Help with Beginner/Soon to be Stringer

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Solarris, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Solarris

Solarris Regular Member

Student
    Thanks. IDK what you mean about flying clamps vs. fixed. Better job overall meaning I cannot get the same quality of stringing from a flying clamp than a fixed? Assuming same person doing it with skill.

2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

You may lose a little bit of tension and a few last crosses are trickier to clamp. If you account for the changes it's not major and workable. Fixed is easier and more stable. But flying clamps are easily replaceable and stuff.

6 point is a must, skip the 2 points please.

3. Solarris

Solarris Regular Member

Student
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to be honest, fixed clamps are more secure and more accurate. it will also allow you to grow because sooner or later you will want to have a fixed clamp. like I did.

but then they are also more expensive and you need to get the ones specific for badminton string spacing.

5. Solarris

Solarris Regular Member

Student
    I am trying to save $. I am only in 9th grade. I'm on HS team prob till 12th, idk if I play after, that's why I go cheap.

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    What we are recommending is cheap, but it also of the minimum quality we would expect. Spending 200 on a stringing machine without the necessary components, like 6 mounting points, would be buying a machine that isn't really fit for modern day stringing. But I understand this is a lot of money for you; maybe reconsider this purchase.

speCulatius likes this.
  7. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

What about a second-hand machine ? It's the cheapest way of finding what you need. And I think it is better to string with good flying clamps (YONEX) than using cheap fixed clamps with cheap clamps support. I use a second-hand pros'pro challenger for years, and it cost me 50€. I took off the used clamping system (clamps support plus fixed clamps) and bought good tools that were more expensive than the machine : Chudek's side supports plus Yonex flying clamps. Results are good since you learn to know your machine. You will probably need to calibrate it correctly. But after that, stringing job after stringing job, you will experiment and find what tension is good for you. Even if it's less accurate because of the clamps and some loss of tension, the consistency of your process will do the job. Perhaps the result of stringing at 24 Lbs will be less, but it will be consistent, so you will just need to adjust the tension to adapt it to your game, and you can still check the tension with some phone app.
    It is more difficult IMO to learn how to string, than to find a good cheap machine. It takes time, patience and a lot of practice to achieve good results.

#27 flyingcords, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    SnowWhite and LoaS like this.
  8. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

+1 on the yonex flying clamps. Mine are over 10 years old and they still perform as if they were new. I've never had problems with strings slipping, even at high-ish (28-30) tensions and slippery strings. In my experience, the tension you might lose compared to fixed clamps is either nil, or negligible.

flyingcords likes this.
  9. flyingcords

You are the first stringer on the forum who says so. I'm happy to read that, because I am so used to string with flying clamps and satisfied by the results, that I still don't feel ready and convinced to upgrade and change my machine and use fixed clamps.

10. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I understand the theory on the inferiority of flying clamps. Even though the strings don't slip in the clamps, the clamps themselves can move back a little when you release the tension on the tensioning mechanism, therefore theoretically losing tension. However in my experience, when you tension the next string, it pulls the clamp forward again, largely, if not completely negating the lost tension.

I fully believe that perfect solid stationary clamps don't allow for lost tension at all, but I feel the inferiority of flying clamps to fixed clamps is sometimes overestimated. If you give any player in the world 2 rackets with the same string setup, but one was done with flying clamps, how many would be able to tell them apart. I disagree with the idea that flying clamps are only "good enough" or "fine if you don't have fixed clamps". I think you can produce a very high quality stringjob with flying clamps, not simply "good enough".

flyingcords likes this.
  11. flyingcords

Who can say the same thing about fixed clamps ? 10 years, like new ? IMO this is proof that flying clamps are more string-friendly than fixed ones because the pressure of the double-clamp is less important on the string and therefore there is less risk of damage for the string and less fatigue on the internal surface of the clamp. And no need to adjust the pressure of the clamp. Nothing compared to the fixed clamps' maintenance. And slippery issues too.

#31 flyingcords, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    don't get me started on

- the stupid design for fixed clamp. too much legacy thinking and no one think out of the box anymore
    - the incredible tension loss and partial recovery of tension in a flying clamp

both of which deserve their own threads.

13. Solarris

Solarris Regular Member

Student
    Alright guys. Sorry for no responses for a while...
    I got lots of people to chip in for the machine so now we are thinking about
    Alpha Pioneer DC Plus.

IDK about whether the above machine's fixed clamps are crappy or not. If they are crappy I will go back to the Gamma X-6 and buy Yonex Flying. Anyways, ^ has 6 points, linear DW, and overall better than Gamma X-6FC imo. I am aware that when I get it I will have to replace the washers or something... I'll read more when I get it.

Any experience with Alpha Pioneer DC Plus, anyone?

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    be aware that the string spacing for tennis and badminton rackets are different. if the clamps are designed for tennis spacing, the teeth won't fit into badminton string bed easily. some brands/shop allow you to swap with badminton clamps, some brands (like Gamma) has universal clamps that works with both.

15. flyingcords

It's exactly the same as my Pro's Pro challenger. Same manufacturer.

16. Solarris

Solarris Regular Member

Student
    Ok. I asked if they were badminton or tennis or universal clamps. If need be, I'll get Yonex Flying and also a starting clamp. It comes with awl, needle-nose pliers, diagonal cutters, am I set?

17. flyingcords

Perhaps something new : MiStringer Portable machine

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    got out of the box alright, but fell off into the ravine...

19. J Reid

J Reid New Member

20. J Reid

J Reid New Member

How you like the Penta Premium? I'm just about to order one?
    It's between that 8600, an Eagnas flex 865 or flash 930. I l would love any advice you could offer