Astrox 99 vs Astrox 88D

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by AznDude, Sep 17, 2018.

1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Does anybody have any experience with 4u Astrox 99 and 3u Astrox 88D? I'm wondering if there's much difference in weight and ease of movement between these two frames.

I saw that the swing weights racquetforce posted for these two was very close but wondered if there was any first hand experience to back that up.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

2. cfyung85

cfyung85 Regular Member

Student
    I’ve been using both Armotec 600 and VT60 for years now playing doubles. Both rackets are 4u, slightly head heavy, and flexible.

I decided to buy the AX99 4u despite reading what most people said (only for really advance players like kento momota, only for singles, very head heavy and not easy to maneuver etc etc).

Mind you VT60 is not really that head heavy and is highly maneuverable (even more than AX88S).

I got my AX99 4u last week strung with BG85 @ 25lb. I was quite anxious at first because I’ve never used a head heavy stiff racket before. But after the first day of using it, I found out that what most people said isn’t true.

A 4u AX99 is as maneuverable. It is evidently more head heavy than a VT60 but it’s not like you’re holding an iron bat. Smash are totally effortless. (Yes the smashes are awesome. I don’t even know how to describe that feeling... it’s just awesome... for the first time I felt Yonex marketing of these rotational generator and Namd is real). Clearing and back hand are effortless. And it’s still as fast as a VT60. My wrist, elbow, and shoulder didn’t hurt one bit after the day of playing.

Now I didn’t get a chance to use the AX88 but given that the AX99 4u is not really that hard to use like what most people said, I’m very happy with it. Maybe the AX88D will perform better in doubles? But for me the AX99 works fine. If you’re a beginner I would say stay away from it.

3. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

Problem is that ax99 seems to have QC issues. You can get one that is mostly the same as 88d or one that is HH like zf2!
    I had 3 ax99; one SP and 2 JP. The balance point of the SP was 10-15mm higher than the JP. When you held it, it feels like 2 different rackets. The SP was stronger but slower. That might be why some people says it's a single racket.
    I think the JP i have are what the racket is supposed to be. A bit head heavier than 88D but it's still quick, pretty strong and easy to generate power. It is very usable in double.

4. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

Are you able to get the head weight of the ax99 4u (JP)? If it's close to the ax88d 4u's 40g, it would be my replacement.

5. Michel Aupin

I don't have a scales :( But if I can borrow one from a friend, i'll post the result

6. ks138

ks138 New Member

Totally agreed with cfyung85 bout AX99. Been considering either AX88D (3U) or the AX99 (4U) for few months, recently bought the AX99 (4U), surprisingly it is maneuverable and pack a punch in drive, lift, push..Used to favour my N92, but now the tide has changed. Though it is heavier and stiffer than N92, but the maneuverability is excellent, think maybe the NAMD system works up to its task.

decoy likes this.
  7. yoman

yoman Regular Member

just to share for those pondering about 88/99 3u/4u:

Being using 99 and 88d in 4u since september, 99 is very much more hh, BP difference is about 12mm. 88d became my preferred for doubles, however it lack abit of power i wished for.
    Recently I have been thinking of trying a 88d-3u, since some users reflect that it would be faster than 99-4u.
    However I came across Victor powerizer lead tape, and tried on my 88d-4u, adding 1.2g to the head. It became a legit "3.6~u", almost close to 99 swing feel, but slightly faster, slightly lower BP and more balanced overall, as the overall weight is higher. Very pleasant and fits my need quite well.

keinen980511 likes this.
  8. Hc0797

Hc0797 Regular Member

Same, whenever I find I'm losing a match due to the zf2 being sluggish in defense I instantly replace it with my ax99 and it gets the job done, clears like a pro, it doesn't feel as solid as the zf2 but I never strung it with 66UM so I'll need to test that out, as for the shaft it's very stiff and feels 3u ish.. but the larger frame gives me more confidence sometimes..

9. roderickh

roderickh Regular Member

I've used 3U rackets for many years now (ARC-Zs, NS8000, Arc8DX, VT70, BS12, ARC11) and will only stick to it as that's what I've likened. Bought a 4U VT70 and thought that thing was so bad to play with I sold it immediately and got another Arc11 3U to replace it as a back up.

Very recently I tested my friend's 3U and 4U 88D - instantly fell in love with the 4U which I have bought since. Don't necessarily think that because a racket is lighter it may adversely affect your play.

I tried switching between my 3U Arc11 & 4U 88D yesterday and can proudly say that my 88D produces power easier (higher BP I guess?)

All my rackets are strung with BG80 at 26lbs.

visor likes this.
  10. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

Shaft stiffness, BP, NAMD, energy boost cap and rotational generator system, a bit of everything.

visor and roderickh like this.
  11. r10sai.tm

r10sai.tm New Member

I bought Astrox 99 4U and 88D 3U.
    I personally think 88D is better, although my friend whom I share racket with thinks otherwise.
    I feel 4u version of 99 maybe a lil lighter for singles and the 3U definitely feels too heavy.
    Whereas I was able to play very well with 88D on both singles and doubles front.
    Ax 99 4u is faster than 88D 3U, and powerwise 88D beats 99 4u big time.
    Even slice shots and clears were better using 88D than 99.

I'm a back court player who smashes not as often.
    The strings for both are Yonex Aerobite at 25lbs.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

12. BenDminton

BenDminton New Member

No one has mentioned the head shape or stiffness so far. I guess the stiffness of them is pretty much the same, right (at least according to the racket matrix)? How about the head shape?

Also, I'd be curious to know, how they compare to the zf2 and ld force.

Some people said, that the zf2 is even heavier, so to replace a zf2 the 99 would be the obvious choice?

Would the ld force then be similar to the 88d (i.e. a little less heavy and a little less stiff) ?

#52 BenDminton, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  13. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

How about 3U Ax99 LCW and 3U Ax88D for doubles??

I have always been using 3U racquet (Voltric 80, Voltric LDF, Ax88D) for doubles and have no issue with them. Currently in love with 3U Ax88D but wishing it pack abit more punch in smash as per my previous racquet (Although it is is better in all other department)

14. Michel Aupin

In my case, Ax99 lcw have great control, more power and smashes are steeper but it is more tiring on the arm after like 2 hours of men's double. Ax88d feels faster, great for drives and smashes are effortless.

To gain something, you have to sacrifice something. It depends if you are willing to sacrifice what you love about your ax88d for a little gain in power.

15. Azmi Yusof

So your saying just 4U Ax99 LCW pack more punch than a 3U Ax88D? Albeit with sacrifice in some areas. Interesting..

Based on that logic.. A 3U AX99 LCW would be the same effect although by several factor more. But in my experience with rackets, some are not that simple or have linear relationships (case in point.. Voltric LDF vs Ax88D) .

Thats why I'm waiting to see if anyone have a real life experience with both in 3U.

Thanks for your input though..

#55 Azmi Yusof, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  16. Michel Aupin

?? 4u ax99 LCW ??? Why are you talking about 4u? o_Oo_O I never said 4u :D You asked about their 3u versions.

17. Azmi Yusof

Ahh... Apologies then.. Because I read your post to this thread (post #2 & #36 below) where u mentioned having experience with 4U AX 99 thus I assume u are talking abt the 4U version.

18. Michel Aupin

No problem :D

The first batch of ax99 was completly different than the new ones and the ax99 lcw. The balance point was like 10mm different or more. I found the new lcw version much easier to play and the 3u version is now more usable, even in double.

19. Clayton_

Clayton_ New Member

I would choose the 88d over the 99
    For 99 you can opt for the 4u since it moves sorta like 3u
    For 88d 3u is good since its already made to be fast and its a doubles racket after all
    And you might want the extra solidity and power 3u provides

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

20. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Can anyone suggest essentially an 88D 4U G5 with a more flexible shaft? I tried one and loved it except I need more flex to help with power.