How is my cross-court shot form?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Starik, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Starik

Starik New Member

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Who is hitting cross court?

3. Starik

Starik New Member

Whatever that final shot was then I guess. I'm the white guy.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Cheung and LenaicM like this.
  5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Nevermind the who's who - though I admit, it would have been a hell of a lot easier just saying you're in black :D

To answer "how is my cross court shot?", the question "what were you trying to achieve?" is first necessary.

I would say if you were aiming to hit cross court in any manner possible, you achieved it. It definitely went crosscourt - 10/10, well done!

If you were to tell me you were trying to go for a crosscourt sliced drop, i'd tell you it was poor (3/10). If you were trying for a crosscourt full smash, it would also be poor (2/10). If you were trying for a crosscourt clear, it would be mega poor (0/10). If you were going for a crosscourt stick/point/half smash, then i'd say you did pretty well (8/10).

Other related aspects which depend on what you were trying to do:
    • your preparation and outward footwork (bad movement if you're trying for a 100% cross smash for example)
    • your recovery (balance and footwork)
    Spend the effort to ask the right questions and then maybe you can expect people to spend their time and effort to give you the right answers.

LenaicM likes this.
  6. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Regarding your experiences here and on reddit, you should start to refer to some clothing you are wearing (I'm the guy in the black shirt), so that people will try to answer your question instead of commenting on your choice of words.

According to your previous posts, you are still a beginner. Nevertheless, I think that you played a successful crosscourt deceptive shot for your level. Deception is the keyword, when you try to feint a shot (e.g. a long clear) and then execute an other shot (e.g. crosscourt shot). Regardless of the shot execution and that a more experienced player can read the shot, the idea is the right one. Deception will be one of the most importnt aspect in your game, once you make more progress.

But at your level I would still try to master the basic shots first, before you try to commit too much energy on deception.

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

ouf of interest, given that he is hitting from so near the centre line.. what makes it cross court?

is it that somehow being sideways on gives it some kind of "cross court" feel or rather, 'cos he's facing more towards one side but hitting to the other side? Would it make any difference if he was facing forwards?

[​IMG]

8. Ballschubser

If you would look from a bird eye view, then he roughly hit the shuttle from the center to the left corner, a shot which I would normally not call a crosscourt shot. But I think, that the intention was, to hit from his forhand corner, crosscourt to the opponents forhand corner. Therefor I think, that it is valid to call it a crosscourt shot, because of the intention.

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Are you suggesting that if the opponent's handedness was the other way, then it'd have not been a crosscourt shot?

So, as a note for reference- Guy in black is hitting it from centre towards the top left. And both players are right handed. It is a forehand hit to his opponent's forehand side.

i.e., are you suggesting that if the opponent had been left handed, then that same shot from centre to top left, wouldn't have been a cross court shot?!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The only cross court shot is the serve.

ralphz likes this.
  11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I think you're right. and worth noting that the server was the red guy(rather than the OP who is in black)!

So I suppose the shot the OP is calling cross court, i.e. the last shot, is not cross court.

Good to know.

Thanks

12. Ballschubser

No, I only sugguest, that the guy is an early beginner and his intention was to hit crosscourt and this is how he saw it himself. I wouldn't call it a cc myself, as already said.
    I think, that terminolgy is the least important part, especially when he always provides some videos to show us what he means, there's really no reason to beat on him for using the wrong terminolgy, instead a few encouraging words would be a lot more helpful.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  13. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Well I'm also kind of simple and it confused me until Cheung wrote that clarification. Also some beginners reading may want to know that it's not CC, and it would help them when they talk with people.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I lean to using consistent terminology. Coaching manuals will not change their definitions.