Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you ! Once I get that overhead hip rotation corrected what would you think would be the next issue that I can fix to “fine tune” it ?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Left arm counter balance. After you hit the shuttle, your left arm splays out wildly. Have a look at some slow motion videos of that and compare with pros.

Mason likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I think I can work on that, any recommendations or cues as to how I should improve on the left arm ?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just the same as your do before with trying to get your right leg to rotate forward.

Smash slowly, one at time, be aware of your left hand position.

Mason likes this.
  5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did some scissor jump and china jump practice yesterday before some games. I still need to work on starting the movement earlier to make better use of the power from my legs. Here is a short video of some of those movements with shuttles and then also my weekly shots video

6. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Is there a special reason why the strokes are so slow and you are always standing in the same place? Normally it makes sense to stand in the middle and then go back and hit at the baseline. Then you learn the complete sequence of movements. It is easy to play from half field to half field and thats not very effective training...

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

There is no good reason for this. When i was doing this i didn't think it all the way through as this was just a warmup to the games. You made some good points and next time i will try to make it a point to go back to the center to make it more realistic

8. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

[​IMG]

In that case, for example, that would be a great exercise for you. You play Clear + Movement and your opponents play both Clear Cross. In addition, your opponents could play "control shuttles" to your frontcourt. This will automatically push you into the middle after your shot and you cant go direct from left to right.

Mason likes this.
  9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

good suggestion!!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think you better not try jump smash at this stage. Your form suffers a lot when you try this.

It's OK to go up into the shuttle and do a small hop but you still haven't got a very consistent kinetic chain and leg position. Still going for too much power.

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I’ve been attempting to do a scissor jump smash but sometimes I get too ambitious
    :(

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I notice that a lot of your scissor kicks involve jumping back, but you know ideally it's better if you don't jump back when doing that? Also, the music you picked seems like the exact same theme tune used by a pretty good badminton channel that shows good play and has good advice.. I'm not saying you can't rip off the theme tune he used, but why not use your own theme music instead of the one he chose for videos on his channel?

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

yes i realize that sometimes i jump back, thats still one of my main things that I am trying to improve, that is to get my body going forward when possible.
    I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the music.....:rolleyes:

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

if you try it without the shuttle then can you do a scissor kick landing further forward than you were?

and if you try it with a shuttle but the shuttle isn't far behind you, so you are back behind it, can you do it?

sometimes you will have no choice but to jump back with your scissor kick..

this is the badminton b channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw8SthpzSrXguMiMcPmwXVA

notice the music they use, maybe it is a strange coincidence or maybe you saw them before and forgot.

visor likes this.
  15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yeah I’ve never seen that channel before.
    I just mostly use the free music found on my YouTube app.

16. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Sooooo many videos use the same free music. TikTok has the same problem. I still think you should use Yakety Sax (and speed up 1.5 times) for your game videos :D

Anyway, another smash video that builds up the steps to structure your technique.

DarkHiatus and Mason like this.
  17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yeah I saw that video yesterday. You can always just speed up my game videos yourself to 1.5 times on YouTube ?:p

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I am up to 1 year of video logs with much of the year focusing on pronation and a proper swing. Halfway through the year I started to realize that doing footwork training along with swing training would have been a better use of my time as opposed to practicing my stroke in isolation without my lower body. Regardless I have made some good progress and ill continue to try to work to get better. Last night I was able to get my right hip moving forward on many of my overhead strokes with a scissor. I also was able to do a fair amount of stick smashes using pronation and overall I was playing much better. I started off the night with footwork drills focusing on a good split set to all 6 corners. I also did a lot of drives and then the net, drop, lift drill. On this drill (as recommended) I focused on not moving until my partner hit the shuttle. That way I simulated a real game situation. While doing this I exposed a huge weakness. When I go to the net and drop, I would wait until may partner lifted, then I would go to the back court.....I had a lot of trouble getting to the back court in time. So moving forward I am going to work on being faster in my footwork. My plan to accomplish being faster in my footwork is to:

1.)work on my split step to all 6 corners
    2.) being more on my toes and trying to "glide" through footwork drills
    3.) work on my coordination from the front of the court, to the back of the court.
    4.)proper recovery from all shots

Thanks again for everyone feedback and support

19. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

One tip, I use one of these badminton footwork apps for my mobile phone and place my mobile phone on a tripod to avoid looking down. It is like a digital version of the policeman drill. For one you can't anticipate the next corner and if you choose a small interval, you need to recover more quickly back to the base and it helps to establish a rhythm.

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

which app is that? And is it for iOS or Android?