Which Ankle Support?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Rykard, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I got mine on both although my ankles are fine now, just for precaution. Saved my ass a lot of times.

2. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

I got my first sprain in my entire life last week and fortunately, it was mild and controlled. I got it while walking out of the court, somehow side stepped and tadaa, sprained it. Yes, what an uncool way to sprain it.

Anyhow, bought a pair of the A60. Now doing several drills moving all over the court and realised that I am hesitating. This is bad.

So my question to users of the A60, can I be confident and let the A60 do its job? What level of roll-proof can the brace provide?

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm using the A60 now for about 4 years and haven't had a single sprain ever since. Before that, I sprained both of my ankles in various degrees regularly, so I would rule out that this issue-free timeframe is coincidence only.

Anyway, they won't be able to protect you in every possible scenario. Imagine full on jump that you land right on the edge of your sole. Then of course it's possible that you will role your ankle outwards, even with the A60 in place. The question then is - how badly will you roll it? And that's where the A60 surely will limit or reduce the "rolling angle" and hence will reduce the severity of the sprain.

Long story short: There is no way to reduce the risk of a sprain to 0%, but the A60 clearly provides some significant support and protection. And it always takes some time after a "shock moment" like this to get it out of your head and move freely again.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You can fully trust the A60s. They are very good at protecting your ankles. Like I said before, they saved my ass numerous times. Last year I landed akwardly on my left foot only (while doing an awkward round-the-head shot on my backhand side after being deceived) and twisted a few times inside the A60 before going down. I was in shock, this happened before and I was unable to even walk properly for 3 weeks, let alone play badminton again. Took me over 3 months to get back to where I was before. After that I never took them off. So I was extremely worried after that happened again. But guess what, with the A60 there was no swelling, no sprain, no torn ligaments this time. Just very mild pain and a psychological shock. I paused for a minute to check my ankle and was even able to finish the tournament. If you tighten them properly without compressing your bloodflow they are an insane protection.

Would I recommend them to you? Only if you have weak ligaments or wrong technique. Looks like it didn‘t happen during normal play. If I were you, I‘d forget about it, the psychological fear of another ankle sprain will pass. If it happens again, maybe think about it. Even then, best option would be doing stability excercises or some sort of muscle training (are there even any in the ankle?).

s_mair likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's a very good point actually. If so far you haven't had any incident on court during actual play, then I would seriously think about wearing braces at all. Although that advice might be coming a little late since you already bought your A60s.

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I'm predisposed to rolling my left ankle, and had to wear a support several times from spraining it. Hypermobility is a gift and a curse :D but I personally found that getting proper orthotics helped reduce my risk of injury. Expensive, but they're a nice preventative measure rather than wearing velcro boots.

7. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

Yea, I have already bought a pair. Guess I might as well use it for my games as a prevention.

Btw, how often do you wash your brace? After every game?

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh hell no! :D
    I'd say I wash them every four to six weeks, depending on usage. Normally, I wear them for about 2-3 hours per week max though. I make sure to let them dry thoroughly after every use and luckily, they don't start to smell at all.

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

If you put them over longer socks you don‘t have to wash them that often, as compared to very short ankle socks.

10. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

So, today I wore the a60s throughout the session. Decided to go all out. I am impressed by how stable the brace is. You were right about able to trust the a60s and go without hesitation.

The only minor problem I have is the outer stabiliser is gripping onto my socks (I wore high crew socks) and was chafing me. When I took them off, I could see redness on my skin.

You guys have any experience with the chafing?

11. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there

I had the same issue when i started to use my A60 on my left ankle. After using it every time i train and play, eventually after few months and esp when the feeling of comfort and familiarizing with it has developed (to the extend where you even didn't realized you're in fact wearing it while playing), those mental and physical issues ie hesitation, not confident, discomfort etc has eventually gone . When your feeling and acceptance has already create that confident level of bond while using A60 every time you go and play badminton, you then continue to treat it similarly like your need to have that necessary proper equipments down there such as your socks/shoes before playing.

12. justplaynow77

justplaynow77 Regular Member

So I finally got a pair of these Aircast A60 and tried it out.

They feel good and really do their job well guarding the ankle. My feet feel securely in place. However... A question to all Aircast A60 experienced users here - are they supposed to feel stiff? (silly question maybe).. but I feel my feet move slower than usual with them.. any comments or tips on how to use them maybe?

13. justplaynow77

justplaynow77 Regular Member

So I finally got a pair of these Aircast A60 and tried it out.

They feel good and really do their job well guarding the ankle. My feet feel securely in place. However... A question to all Aircast A60 experienced users here - are they supposed to feel stiff? (silly question maybe).. but I feel my feet move slower than usual with them.. any comments or tips on how to use them maybe?

14. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

I used to have Lateral malleolus fracture 7 years ago. casted by foot for 5 weeks and several sessions of therapy after that. I'm seriously considering wearing one.

Do you think this doesn't feel bulky while wearing this one? not too uncomfortable?

15. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

Brand new, its stiff. Need to wear it in.

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

To me, they only feel stiff in the first couple of minutes wearing them. I actually forget about them after a couple of minutes.

I have ordered one of these to test:

https://www.physioroom.com/product/...Protection_of_Sprained_Ankles/3121/42334.html

They look similar to the A60 but hopefully show less wear and tear on the outer material.

justplaynow77 likes this.