Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    That seems a bit harsh on YYS. I agree with the latter part of that but he is not without any outstanding talents, it's just that its not so obvious.

YYS technique is not the prettiest but he does have some strong qualities. His smash is perhaps the most notable. He possesses one of the most accurate smashes in MD in my books and was devastating with the power he could generate. Not many had this combination. The philosophy he adopted when he partnered LYD was not to smash crosscourt very much or risk going for winners - presumably to ensure a better chance of engaging LYD at the front and better win rate. So he was limited on where he could place his smashes. He would aim most of his smashes at that awkward elbow area of his opponents time after time. None of his other team mates were able to do this as consistently - including the late JJS. This was a clever tactic as I'm sure YYS knew he couldn't sustain a hard smash for long unlike KSH or JJS so he had to play a smash that had the highest chance of a weak return to share the load with LYD.

He was also very consistent on service returns. Hardly any mistakes despite a rather unorthodox playing style.

stanleyfm, ant01, Saru and 2 others like this.
  2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I also believe Yoo to be under-rated and agree with R20190´s post above

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Meh, I don't know. Since I haven't been able to have an extended conversation to clear up some stuff like that, whether it was intentional, how much thought went into it all, I can't really say how much of it was only instict/chance...
    What I can judge is only what I can see on court, and he had no real outstanding quality to me that made him one of only a handful in the world, you know? Obviously he wasn't without a great deal of talent, or he wouldn't have succeeded at the level he was at, but much like MGF these days, it wasn't in his technique or anything visible past pure physicality and tenacity. The one thing I do definitely credit him with is an athletic talent that he made good use of with his work ethic (again, similar to MGF).
    What I meant to say is that he didn't have something that made him stand out like JJS' incredible disguised drop shots, for example, or FHF thunder smash, LYD's speed at the net (esp. intercepting drives), or Setiawan's apparent ability to read his opponents' minds...
    He provided a very solid platform for LYD to shine, and that is admirable in its own way, yet part of his job was also to not be overly creative or take to many risks.

Side note - I thought he had one of the ugliest smash forms for someone who arguably was one of the Top5-10 smashers at some point of their career. And how he smashes like 8 consecutive times sometimes made me want to scream into a pillow :D
    Some of his technical peculiarities are definitely very common in Korea as well, there's a lot of very panhandle-y players there and while it physically hurts me to watch it sometimes, if it gets taught and reinforced for years and years you can hardly blame the player himself for his technique. I just wish I knew why they teach it so much when it has such big weaknesses at a top level (sorry if this is drifting a bit off-topic).

visor and R20190 like this.
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah me neither. Theres different types of players in regards to training volume as well. Some (me included) need more training than others to keep sharp and consistent. Others will have lower needs if they just want to maintain their reading of the game, or their consistency.

5. event

event Regular Member

Sorry, nothing really to add. I haven't spoken to Yoo since just before the Canada Open and he seemed positive, by why wouldn't he? The chances of top players speaking candidly about their partners privately or to the media are extremely slim. I do wonder whether the Lee-Yoo reunion was prompted by the Kim² reunion. Just 3 days after they announced their partnership was a one-off, the Chinese Taipei lists came out, showing that Kim Gi Jung had gone back to partnering Lee Yong Dae. So who knows? It could have little to do with Yoo Yeon Seong at all.

wade likes this.
  6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

What actually happened between them?

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He said it right in the post you quoted - that there's rumors of them having big differences after the Rio OG.

Having watched some of Lee/Yoo's match vs Lee/Yang at the US Open, I cant help but come back to it. Yoo looks SO out of it. Slow. No danger in his attack whatsoever. And he completely lost his rhythm, which makes it so much worse....it also pronounces many of the same things I criticized Marcus Gideon Fernaldi for - huge overswings, very 'linear' technique, and when you don't have the outstanding physicality to make it work, that really is shown to be a weakness. If you're in full flow and have a below average reaction time even for pro players, you can make it work, but when you're struggling with the tempo anyway, you're going to be a liability in defense and the flat game.
    Personally, I see no reason why LYD should continue playing with this version of Yoo over KGJ, at least KGJ is dangerous from the back court.

8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Right. I was asking more precisely what were those differences about. If by any chances anyone knew about it.

9. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I thought my hand skin was bad from playing badminton, but actually mine looks like baby skin compared to LYD :eek:

phucle likes this.
  10. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

Another first round loss for LYD, he should be more patient with YYS..

Feel bad for him, he's not used to keep losing in the earlier round like this, and to think his old rival ahsan/setiawan still dominating the MD world right now....

11. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Clearly there's something we are missing. I saw an interview a few months ago where yys was announcing that he and lyd were reuniting in a bid to qualify for the OG. This was after a few tournaments where he looked decent but slow and where kgj was overly error prone.

In the interview (and other recent videos) you could see yys was a shell of his former self and he stated that he had lost 5 kg. Since he was far from fat before, that meant he lost 5 kilos of muscle, which for a guy of skinny metabolism is enormous. So that would have required mammoth training to rebuild, not to mention the training required to make him explosive and enduring.

So physically it would have been hard for both yys and lyd to regain the strength, speed and stamina of yesteryears to return to top competition. On top of that if they had a personal conflict, then they would have had no choice but to pull out and end their partnership.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

12. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

Could you by any chance post some links to those videos?

13. phucle

phucle New Member

Lee Yong Dae is the player who sparked my interest in badminton. Needless to say, I follow him religiously. What makes me sad is that he refused to change his game to account for his age. His power, explosiveness, reaction have all slowed down. But he keeps playing the same way he played when he won the 2008 Olympic (when he was 18). First of all, his once godly defense with extremely low center of gravity just is not possible without immense wrist strength, leg strength and touch. He needs to borrow a page from Hendra Seatiawan and start reading the game more, stop defending with his backhand and switch to a forehand defense when it becomes clear that his younger opponents would overwhelm his backhand defense anyway.

Be creative with his attack, both front and back court. In the back, start using more variety, hit controlling shots more, no more 10 smashes-in-a-row. In the front, take more chances. As an older player, it's better to go for a 40%-chance-of-winning shot while he still has the power rather than playing a safe drop shot hoping that he can create another scenario with higher chance of winning. Realize that the longer the game goes on, the worse his and his partner's shots will be.

Stop hoarding the court. LYD needs to trust his partner more and take care of his side of the court. This will allow him to receive shots better. Gone are the days when he could exclusively lifted to his side of the court and receive the brunt of the attack.

I am sure he or his coaches know all of this. As a Korean though, he probably can't help working hard rather than working smart. :))

14. phucle

phucle New Member

It's not that I disagree with you much. But all in all, YYS is probably the best Korean player available for LYD. LYD can't team up with Shin due to personal differences, with Ko...well, we all know how that turned out. YYS is actually decent at the service situation, tenacious in defense if only lacking a bit creativity, and sufficiently powerful in the back court. Most importantly, YYS adapted his game for the sake of LYD. Who else on the Korean team has that level of self-sacrifice? Remember that LYD/YYS was a extremely successful pair with more titles than even Cai Yun/FHF.

Second, it's unfair to blame backcourt players for "linear" playstyle. It's their job to deliver consistent attack. Their heavy rackets make it difficult, if not dangerous to use too much wrist action, thus resulting in the perceived lack of creativity and deception.

Baddie lover and LenaicM like this.
  15. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

#3875 rhoder, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Baddie lover likes this.
  16. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

With all due respect to the skills of LYD, being his partner really does suck. The snobbish aura around him, I really respect YYS for putting up with that throughout their partnership. I felt that the only partner that LYD thought of as an equal was JJS, since then I think he felt no partner was good enough for him, not even YYS though he had to accept him.

Similar to the KSS/MGF situation now, an exceptional diva personality paired with a subservient technically inferior partner. Incidentally, both these pairs could not achieve much success on the biggest stage (KSS/MGF win at AG as an exception). I do wonder if unbalanced partnerships with an exceptional individual can work as well as a more balanced partnership.

17. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Ahead of LYD/KGJ semifinal match, let's relive those golden moments imo best MD rallies. Below is some highlights of LYD/JJS vs Cai/Fu of AE 2012. I instantly got hooked to MD due to these type of rallies between LYD/JJS and Cai/Fu. One of the best rivalries ever.

j4ckie likes this.
  18. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

Just watched LYD/Kim match against the malaysian pair, honestly still not that impressed by them. LYD's serve just not getting any better, it's way too inconsistent...and to make it worse, he often get faulted that makes his confidence level goes down. he makes more mistake in his defense and interception too. I gotta give credit to kim, I think he played really well and has been serving really well in this match.

I'm gonna be surprised if they can beat alfian/ardianto in the semi final

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  19. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Is KKT their coach now????

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

20. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Kim on fire today

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk