Li Ning No. 1 String - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Good points, thank you for sharing your experience. I recently switched from 24-26 lb tension to 22 to try to get more power in my shots, and maybe I'm just experiencing a completely different feel from those slightly higher tensions. I'm going to spend a little more time with 80P because I do like the repulsion, and I had some wonderful net play the other night with it, so it probably is me, not the string.

I brought up No 1 because from everything I've read (mostly on this thread) I've convinced myself that LN No.1 and NBG 99 are the best strings out there in terms of retaining playability over time, with very good all-around properties. It doesn't help that I keep seeing in my mind the Yonex string chart that says control for 80P is 6/10, and Li Ning's chart gives No.1 9/10. Completely made up numbers I understand, which is where real input from people like you makes all the difference. I'm glad to know that you are happy with BG80P.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Yeah, you are right. the ratings for control are just numbers. No brand would give any own product a lower rating than 6. Especially across different brands it's nearly useless. Li Ning rate only there own products inside their own universe. Yonex do the same. NBG99 is also a good string, which you should gave a try. I wouldn't take the ratings serious. BG80 is according to Yonex a repulsion string, but as for me the roughest coating across their strings. Much more bite than Aerobite. :D NBG99 don't have many fans, I just liked it fresh. But it isn't a 10 in control the coating is pretty close to BG80P, maybe very slightly more textured, but worlds apart from BG80. Especially BG80 yellow is slightly rougher than white. Do you used BG80P white or orange?

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The question I have is this: What is the definition of “control”? Cause let’s face the truth, the ability to play let’s say a clear consistently to the spot that you’re targeting has very little to do with the strings that you have on your racket. It’s your technique and the fact that you have to be used to your string of choice and the tension you’re using.

The difference for me with rougher or grippier strings like BG80 is when you use slice shots or want to play tumbling net shots. You will be able to transfer more of the lateral or “spinning” part of the shot to the shuttle. So for example you might be able to play steeper sliced drop shots with BG80 than with No.1 - but IMO it’s in no way easier to play that shot consistently to the desired target.

I was a long term BG80 user before moving to No.1 and I was sure that I must have a rough string to feel comfortable. Truth is that it took a couple of weeks until I was fully used to the less grippy No.1 and was starting to have issues when I switched back to BG80. So with many other things it’s completely matter of personal taste if you prefer a rough or a more slippery string. Just look at the pro scene. Carolina Marin became World and Olympic Champion using the eel-like NBG95. And I don’t think anyone said that her game was lacking “control” in any way.

speCulatius and ucantseeme like this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

An excellent control string is where the shuttle goes exactly where you think it should go, plus or minus a few cm. The more irregular the placement (compared to a previous control string, eg G-Tone 5 in my case), the worse is the control... eg NBG98.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So are we talking about a like “the more repulsion, the more delicate to control it”? That one I can grasp - at least I simply couldn’t get that hilarious Aerosonic repulsion under control...
    Or is it more a tolerance thing in the behaviour of the string?
    I mean, we agree that it is doable to hit all possible spots on court with every string out there, right? So why should it be easier to repeat that precise shot more easily with string A compared to B? Given that you can physically replicate the same shot consistently. Or the other way round, why you should be able to hit the same spot with a less consistent swing/contact point?

Seriously, I never got why especially rough strings have this aura of providing better (meaning: more consistent) control over the shuttle. More spin, more slice - yes. But is that control?

#1225 s_mair, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Babar likes this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

My theory/understanding is that rougher strings have a better grip on the shuttle, so the exit angle is more consistent than a slippery string. Less sliding around on the stringbed...

#1226 visor, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That’s the theory. But is it really the case in reality? I would love to see some super slo-mo footage of that, especially concerning the sliding thing. I mean, when the shuttle is hit dead flat and without any slice or spin, why should there be an slipping at all? Also, the over/under structure of the strings should offer enough texture to limit the slipping to a very minimum. It’s not like the surface of BG80 is made of superglue that completely prevents any slipping.

In other words, I’m still convinced that “control” is made of >80% player’s technique and <20% racket/string behaviour. If you have a sloppy technique, switching to BG80 will not all of a sudden a deadly precise line hunter.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Nope, same player same racket comparable tensions ... G-Tone 5 beats NBG98 easily and noticeably any day any time in control dept. The exit angle is simply more consistent with GT5.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The only fair test would be if that certain player is equally used to both setups. And that’s where it gets impossible to actually do that test. If you’re used to GT5 and switch to NBH98, then your control will be completely messed up, that’s for sure. But also the other way round.

Quick summary of my point of view - the role of the string when it comes to „control“ is often highly overrated in the discussions we see around here. Working on technique or simply getting used to a certain string in depth will have a much, much bigger impact. And I’m pretty sure we do agree on that.

speCulatius likes this.
  10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Just played with the famous #1 for the first time on my freshly strung racket - 12 kgs. One word: wow :cool:.

(Coming from BG80 at the same tension)

11. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

How would any of you compare the repulsion of No.1 to BG80 and BG80P?

12. phantan123

phantan123 Regular Member

Repulsion wise BG80 and No.1 cant be further apart but BG80P is closer.
    It goes like this No.1>80P>>80

13. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Thank you. I got some No.1 and can't wait until the BG80P currently on my racket wears out so I can try it. Will 1 feel stiffer or softer than 80P at the same tension?

14. phantan123

phantan123 Regular Member

It'll probably feel the same although personally i found No.1 more crispy.

15. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

For me No1 is noticeably more repulsive than BG80 (12kgs). Both are overall very good but after 1 year of using exclusively BG80, I switched to No1 for the first time and it was like day and night. When late on the shuttle in the rearcourt I was feeling how much more repulsive and powerful is the No1. The strings moves a lot more than the BG80 and need to be readjusted between rallies. Also and since it is more repulsive, it is disturbing at first at the net where the shuttle tends to go higher than when using BG80 but it's a matter of getting used to it.

Overall and imo, the Lining No1 is more forgiving in the backcourt, when late to the shuttle, and it gave me a good feel on court in a way I felt covered a bit more in my rear court. I could cross court or clear taking the shuttle low and late rather easily. I liked smashing with the No1 too.

Repulsion: No1 > BG80

Try it :)

16. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Oooohhhh... I like the crispy feel of brand new strings! And any help I can get in those hard-to-apply-power-to back court shots would be most welcome, especially if made more forgiving. Now I'm trying desperately to keep the scissors out of my hand!

LenaicM likes this.
  17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I may add after one year of using BG80 exclusively and restringing my rackets every month (sometimes one racket only, the other one every 2 months if no tournaments) during this time. So I didn't like the No1 just because it felt fresh after a long time using BG80 strings I may precise.

But yes take those scissors and give it a try. :p

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Come on... do it.... you know you want it too...

LenaicM likes this.
  19. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

When you post on the li-ning No1 thread but have not tried it yet...
    [​IMG]

ucantseeme, s_mair and LenaicM like this.
  20. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

:D:D:D