India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I started following badminton since beginning of 2018 and there isn't a tournament where I didn't expect high form KS and he didn't disappoint me, I am slowly leaving him now.

2. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I've been happy since last August :)
    Have stopped watching matches of all players except Sindhu and Satwik/Chirag.

3. Baddie lover

Kinda feel for you. Anyways, you're not alone. There are other frustrated Indian fans too. Some write, some don't. We can only hope from our junior players to perform in future.

4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thanks man, Its good to share such frustrations.
    The problem is juniors are worse and System is s8it.

5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Instead of going for picnic trips, dudes should realise THE reality and use the time and money in investing in better coaches and practising religiously.

6. Baddie lover

From 10 in first round to 1 in second round to 0 in QF that too in super 500. Marvellous achievement.

7. Baddie lover

Is it time to create a thread (following Malaysian forum) by the title " Is BAI moving in wrong direction ? " or " Indian badminton in wrong direction " or shall all those discussions be on this thread ?

Truth be told, BAI has never been instrumental in growth of this beautiful sport here. It's only due to two academies operating that has given us international level players. Once Sindhu stops winning major medals, it'll be interesting to see what the bosses sitting in cosy chairs of BAI will have to say to fool the people.

Give your views. Is a new thread necessary ? If yes, then this thread will be used for positive news only.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The best thing we can do for ourselves is to ignore that India plays badminton at this level and enjoy the sport rooting for good players from China, Indonesia, Japan etc.

Us ranting about players not performing hasn't done any good neither will ranting about BAI do.

9. Baddie lover

Lol, this thought came to my mind two three days ago. Wow life is a full cycle. Started watching badminton as a kid due to LCW, LYD/JJS, SN . If this is how it's going to end, then be it. Hope is what keeps us alive. I've learnt to live with miserable results of Indian players. If it's the same in future, I'll jump the boat :(:(

10. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Was just checking out the Tops members and I saw Pranav Jerry chopra and siki reddy in the list. Like will they even qualify for the Olympics.... Forget about getting a medal for which the scheme is for.

11. Baddie lover

Has Attri/Reddy also been accommodated to TOPS list so that Sumeeth Reddy could be there with Sikki Reddy ? Can you share the link of TOPS athletes ?

12. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    https://sportsauthorityofindia.nic.in/index1.asp?ls_id=3812
    The list link is at the end of the page
    From badminton you have srikanth, saipraneeth, sameer verma, prannoy, sindhu, saina, rankireddy, chirag shetty, ashwini ponnappa, Sikki Reddy and Pranav Jerry chopra.

Baddie lover likes this.
  13. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    they made a list of 97. I don't think 0.5% of that number will get converted to medals.

THE_LIST = {
    1. Gods
    2. Humans
    3. Animals & Plants
    4. Bacteria
    5. Sikki, Ponappa and picnic party co.
    6. Viruses
    }

I suggest us to ignore topics chronologically lower than bacteria in THE_LIST .

mohans likes this.
  14. Baddie lover

This TOPS list is a joke. Sports Ministry, SAI just putting random names to show that they've done their work. 97 names woww , realistically speaking we have a chance to grab 8 medals. Nothing more than that.

15. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    8 is still very big, I'd say 2-4(max).

16. Baddie lover

Haha I've made a list.

Badminton - 1 Sindhu
    Boxing 2 (panghal and mary)
    Shooting - 3 Saurabh, Saurabh and Manu (pair pistol ) , Divyansh and Apurvi (pair rifle)
    Wrestling- 2 (Bajrang and Vinesh)

17. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thats the ideal case. Given the past data we need to multiply with a factor of safety = 0.5

Baddie lover likes this.
  18. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Was it? I think it's a decent list. Some are very very minute chances while some are just a carry over from asian games.
    Of those 97 medals we have 27 para athletes.
    Of the remaining 70 - 17 are from shooting.... 15 quota holders and Elavanil and mehuli in 10m women air rifle. Shooting completely deserves it.
    Of the remaining 53 - 10 from Athletics. Except Neeraj Chopra all others are just carry over from Asian games and aren't any good. It's a question whether some can even qualify for olympics. Even Neeraj has a huge task in front of him after undergoing his operation after his Asian games heroics.
    Of the remaining 43 - 9 from wrestling. We had our best world championships last year where we won 5 medals out of which 4 are from olympic categories and that too when olympic quotas are on line. Just for comparison in 2015 -1 bronze, 2011 and 2007 no medals.
    Of the remaining 34 - 2 from weightlifting. Mirabai and Jeremy. Jeremy is just 17 years old. Though he might qualify but he is one for the future. While Mirabai will most likely medal. The top 4 in her category (2 chinese, 1 north korean and mirabai) are so much ahead of the rest that 3 of those 4 will medal. Even if the Chinese choose this category they can only field one athlete so it's Mirabai's to loose.
    rem 32- 2 from tennis - That minute expectation which will never come to fruit. With Sania coming back and winning straight away she will be added too.
    Remaining 30 - 3 from TT. Some are having minute expectations here because of mixed doubles bronze in Asian games. But I doubt it.
    Remaining 27 - 11 from badminton - Sindhu or none.
    Remaining 16 - 7 from Archery - leave them. They will always flop at olympics.
    Reaming 9 - boxing. With no AIBA incharge we should first see how many will even qualify. But Amit Phangal is for sure flying high.

ainchekar and Baddie lover like this.
  19. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    4 medals would be a disaster tbf. May be an even bigger disaster than Rio.

Baddie lover likes this.
  20. Baddie lover

Should I make a thread for this in chit chat forum ? Like we had for 2016 Rio .

Cheung likes this.