Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @Mason

Here's your challenge!

I agree it may not be easy.

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I can practice this !

Cheung likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

The practice shown in that video is quite easy for me to do. I have done a lot of repetitions. It will be interesting if it carries over when I hit shuttles

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did a good amount of drive training before the games yesterday . But my legs felt very heavy from a long physical day at work. Anytime my body or legs are tired my shot timing is always off. So I had a lot of mis-hits. I did however do a little bit better job split stepping more often and my drives were a bit better

5. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

It's been a long time I haven't caught up with this thread !

I see that you improved nicely, the form looks good in training, a bit more chaotic on court because you are under pressure and the situation is not ideal as you practiced.

A little tip for when you attempt the jump smash:

- This is valid for all shots actually, getting early behind the shuttle will alleviate some of the pressure and allow you to be more relaxed as you will be able to execute your shots less hastily. Stay low, push on your legs and get to the shuttle as quickly as possible.

- When you try to jump smash, you seem to jump vertically only (with the shuttle above you). Get behind the shuttle and jump FORWARD.

- A lot of time when I see people jump smashing and their legs go both left/right or do not bend backward is because they are too tense or they start the jump on their toes (effectively tensing up their calves). Start with both your feet flat on the ground and do not tense up your body as you go up. When your feet are off the ground is when you start pivoting your hip and chain everything

tip #1 is what will allow tip #2 to happen. In an ideal scenario, you should be early enough to even have a little "pause" to prepare the jump forward

Mason likes this.
  6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the feedback. I think my main goal of faster footwork focusing on proper split step , recovery and basic foowork patterns along being more relaxed will help me to get behind the shuttle. As I play with more advanced opponents that are better than me it pushes my limits and causes me to play a little wild haha
    I’ll continue to work on this , thank you !!!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How is this getting along?

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I think I need to practice this more !! Or perhaps practice with shuttles ?

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Then again maybe I am better at this but I can’t see it

here are my shots from tonight’s games

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

This is why I love the sport!!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don’t really see it either.

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Did some footwork drills today after my lower body weight workout

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

To me, you don’t look like you are activating your left leg to push your body around.

when you go forward for the backhand, your thumb is in the wrong position. Should be held slightly more on the shot bevel and the thumb should a bit straighter on the handle

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok the backhand grip I understand , but can you be more specific about the left leg ?

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Use you left leg to push your whole body into the direction you want rather than just stepping into that direction.

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I get that , I should have been more clear in my question. Can you show me an example of where I’m not doing that so that? Does it happen more in the front court or the back ? Or both ?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The ones where you move to the front after a split step and also when you lunge to the right for a forehand defence shot. You don't really push very well with the rear leg for the initial step and movement.

Very different for the going backwards movement. You really push yourself to go backwards with the leg on the first movement.

Do you have any trouble getting forward to reach dropshots?

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I see what you mean now. No I do not have trouble going to get drop shots but that probably is because I typically position myself too far forward.

Cheung likes this.
  19. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

You should practice landing with both feet at the same time on your split step.
    Your mid-court defense footwork seems a bit awkward - Also I would suggest using your right foot as 'fall-out-foot'(?) on your backhand defense, just like on your front-court backhand.
    The first 30 seconds of footwork doesn't make sense to me - you would typically have a lower stance when defending and not need 'actual' footwork to receive those shots.
    30->1:20: You would typically do those chassé-esque push-offs if you were in rhythm and knowing where the shot would come and not from a standing start, so I wouldn't practice those.
    HOWEVER 1:20->1:35 is a LOT better. You land more of less with both feet, lower your stance (could be more, but still good) and scissor jump. You would gain a lot from pushing off more with your right leg forcing you into rotating faster.
    Lunges should be lower/deeper/longer. They look quite funny combined with the music at the moment.
    3:15: You should incorporate either: right foot forward split step as you end with from backhand side - then going into left foot forward pushing to forehand OR neutral split step awaiting an attacking shot - then going into left foot forward pushing back to forehand.

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for your clear and specific feedback. The first part of the video is me practicing just the split step from a variety of stances and directions. Regarding all of your other points , I can see what you are saying and how I need to improve on all those areas. But in your opinion what stands out to you as the biggest problem that I can work on here? I find that I can only work on one or two things at a time so what would you suggest ?