Wang Yilyu 王懿律/ Huang Dongping 黄东萍

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by yuquall, Nov 10, 2019.

1. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Can’t beat Zheng/Huang unfortunately. Siwei is faster and more powerful than Yilyu while Yaqiong is better at the net than Dongping. Hope they can improve further haha

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Too bad they couldn't defend their title. But at least they got to the final and they won all their matches quite convincingly except the final haha

Couldn't watch the match but I guess Zheng/Huang is back to their normal selves. Disappointing.

Though Zheng is faster and have more power in his smashes than Wang but overall I still think Wang is the better player of the two. But HDP needs to be better at the net first. Whenever she can keep up with HYQ at the net, they can control the game and force ZSW to his less favorite position.

3. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I can’t think of a reason for this myself. Care to elaborate why you think so?

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

ZSW is good and invincible if he is in a favor position. And so far his partner can consistently make sure that he will be most of the time.

I think WYL handles things better when the situations get tough. His defense and below the tape shots are good quality too. His partner is not as good and not as consistent as HYQ. When HDP in good form, they are formidable. If not, WYL has to do all the work.
    His obvious weakness is that he's quite easily gone off boil, or concentration lapses during the match. Or when he and partner are leading, they gifted away points too easily in concerning rates.

5. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Cool, I’ll try to take note of these when I watch them in the future. ZSW covers the corners better though with his speed, I thought that’s why the thai pair could use that tactic of moving WYL around with flat drives to the corners against Wang/Huang but failed miserably doing that against Zheng/Huang in the WC.

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

True, ZSW has the power and the speed. But take them all off him, he is often at lost and will lose confidence quite easily. But what's the chance of this happens? Very slim, thanks to HYQ too.

rhoder likes this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

According to some news article, apparently HDP has been having appendicitis since two days ago. Retiring today meant Wang/Huang would have to lose all their points here. BWF with their rules make the ill or injured players suffering.

Wish her speedy recovery.

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

I read somewhere she suffers gastroenteritis.

9. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

I guess they did it at the most important moment...In the Olympic Final
    Hehehe

rhoder likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Despite a 13-2 H2H dismal record against their archrival and colleagues, Wang Yilu/Huang Dongping was able to play more freely with the 'underdog advantage' to overcome Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong at just the right time and the right place for the most coveted prize in their career. Can't get any better than that for any aspirant in sporting glory.

Still, to put things in perspective, the Olympic gold shouldn't be the only goal in life for any professional athlete. One's overall achievements should give a more balanced and complete picture of one's career or life goals.

Heartiest congratulations to Wang Yilu and Huang Dongping!

11. yeo_melaka

yeo_melaka Regular Member

This pair did what Ma Jin & Xu Chen failed - beat their opponent at the most important match of their career :)
    and ZSW & HY did terribly as well on that 1 match that matter most.