Badminton Central - Improvements?

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, Mar 20, 2016.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi BCers,

Now that the new software is up and running, and hopefully help improved your experience with Badminton Central, I would like to request some idea from BCers.

As we want to improve and help inform and engage badminton fans, what type of features do you like to see in Badminton Central that will make your stay here even better?

Something that I can think of is:

- Equipment review
    - More articles
    - Tournament report
    - Chat
    - Better for sale section

Thanks,
    kwun

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think the following would be nice:

1. Latest badminton news, analyses and commentaries in English as well as from around the world translated into English (from Chinese, Indonesian, Korean, Danes, Japanese, etc). Google Translate and fans all over the world can chip in.

2. a real-time live audio-only commentary channel on youtube for major tournaments. Starting a live audio-only channel on youtube should be easy since BadmintonCentral already has a youtube account. As for commentators, I am sure there are many excellent coaches, former players and umpires here at BadmintonCentral who would be willing. The commentator can run the new chat room too. As for chatroom add-on, here's some suggestions:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/live-chat-addon-which-is-the-best.64040/

Thank you again boss for your hard work.

#2 pcll99, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    kwun likes this.
  3. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    I would love more equipment reviews. They're the reason I went and bought a pair of Customedge racquets. :)

Would it be possible to make the "like" feature more robust like facebook's? Facebook allows you to also add emotions to the like: laugh, awe, sad, etc..

4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    not a bad idea, but i can see a lot of potential problems:
    1. it's a major time commitment. how many people are willing to commit so much time for free?
    2. finding a qualified analyst in the tournaments local language is harder than you think. you need a professional, not an enthusiastic fan.
    3. you cannot commentate a match while moderating a chat room because the game is too fast.
    the solution is finding and building a dedicated professional team for free.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    1. for major tournaments, i am thinking about just three or four per year, eg All England, Thomas/Uber/Sudirman Cup, WC/OLY and SS Finals. Three or four weekends per year wouldnt be a major commitment for most people. I don't think it is very hard to find a few good coaches who are willing to do it for free.

2. i was thinking about any English-speaking coaches anywhere in the world would be ok. They need not be inside the stadium or even in the same city as the tournament.

3. yeah, but the commentator does need to read and comment on the tournament threads here at BadmintonCentral (or the chatroom), which is the whole point of my idea.

6. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Since I joined another forum (C30crew.com), I see a thread there every day in its simplest way that which makes it brilliant!

”Questions that aren't worth creating a thread for”

The thread clearly keeps active because it is what it is and it seems like the members is more active to help and answer in this thread than if it would be by it’s own.

I tend to see a tendency for many threads to remain unanswered as well as a certain gap between beginners who, for example, ask which racket gives the hardest smash and the slightly more experienced ones who have seen the same question hundreds of times and just ignore to answer.

I don’t see this as a problem, but I think there is room for improvements, and ”New Posts” to save for a simpler view of new activities that have been made from the last visit on the forum.

Maybe a open question thread can work as a tool for that.

Mr Arc2 likes this.
  7. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Uploading file max size is 1 mb. If max size limit gets 4 mb, it will be great. Otherwise many of the quality photos/screenshots doesn't get uploaded.

Cheung likes this.
  8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Why would you need a picture to be 4MB size.. If it was a photography forum where you are admiring the most equisite fine detail.. It's not like a 500KB picture is totally pixelated.. you can't see the individual pixels.. A 500KB(or even less), picture is really clear.. Infact probably pictures of <100KB are often also really clear. (infact 500KB is ridiculous overkill)

I've never even heard of the problem of pictures not being high quality enough.

Perhaps what you are suggesting is that it should let you upload image files over 4MB.. That is absolutely insane.. And totally unnecessary.

You can screenshot your image and paste it on imgur, I guarantee it won't be huge. And you will be able to upload it.

In the future your phone might make every picture 20MB. It'd be good if forum software could convert that automatically.. Or if you pit an app on your phone to convert it.

But it's really wasteful for a forum to have huge hard drives resources for people posting pictures that are WAY bigger than they need to be.

When a picture can be 100KB and yours is 4MB, it is literally 40 times bigger than it needs to be. That's a problem with what you are uploading. (And it wouldn't surprise me if 100KB was way more than is necessary.. but 4MB is just through the roof mad). Just because 4MB is a mobile phone default, doesn't make it right. And you can convert it with an app or very easily very fast and efficiently, with snippy and imgur.. (and perhaps at source even more efficiently if you find a good app)

I just tried making a screenshot of an image, and saving it in mspaint as png, - try it - that was/ may be 300KB which is overkill(and still over 10* less than what is supported!!).. Try saving it as jpg, now 40KB. And you want 4MB? That's literally not just 40 times bigger than it needs to be, That's 400 times bigger! !!!

#8 ralphz, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Cheung likes this.
  9. Baddie lover

I meant quality as in badminton related - good photo. Not pixel related. Screenshots' size is sometimes more than 1 mb in my mobile. That's why i wrote that post
    Thanks.

Your reply is like having too much anger in tone. Don't know why

Anyways, it's about making forum better. I gave my suggestion. If it's not viable, then fine.

Saru likes this.
  10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You are not a mind reader. There is no anger in tone.. Justt some absolute horror at the concept of anybody (wittingly or unwittingly), wanting to post images that are 40-400 times larger than necessary.on a free forum with (naturally and very reasonably) limited but more than generous enough resources.

11. Baddie lover

I am not that tech savvy. I'll try what you suggested me.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi,

I think 1MB is quite enough. The forum is screen space limited, you cannot reasonably post something more than a couple thousand pixel wide here without it overblown in size compare to the layout and contents. And something that size can easily fit into 1MB.

And as mentioned, space is limited and we are renting a server. We have 20 yrs of contents and if we start blowing up storage it will cost much more. We are underwater in terms of bottom line to begin with so let's not make it worse. :)

CLELY, Saru, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  13. 124windsor

124windsor Regular Member

badminton coach
    I would like an option to start a new topic, or forum without inviting someone, it is rather impossible to post an article without knowing someone, , since you have to invite otherwise you cannot post.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    You don't need to invite anyone in order to start a topic/thread.

15. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Who is posting articles, what do you mean? where did you even hear of somebody posting articles?

Inviting somebody? i've never even seen an invite button.. what do you mean? It's best to use the terms that the system you are using uses, and you can do that even if English is not your first language.

What do you mean "without knowing someone". How is a computer going to know if you know somebody? It sounds like maybe you are having some issue with facebook or some kind of social media platform, and you posted in the wrong place, but even then.

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

If you are under the water, it may be worth converting pngs to jpgs..

for example this .jpg file is 154KB(0.154MB) https://i.imgur.com/oYetAOF.jpg, but as a .png it was 785KB(0.785MB) https://i.imgur.com/kGyvTzk.png

so a conversion of png to jpg could use 5 times less space for the image..

that might be an easy conversion to do..

another conversion could be if any file has a ridiculous resolution then to see the height-width ratio,, maintain that, but scale down the resolution. There was a thread a while back, where somebody posted an image that showed in such large dimensions it was hard to see his image and the text on the screen at the same time in his post from my laptop.

this image is pretty good in dimensions, https://i.imgur.com/Psoicrn.jpg and decent enough quality and is only 107KB (100KB)

17. 124windsor

badminton coach
    Dude you are calling your writing posts,, if you can"t digest that I calling them articles, that is too bad, yeh and I aslo hda pobrelm wiht eglnihs

18. 124windsor

badminton coach
    When I wrote my article, and tried to post it, it was thrown back, that I had to invite someone. So I put someone's name in there
    than it sailed through. Where was I supposed to start a new thread?

19. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

This is another reason why it's important to use the correct terminology.. it sounds like maybe you wrote a "Message". For a message, you have to have a recipient.

But if you want to make a post(not just a term I made up), you click "post new thread"

And "post" is such a standard term for the context of a forum,, so if you do ctrl-f(find), and type 'post' or 'new' then it will even highlight the text on that button, making that button really easy to find. 'new' is a good thing to look for too, as forums often offer a button to do a 'new post'. (or new thread..).

[​IMG]

see

[​IMG]

20. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Hi kwun (or forum owner),

Any possibility to add these expressions I found at another xenforo forum?
    Screenshot_20200129_120252.jpg
    Screenshot_20200129_120539.jpg

Screenshot_20200129_120709.jpg

kwun likes this.