Help.....what to wear

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Anna Donald, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

Our local community centre has started Badminton twice a week, so went along to play. The court is on a surface similar to rubber flooring I would say and light blue in colour. Anyway trainers with a black sole are not allowed due to marks being made on the surface, which I only found out once I started to play, so had to take off my trainers and socks and go in my barefeet which was a bit of a silly rule and having to wait in between games in my barefeet as well was not nice. Any trainers I have are blacked soled so I don't really want or see why I should get some more, but is going barefeet okay on this surface. If it was wooden floor then no way would I do it.

2. augustas

augustas New Member

Any badminton dedicated shoes have non marking outsoles i believe. So it woud be 100% wise to buy badminton shoes, since you're starting this fun sport:)
    Good luck!

3. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

So is it right I had to go in my barefeet though. Just seemed a bit strict for a local community centre. I am just playing for fun so a bit extreme to have to splash out straight away due to the rules.

#3 Anna Donald, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is not an uncommon rule across the world. Markings from black soled shoes are very difficult to clean off completely and over time, spoil the appearance of the court.

It’s expensive to replace the surface of the court and typically only done after many many years of use. Thus people are usually sensitive about shoes that potentially mark the floor.

5. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

Looks like it will be barefoot for me when I play then. Never heard of such a rule. Badminton this evening so I shall try my other trainers although they are more or less black soled as well.
    Shorts is fine but barefoot for two hours while watching and playing is a bit much

6. Maria222

Maria222 New Member

You play on rubber flooring and they don't allow black soled trainers? Never heard of that one
    I have played barefoot before but that was my choice. Nobody should feel forced if it is a friendly get together as you say. Do they have any signage up so people know in advance?.
    Barefeet is possibly okay on rubber surface compared to wooden floor but this is not really the point. Also I agree that standing or sitting about in between games in barefeet may not be fun if hall is cold. Let me know how you get on tonight but try other trainers or surely socks are okay on rubber surface

7. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

They had apparently told people the first week the badminton was on, which I missed, so have been told I would need to get other trainers or go barefoot which I think is totally wrong. They wont allow socks so I was barefooted from the moment I left the changing room this evening. I enjoyed playing as will not let this spoil it for me or others, but what a ridiculous rule.
    I am barefoot if I go to the toilets, canteen for a drink etc as only the right footwear is allowed.

#7 Anna Donald, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  8. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

sorry but as Cheung said this is quite a common rule for this type of court

maybe try find other court that’s not as strict? maybe one with wood flooring?

or just buy cheap badminton shoes....

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Very dangerous. Worse than barefoot.

Out of curiosity, why is it ridiculous to have preventative measures to restrict damage to the floor?

#9 Cheung, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  10. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

Surely black soled trainers will not ruin or damage any flooring, I have never heard of or seen anything like that before.

11. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

This is sounding like a ridiculously implemented version of the rule now. The purpose seems to have been lost and is blindly thrust on you without good reasoning. Yes, the court floor is the priority and should be protected and whilst it is quite normal to restrict the type of footwear on a rubber floor, surely you can wear anything you want to a canteen or toilet???

Also, some black soled shoes are actually non-marking. Some are terrible and leave marks all over the place if you drag your shoes on the floor. The purpose of the rule is just to prevent marks being left but not all soles are the same despite the colouring. There may well be the words "non-marking" imprinted on the soles of your shoes which will mean they are actually perfectly usable. Right now, I could spend over £100 on a pair of badminton shoes that do have black soles and I know people who do wear them. And they 100% do not leave any marks.

The other big problem especially in the big multipurpose sports halls where there is a mixture of sports played; football, netball, fitness classes etc. Trying to prevent people dragging in dirt is hard, almost impossible unless somebody is strict about enforcing the rules.

There should be 2 rules with a clear understanding of why they are to be followed.
    1. Only wear shoes with non-marking soles on the court
    2. Do not wear shoes from outdoors on the court
    Basically, wear anything you want to arrive then change into badminton-suitable shoes. This is highly recommended especially at this time of year with all the rain we are getting. A wet and dirty rubber floor or shoe is dangerously slippery.

I would not want to be barefoot on a court with somebody who also wore their "rule obeying trainers" for walking a dog and trudging around shops. Yuk!

Simply, make sure you have comfortable shoes with non-marking soles and refuse to go into the toilet without shoes on. They would not like the liability for any accident or illness it could cause. Yuk yuk yuk and another YUK!

12. augustas

augustas New Member

Yes, they will damage. Those black marks are nightmare of cleaners. And sometimes they come off just with aggressive solvents, which surely can damage the surface. So to save peoples labour and infrastructures those restictions are made and are norm.

13. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Agreed. My new washing machine has rubber feet that leaves marks on vinyl flooring when it is dragged. Rubbing with a chunky pencil eraser removed the marks. But, it is no excuse for such a stupid design feature.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have seen it quite bad on some courts which is why rules on non marking shoes exist for some halls.

I guess you found it a bit incredulous, asked the question here and subsequently a bit surprised to find confirmation it happens in other parts of the world.

However, I don’t see why it should prevent you from putting on normal footwear to go to the toilet or other areas away from the court area. That does seem rather strange. Could you clarify that bit?

BTW most of us regular players do change into different shoes specifically for badminton indoors. Regular sports shoes may have the sole worn down or carry bits of dirt that could make it a bit dangerous to play. The risk is falling whilst looking upwards at a shuttle and twisting the ankle fairly badly

#14 Cheung, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  15. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

With regard to going to the toilet barefoot, I would either have to go back to the changing room and put my original footwear and then go back and change into my barefeet again, the same if I go to the canteen, although this is a clean wooden floor so is not much of a problem. I do now take on board that certain centres have rules, just that I have never came across anything like this before. I go to the toilet when I arrive so hopefully do not need to go again. Everyone changes into other footwear now due to the weather so the hall is always clean or I would totally not go barefooted.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Can’t you change put on some flip flops by the side of the court?

Definitely the easiest solution would be to spend a little more on indoor court shoes. You will enjoy the game much more :)

17. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

Possibly, we are told to change footwear in changing rooms which is fine, but then when I had to go barefoot on my first week as my trainers had a black sole ( nothing I could have done about it) then I am left barefoot for the rest of the evening including when sitting out watching. They will not allow socks as I could have at least kept my feet warm when not playing. I suppose I find the rules a bit too rigid.

18. Maria222

Maria222 New Member

I suppose you have the choice of either barefoot or getting non marking trainers. If the court and hall are clean like you said then I suppose barefeet is okay if you don't mind doing it that way. Not allowing socks in the hall when you are not playing is unfair as you can sit for a while if there are alot of people attending/playing.

19. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

Yes thanks flip flops is good idea ( if I find where I put them after summer) as we have to walk downstairs from the changing room and could slip them on if going to toilet/ canteen. Shame they can't keep my feet warm in between playing:)

20. Anna Donald

Anna Donald New Member

Barefoot for a whike as bad time of month for me to be buy anything new and not had time to shop anyway. Just glad it is soft surface and not a wooden floor.:p:p