Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

From Bulgarian International 2017 I think. I'm the guy in grey shirt and head band. We are a small group of friends who travel every year to get knocked out in the first round and spend the rest of our visit as a vacation. It's quite nice :)

emobeasta, Cheung, Ukelelele and 2 others like this.
  2. Joyson Menezes

Joyson Menezes New Member

Hello Badminton lovers,

I would appreciate if you can provide feedback on how to improve my game:

Singles game (I am in blue jersey):

Doubles game (I am in black jersey)

Thank you,
    Joyson

#2822 Joyson Menezes, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just a few very short points, please excuse my short and direct language, it's not meant negatively:

- Fix your service. It's illegal most of the time and not in a way that would give you an advantage. Your racket is pointing upwards, you'll need to raise your racket hand higher, especially in doubles this service motion appears to give you a lot of trouble in regards to consistency and quality.

- In order to move faster around the court, work on your split-step. It doesn't always need to be big (essentially, you make it bigger when you're in trouble and anticipate a rally-ending attack, e.g. when you lifted short), but it always needs to be there. In faster play, especially doubles, that can mean that your feet don't actually leave the ground at all, but you just lower your body weight in the moment you anticipate your opponent contacting the shuttle. The essential part of the "split-step" is not actually your feet moving, it's that downwards movement of your center of mass.

- In singles, you have a tendency to stand in your base position with your right foot in front of your left, regardless of rally situation. That makes your short BH and deep FH corner more vulnerable. Try to practice with your feet neutral/parallel.
    Adapting your foot placement in your base position will make it easier to reach some parts of the court and harder to get to others. It'll always be easier to travel along the line that goes through both your feet and harder to move perpendicularly to it. Adapting your stance accordingly is slightly advanced footwork that you should practice after you have the split-step down to an instinctual level and got rid of that habit of placing the right foot forward.

- You should avoid smashing with power when you hit the shuttle moving backwards (unless it's 95% sure to immediately end the rally, e.g. because your opponent is really out of position). Try instead to go for a half-smash or 'smop' (somewhere in-between a smash and a drop) - that'll give you more time to get back to your base position, and also make it harder for your opponent to just guide the shuttle into a good postition by feeding off your pace. It makes it much more likely that the return is going to be short and probably longline (as that is the easiest shot, and playing an accurate crosscourt shot with no pace to feed off requires more control and better technique). Additionally, your opponent's contact point is likely to be lower, which has the dual benefit of a) limiting their options and making it easier to see if they want to lift and b) giving you even more time to move back forward as they'll have to play a shot with a more upwards trajectory.

- A few general observations of your technique:
    You seem to hold the racket rotated a bit too far towards a panhandle grip. That limits your shot selection in the deep FH corner. A more neutral grip would be advisable imop, but it should be prioritized below your footwork and serve.
    Your follow through goes towards your right hip, not your left (especially on smashes). It's healthier and more efficient to go towards your left hip. You also don't rotate your upper body a lot. Try to think of a smash or a clear as a rotational movement and of your arm as a sling shot. Maybe do a bit of dry swinging and remember how a different movement feels in your body.
    You have a tendency to not move fully behind the shuttle at the back of the court, even when you have time. That has the side effect of you not having all shot options as well as making your smash less powerful. It will also mean you're going to be slower onto the next shot than if you were to move back further and reverse direction _before_ hitting the shuttle, moving forwards already as you make contact.

4. HardWorkPaysOff

HardWorkPaysOff New Member

I hoped for a new video from j4ckie when I was reading his name in this thread.

What a pity, always enjoyed it ;):D

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha, sorry, not a lot of badminton going on the past 2 months (exactly none, to be precise)...maybe I'll film a bit when we get back to training, but I might be too shocked by the unbelievable drop in form after this long break :D

phihag likes this.
  6. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Im the guy in white shirt

Been a while since i upload my vid, since then after many tips from good guy at BC, ive corrected a few forms and techniques here and there but still far from decent i guess

So heres my latest vid, im grateful if you care to watch and tell me where i did wrong, thanks

#2826 deepinthemusic, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  7. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Edit, double post

8. Simon Knudsen

Simon Knudsen New Member

Hi.
    I'm amongst top 50 at my age in Denmark. Here I'm playing at an international turnement with my mate against two players from Poland about half a year ago.
    I'm the short guy wearing black clothes on the opposite side of the camera.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BZzz3oedA94Horen9

Cheung and ucantseeme like this.
  9. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hi guys,
    Here is some casual play after the break :D. Was a little bit lazy and didn't want to injure myself since I haven't done any exercises during the break :oops:
    I am the one in white shirt

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Your game reminds me of Du Pengyu.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  11. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

Stroke technique and footwork are fine here, a few little mistakes which happens to everyone.

Something interesting about the way you receive, your front foot looks like it's almost parallel to the net and knees could be bent a little more. I would adjust front foot to face the shuttle/opponent and bending knees more to take the shuttle earlier, your knee bend looks fine when you are playing.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice!

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Playing a badminton competition on holiday is a great way to visit a country. :)

Dangho likes this.
  14. akatsuki2104

Thanks for the comment !
    I actually copied Fu Haifeng some years ago and it has become a habit. I feel quite confortable this way and I don't think it slows me down :)

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You actually turn out your foot before you start moving, every time I saw you receive a short serve you did that. I does slow you down a bit, not that it matters in this particular match where you're far superior...

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  16. akatsuki2104

I didn't catch that. I'll try to pay attention to that when we will finaly be able to play again :(

17. emobeasta

emobeasta Regular Member

IT | eSports
    Here is a short rally from last Friday's tournament - Bulgarian Badminton Circuit Round 1 in Galabovo, Bulgaria. The level is 4 (the weakest). I am the big guy close to the camera. I am aware that I have a lot to work on but would like some tips on what to focus with priority. As soon as I have a longer video, I'm going to upload it, too :)

baddiechan likes this.
  18. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

Nice point!

Truly a short clip so not too much I can say:
    • Get into the habit of bending your knees more and getting your centre of gravity lower.
    • Your non-racquet hand is moving a lot early on, it's good to do this for the overhead strokes. However if you are blocking, netting or just moving around try to keep the left hand stable.
    • Last is footwork, ensure that you have the proper technique down. We didn't see the movement but it never hurts to work on it :)

emobeasta likes this.
  19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Can't wait for the longer video.

20. emobeasta

emobeasta Regular Member

IT | eSports
    Thank you for the great advice! I feel really grateful to those who've spent their time not only watching but analysing, too. Here's a longer video of a friendly match with my doubles partner, recorded this month. I'm the guerrilla in black t-shirt.

Apart from me being slow and bald, I also noticed my high serve was actually pretty low. Will surely work on improving that. As always, any tips and feedback from you guys will be much appreciated. My main focus now is on lowering the stance, adding the split-step without thinking about it and of course losing weight. Badminton is very complex and sometimes I feel lost knowing how many aspects of my game I need to improve but not being aware of what to prioritize.