Should standard grip size options be G4 & G5 and not G5 & G6?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Apr 22, 2020.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I'm just trying to see if you think the major brands should start adopting thinner grip options for rackets.

For one, most people I know, male and female go for G5 if available over G4. In fact, many people who have big hands choose G5 and a very thin overgrip setup without the original grip. I myself have slightly larger hands, and I choose G5 and remove the factory grip to keep grip thickness to a minimum for doubles play. Seeing as that's the case, I wonder if G5 really is a suitable option for people with smaller hands, and not G6 or even G7. Some girls I know buy the Bravesword 12L in 2020, just because it's one of the most accessible ways to get a G6 racket.

Secondly, it's easier to go from G6 to a G4 than it is to go from G4 to G6. Most people don't consider sanding down the wood as an option. But everyone can thicken a grip with more grip tape.

Even male pros have been known to ask their sponsors of thinner G6 rackets, which means I'm assuming it's quite common in the women's circuit as well. If the companies are aware of such demands, then maybe we should seriously start questioning why these aren't widely available for the public as well.

Patrick Park Li and Cheung like this.
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Maybe the trend would go there.
    As my assumtion is before racket is kinda heavy U/2U & having smaller grip mean smaller wood which i think having those heavy weight & force, there is high risk the handle would be breaking up.
    Then again many manufacturer try to experiment with carbon formula, frame model, & many thing but forgot the handle totally.
    So i think it just a matter of time someone start doing it, getting alot of hype & the others start tailing on it.

3. Prince Light

Prince Light New Member

Most Yonex rackets here in Denmark have G4 size, which I think is too big for the average player, in Europe at least. G5 size would be a better default size and it would be even better if all G4/G5/G6 sizes was available. As you say, it is a lot easier to increase the grip size than to reduce it.

Patrick Park Li and Dave1011 like this.
  4. ChocoChipWaffle

It's hard to provide concrete proofs, but I think that's a strong indication that a change of trend may be in need. Denmark has one of the tallest average heights for males, which directly correlates to larger hand sizes. Personally I'm from Canada where the average height is on the high side too, and I don't really see anyone looking for G4 ever. Asian markets basically don't even sell G4's, the demand is essentially 0. That means the big brands are basically providing only 1 real grip size option for their biggest markets, which is G5.

Patrick Park Li likes this.
  5. Prince Light

Prince Light New Member

Agreed.

About the correlation between height and hand size, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. I guess there also must be a high variance which suggest that a range of grip sizes would be good.

6. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    This is not entirely the case. If you wrap multiple layers to get from G6 to G4 the handle will get more round. I know people who use so many layers that you can't feel the edges of the handle anymore.
    Personally I experimented with many different gripsizes. I started with a much too thick grip as well but worked down to G6 with thick grip or G5 with only a thin overgrip. Since G6 is rare I even started to sand the wood on some rackets.
    In conclusion I agree that having the choice between G5 and G6 would be preferable.

I've been thinking that the overall handsize is not necessarily a good indication. maybe some kind of palm to finger ratio would be useful or just length of fingers?

7. ChocoChipWaffle

Also, is it just me or did anybody else enjoy the Victor grips during the early bravesword days? Their backhand bezel, the thickest bezel, used to be a lot narrower than regular G5, which made the grip feel a lot more square in the hand. I actually found that to be my favorite grip, i could go from backhand to forehand super quick, or sometimes not even have to change grips. I could just use the multi-purpose grip to take care of drive shots to both back and forehand, as long as the shot was in front of me relatively. If i were to do that with regular G5's, I'd still have to make minor adjustments. I haven't played with G6 before but I'm guessing it will feel something like those old Victor ones. I'm also guessing this is why many doubles players prefer G6.

Dave1011 and Patrick Park Li like this.