Need an upgrade from my current lining ss88 1st gen

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by lukalakulu, May 20, 2020.

1. lukalakulu

lukalakulu New Member

Hi guys, new member here, need your recommendation for any brand of racket.
    Right now iam using lining ss88 1st gen, it was cheap and suit to my game play, i play double all the time, i use to be smasher (70%) and somtimes as front player (30%), with ss88, i'll say its have decent power but not powerfull enought, on the defense side, its fair but not fast enought. By the time, my power and technic increas and need an upgrade from ss88. From what i described above, i need better power and faster swing than my ss88, and if any, its better with the same weight(4u/85+-2gr). Can you guys suggest me some?
    Price range 50-100usd.
    Sorry for my bad english, hope you guys got what i've said.
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

You ask for something imposible.
    Better power & also faster swing.
    Its like 2 side of coin where you cant see both side fully at the same time.

Maybe instead, you might want to get a training racket. Not for playing but for training.

3. lukalakulu

lukalakulu New Member

So there is no racket that BETTER THAN ss88 interm of power and speed?
    Its means ss88 is THE BEST racket in power and swing speed, ok i'll keep on my ss88.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

No racket that is better than others. Each is unique on its own.
    Less weight/BP will be faster but for speed you gain there is momentum force/swing weight you lose which mean less power & so does the opposite.

But power is related each other between speed & weight. If you can swing way faster to compensate the weight loss, you still can hit hard equally. Or if you are slow swing but strong enough to swing heavier racket, that also give you the same power.

Other thing, frame profile.
    Aero/sword frame cut through air so it swing faster than boxy frame. But box frame transfer energy better than aero frame thus box frame feel much powerfull than aero frame.

& for my suggestion on Training racket. It heavy for sure & much more heavier than standard racket. Mostly its 2U/U weight. Train with it, you definitely struggle with it forcing you to makes faster/earlier preparation & strain your muscle alot. But when you used to it & goes back to your old racket, you will find yourself hit faster & stronger.

5. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

Hmmmm i could've swore my ss88 gen 1 weigh 87 gram....it was definitely a 3U racket not 4U

Also your budget kinda too wide....100usd is like 1.5million rupiah right now....there are a lot of rackets in that price range

If you can handle it (if you're strong enough) try looking for n99 chenlong at sports center......last i check it's on sale there for exactly 1.5million

Or if you want something more comfortable in the wallet go for astrox 69d

Or if you can get the heavy specimen just get ss88g7 the white color one....it truly is an upgrade over the 1st gen

Truthfully ss88gen1 is quite OK in all aspect are you sure you need new racket n not new training/coach like budi said above?

6. lukalakulu

lukalakulu New Member

I dont know why you talk arroud from a-z about racket, what i ask is simple, iam looking for racket that is better power and faster speed compare to my current ss88, and maybe a short of explaination why you suggest one.
    You talk from a-z but doesnt mention any single name of racket thàt iam asking for. I dont know if you are trying to show off or something.
    And i believe with my common sense, there is alot of racket that better than ss88, since it is cheap and old racket. Some racket is already in my list, i just to make sure that i'll make a best deal by what you guys suggested.
    About training racket, its a must have for a badminton enthusiast, so dont worry, i have one.

7. lukalakulu

lukalakulu New Member

Hi, thanks for segesting me some. As68d is already on my list. As you mentioned, you have the ss88, what do you think about this racket compare to as68D?
    FYI, i dont need a coach, i just a recreational player, i leart a lot from youtube to upgrade my skill and gameplay..Lol.

#7 lukalakulu, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

what you ask is plain simple but to answer that is not as simple as it is & you seems didnt understand that.

If you ask for list of racket, here it is:
    Yonex: AX 68D, AX68S, AX69, VT8DG, VT11DG, VT21DG.
    Lining : 3DC008, TC009, N9ii, N7ii, N99.
    Victor : TK9000, TK HMR, TK Oni.

Which of any of those will makes you hit more powerfull & also faster? No one will know it.
    You might ask us how we feel from it, but whatever we feel it wont matter to you as you are not me & what i feel wont be the same as you. For me 3U head heavy is easy & my 99gr 304BP TK770 is easy to use for double. But not all are capable to wield those hammer yet even if they are weaker physically, doesnt mean they are weaker than me on playing skill aspect.

TK9000 & TK Oni is an old high end racket. Now they had good deal on Sports Center for 1.5M IDR.
    TK9000 new color come in 4U but its stiff, so is it much more powerfull & faster? Yes only if you are capable to wield it or else you will just struggle yourself even tho its good racket itself.
    TK Oni other hand less head headheavy than TK9000 but it has compact small frame. Again its good racket only if you are capable to fully use its potential.

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Lining ss88 1st gen is a flexible, slight head heavy balance racket which was quite popular when it was first launched. It was designed to give added weight in your swings for that extra punch when attacking and it's flexible shaft is design to those who swings slow.

If you want to upgrade to a racket which can give you more power in your attack and faster swinging maneuverability then there are few important facts that you must understand first

- NO racket can give you power in any of your smash. That power comes from you based on how correct your smashing technique is.
    - despite head heavy racket is design for an attacking type of playing style, it's still just a tool. Since you're going to do all the hardwork smashing, therefore and again, that power will only come from you and not the racket. The racket heavy head spec is just to add extra weight into your downward forces while smashing. That's why after understanding this 2 facts then there is no such thing as a "powerful racket'.
    - both of the racket head balance and weight spec will affect the your swinging maneuverability. A 3U head heavy racket will definitely be less maneuverable comparing to lower head weight 4U racket. This is because the latter is more lighter and feels easy in your hand when swiinging. Therefore if you decided to use a heavier racket head then make sure to improve your racket arm strength at the same time.

OK then, back to you. Since you've used already ss88 and if you want to upgrade to a new racket spec (assuming that you've improved much in your smashing technique and physicality (faster swing speed and stronger swing strength), then you need to search a racket with the below specifications

- either the same head weight or heavier.
    - If your swing speed has improved then go for a racket with a stiffer shaft as well.
    - Grip size and racket weight 4U should remain the same spec.

In summary, if you have fully understood about yourself as a player and confident that you've also has all the necessary criteria to warrant a racket upgrade then a 4U, stiff, head heavy racket is the type of racket that you should SEARCH and preferably TRY. Why you should try is because anyone can recommend you a list of good racket with that type of spec here or in any racket shops but then a good racket in other players hand doesn't necessarily will be a good racket in your hand because we all have our own uniqueness in both playing style and physicality attributes.

IF you've tried with this type of racket spec and your hits quality deteriorate and worse starts to feel pain around your arm then it's not a suitable racket for you. Reacces your techniques, improve your physicality and try a racket with a lower racket head weight / stiffness spec before making a decision again. String tension value also plays and important role and therefore never abruptly increase your string tension value unless you're confident that you have the strength in your swings and arm to use it. I'm here just to give my share of knowledge on how you should search the ideal racket for you. I'm not here to list down what racket brands that you should buy. Good luck searching

SS

badmintonpog1 and Father Parrot like this.