Using alcohol or disinfectant on string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TSchops, Jun 16, 2020.

1. TSchops

TSchops Regular Member

Hi,

I was hoping someone could enlighten me whether there is an effect on using disinfectants and alcohol on badminton string.

Is it safe to wipe down the stringbed and the racket? I need to disinfect very well anything I bring back home.

Thanks

myinvictus likes this.
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For the racket i think its ok. At most maybe it wipe the paint, tho i doubt as it not something strong chemical.

For grip, well maybe you want to dry it afterward as its kinda absorb liquid.

Idk for string. Does it kill string elasticity or shave off the coating & makes it prone to snap.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Why not using only own shuttles you touch? Same for you partners/opponents? If you only play with your racket, you can minimize something on your own.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

With today situation, it would be wise if we
    1. Dont lend our own racket & borrow others racket. Bring your own kit if you want to play.
    2. Forget high five or shake hand. Just say good/thank you/sorry.
    3. Dont sit close each other when not playing.
    4. Get clean up right away after your games. Dont be lazy & get a short sleep or get some to eat 1st, but going to a bathroom is 1st priority.
    5. Wash all used clothing.

5. what07

what07 Regular Member

I was in your same boat, I ended up moving up and lived happily ;)

As others have said: Grip if your wiping it with something wet try to dry it quickly but the important thing to disinfect something is to make sure it has enough contact time (stays wet) so make sure the handle is protected not just the grip on bare wood.

Racket should be ok: most of the finished is strong enough to withstand

Strings: I wouldn't wipe, maybe you can do the leave it out in the sun for an hour to kill everything XD

Don't use AHP wipes or sprays tho, they leave a sticky residue especially the ones above 0.5%

6. TSchops

TSchops Regular Member

Thank you for the replies everyone

I asked because I occasionally play with a trainer here. Trainers here cannot really afford to bring their own shuttles and we use what I bring.

We are able to follow the steps you all mentioned above except for ways to disinfect string.

Thank you again

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I don't recommend it. It will age the strings if done regular. Colour will fade and string becomes brittle. UV Light will harm strings.

@TSchops Multifeeding is here not recommended. What about gloves for the feeder and a mask? Normally anybody who wants to continue a business should do everything to protect clients. As long as you pay a trainer it shouldn't be only your task and effort to create a secure enviroment. It's 50/50.

8. TSchops

TSchops Regular Member

Thank you

will recommend the gloves and mask for trainers and probably won’t do multishuttle drills. The facility temperature checks everyone coming in, and all are required to disinfect shoes before coming in. The trainers are freelancers and independent from the facility.

I also just ordered a racket from HK yesterday and will probably have to disinfect it when it gets here.

Thanks again

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

having a glove on non racket hand might be good idea. But wearing mask when playing is bad i think.
    Read somewhere that someone collapse when he play badminton wearing a mask.
    We need awhole lot of oxigen when playing & wearing a mask especially if its thick enough will lessen the oxigen to inhale.

10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I only recommend a mask and gloves on both hand when a coach multifeed shuttles from other people. Coach will barely move or getting tired easily, just the student. OP don't asked for game situation. In game situation I would suggest just touching own shuttles and passing other shuttles with scoop and hit over and stick to one fixed opponent/one fixed pair to minimize spreading.

11. myinvictus

myinvictus New Member

Gday. I think as long the disinfectants and alcohol are non corrosive, it will be alright for the string.
    <bestbadmintonstring.com>

12. myinvictus

myinvictus New Member

As long as its non corrosive, I think it will be okay for the string.
    <bestbadmintonstring.com>

13. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

This!

Pretty much all strings have nylon in them... with different additives, that can be solved in water, alcohol, or both... maybe not all of them, but some.

So I'm pretty sure that using disinfectant, which is almost always based on alcohol and water (pure alcohol does not disinfect) will change your strings.

If this wasn't enough reason, we could talk about the coating of strings....

ucantseeme likes this.