90% Full thickness rotator cuff tear AND labrum tear

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by dimcorner, Jul 3, 2020.

1. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Rewind to December 2019 and I noticed feeling a really REALLY tight right shoulder when I woke up in mornings. Sometimes it would wake me up at night from the tightness and pain. There has been lingering pain since about August but it would just go away during the week no problem. At the time I was playing badminton, tennis and pickleball. I would play about 3 times a week for 3+ hours. I did have a prior shoulder injury during a badminton tournament where I had to pull out because I couldn't lift my arm to do anything overhead. That was 15 years ago and just re-habbed it.

This time I went to doctor and had MRI with contrast. They found 90% full thickness tear of the supraspinatus, a small partial tear on the subscapularis, and a labrum tear.

They repaired the full thickness tear and the labrum. The doc said I had good tendons and bones for the anchors and sutures. I had surgery done 7 weeks ago and I'm going thru rehab now. Doc thinks that I can go back to full speed 9+ months out.

Anyone have come back from this type of surgery to play at full speed again? I think what did it is trying to swing a tennis racket the same way I swing a badminton racket during serve. I really need to take off some speed off that.

I can keep you guys posted of milestones of rehab if there is interest.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Yikes. Get better soon!

3. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

Get well soon man!

I fear I have some tear in my shoulder too...even when I quit badminton for some days it still keeps on paining in my shoulders. I'm gonna have to get it checked. Keep us posted about rehab milestones please :)

4. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

So I just finished my last rehab last week. Shoulder feels like I have full motion range back but it feels weak still. I would say I have a few more months for 100%.

I feel it most. Ow in my elbow and overhead shots. I can only go pain free at about 40%. I need to build up strength and maybe another 5% more in flexibility. My arm feels perfect for normal day stuff but fast overhead I still feel a little tight and sore after a session. Mind you I do have a extra flexible shoulder so my normal is a bit more than average. I still stretch it every morning out of habit and it is a little tighter than the left but once warmed up it’s fine. No pain at all during sleep.

I will tell you for me rehab was not bad at all. Slept in recliner for about 3 weeks. Was off Percocet after 2 days (pain wasn’t that bad actually). I went 2x per week for almost 4 months. Rehab + home stretching got me to discharge almost 2 months ahead of expectation. Again everyone is different but I think it was worth it. I feel my shoulder is more stable than it has in the last 15 years!

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That is scary stuff. Glad to hear that you are improving. You certainly have a positive attitude.
    Once you are feeling better don’t forget to keep up with whatever “maintenance” your rehab team suggests.
    Good luck.:)