Progression of a female player trying to make it, maybe try dying so but she attempted

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DanNguyen, May 23, 2018.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @Mason

This routine should be useful for you as well.

This is a great sentence and should be enshrined as a memorable quote. A shot is not finished when you have hit the shuttle.

thyrif, DanNguyen and Mason like this.
  2. DanNguyen

DanNguyen Regular Member

Hello,
    So it has been four month and oh my 2020 has been a big dump. Vietnam manages to only have house lockdown for nearly a month. I hope everyone is staying safe and relatively sane without badminton and all. Anyway, here is a new video of me playing against my coach (him playing a full single court and me half double court).

Just to clear up in case of any confusion, this is not my major training exercise since I play mainly doubles (xd,wd). But my coach did mention that I need to have better variety of footwork and shots (since doubles are mainly just and explode step followed by a smash or a dropshot), playing singles like this will improve my overall strength (esp core strength since i need to be in better balance), better footwork and better variety of shots i can choose.
    From this video my coach and I think that I take too long to return to centre. Mainly because i load up my thighs and move with quads (i was hopping up and down). Practice load the quads (bent knees) and shuffle along (use hips abductor/adductor, the glutea, calfs).
    What are your thoughts?
    Thank you for helping me. Again!

3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

This. I would suguest to every young player to play a lot more singles games to improve in footwork, stamina, shot variance, shot accuracy, net shots etc.

You seem to get pressed to the backline very often, you are even unable to recover to the base position. I think, that this happens because you attack too often . Singles is more like chess, whereas doubles is more like a first person shooter. If you attack like this all time, you opponent just need to cover the front/mid court and pin you easily to the backline.So a slower paced game will help you a lot to concentrate on your footwork more.

An other observation is, that you seem to get into a ready position quite early, often after a shot and hop around afterwards. This seems to be more useful in doubles than in singles. In singles you need to cover more distance, so after a stroke you need to get faster to where you want to be before you get ready. One/two light running steps before you ready up will help.

So after a backcourt stroke (scissor), you should use your forward momentum to lightly jog forward before splitting into your next movement or ready position.This forward movement is important in singles, in doubles your partner will be at the frontcourt and as attacker you often just need to move left/right, but seldomly forward/backward.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Do you have a video clip of a pro player doing a "lightly jog forward" on a badminton court after a scissor?

Or at all ?

5. Ballschubser

Ex-pro and now coach okay, for some basic footwork ? Or do I need to find a two time olympics winner first ?

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

In a game. Not in a demonstration!

Lots of badminton coaches do their "demonstration" very different to how they do it in a game.

One could point out an issue with the demonstration and then response is "oh but in a game......"

So an example has got to be in a game!

And notice that in her demonstration, she is not differentiating between the recovery from the scissor, and the moving to the next shot. Not really an example of what one should actually do in a game of badminton! (as is often the case with "demonstrations", hence I mention, in a game. And she might not do what you describe as "light jog forwards" in a game though granted she is in that demo. But how realistic that demo is is another matter!

Thanks

#46 ralphz, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  7. Ballschubser

We are still talking about basic footwork, not internationally pro badminton game competition. When I see, that LCW lay down on the ground after a dive and only get up and quickly go for the shuttle AFTER the opponent hit it, it would be a good coaching guideline ?

"After a dive, stay there until the opponent hit the shuttle, so you don't waste energy. LCW did this, so every beginner need to learn this essential tactic."

In sports you teach the more basic movement pattern first, until the player advances and you will teach more advance stuff based on some foundation only. Pro badminton is not the best way to start teaching players how to play badminton, tbh the stuff you see in pro badminton games will only be archived by a relative small number of players at all.

Take a look at the jump smash in singles. Pros use it to finish a rally, the real work (and harm to the opponent) is done before the final, point winning jump smash. On the other hand, a beginner want to learn the jump smash to force a winning point from a disadvantageous situation, because he only see the pros gaining so many points by jump smashing.

Mason and speCulatius like this.
  8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

There are demos of some basic footwork that is done by pro badminton players. And demos of basic footwork that isn't. **and both are fine**.

You answered the question that you can't point to it being done in a pro badminton game('cos it isn't), and we can put aside what you suggested "two time olympics winner", as I think I see you aren't trying to replicate, even in a basic way, the basics of what pros are doing, even what one sees from what one would consider a half decent player even in any local badminton club, upwards..

But it is significant that one wouldn't see that footwork done by a half decent player even in any local badminton club, upwards. And again, that's fine, but it's worth noting. And it can still be a useful thing to teach. but i'd just suggest adding that context.

Talking basic footwork, even in basic footwork, the footwork in that demonstration video is going to be problematic even at a local badminton club.(And that's fine, but it is relevant to say the issue with that footwork, and why it isn't done).

I am fine with the idea of, in certain situations, somebody being told to run straight on without recovering . or even to "jog lightly" on a badminton court (provided that it's understood that the better players in almost any badminton club wouldn't do that).

Sometimes though a person may be told to do something and they do it in a game and it completely fails. And they haven't been told that nobody does that in a game. And they haven't been told why they wouldn't do that in a game. If they did it in a club, many would point out to them why that's not going to work, by exploiting it. That doesn't mean it's wrong to teach it, just that it's important to know.the issue with it. 'cos if the person demonstrating it to them doesn't tell them, somebody else will and likely when it fails them in games. I think it's good to tell them when they learn it, so they learn it with the right context.