Recommendation for a head heavy flexible 4U racket.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Cloud Kim, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Cloud Kim

Cloud Kim Regular Member

Background: 5'10" male player in 20's with just average weight / physical abilities.
    Been playing for 6 years now and I consider myself an intermediate player. There was a time period when I thought I was on the advanced side, but I have been playing with people who regularly win in regional championships and experienced what they are capable of...lol

I exclusively play doubles. Mostly mens, and rarely mixed.

Current rackets: AX100zz, AX99 (1st batch), Lining 900i, DZS, and NF 800. All 4U except DZS (3U) and 900i (4.5U?)

When I was playing with other intermediate players, it didnt really matter what I used. I could use DZS and still be fine (arm got fatigued, but no problem). Such is not the case in advanced badminton where beasts with trickery, speed, and domineering power are ready at any second to shred me. Im learning and getting used to the increased level of play, but I realized that none of my rackets suit me at this level.

In these games, my two options are 100zz and 900i. Speed wise, these 2 rackets are both fine. I can keep up.

The problem is I lack the decisive smashes. When partner or I win those drives and net plays and get that lift, i need a more powerful smash to get the point, or at least enough to make the opponents respect it. As you guys are aware, drops and clears are a whole lot more effective when the opponent is afraid of the smashes.

Right now, the smashes are ok. But they arent "scary." I can get the level of smashes I want with my 1st gen AX99, but it is too slow for other exchanges.

100zz is too stiff (idon't have enough technique and muscle power) and 900i simply is too light.
    By light i mean the overall racket weight. It is easy to generate power with the 900i's 312 mm balance point and flexible shaft. However, no matter what I do, there is a limit due to the light weight of the racket.
    In summary, with my current technique and power, I cannot get the smashes I want with 100zz and 900i.

I used to like stiff shaft. I still do like their feeling. But i realize that for performance, i need a flexible shaft with head heavier balance point. What racket recommendations do you have for me? Someone mentioned lining 9000c earlier today. I like the flexible shaft and balance point, but I dont know how maneuverable it will be at 3U weight. I think I saw one of my club members playing with 9000c so next time I see him, I can hopefully try it. In the meantime, I would like other opinions.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. i dont play in tournaments. I already have enough stress and badminton is my stress reliever. I dont want to turn it into another stress inducer. But that doesnt mean I am just ok with staying at my current play level. I enjoy playing badminton and want to at least be a decent opponent for the people I am playing with to make it fun for everyone.

#1 Cloud Kim, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

astrox 77 blue 4u, thruster k6000 4u, aeronaut 7000i

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Hav you consider 88D? 99 1st batch known for to much head weight makes it to hard to handle.
    Anyway, what makes u think more flex power will benefit you for more power. At some point its true but at higher stage stiffer shaft will provide higher power output. Of course that can only be achieve when you are able to bend the stiff shaft & it will snap back much more powerfull than flex shaft. If you alread like & used to stiff shaft, the only reason you going back is that if you want to play lazy games.
    I mean, i going back to my flex racket when im tired & i play not to serious games. With it i can play more easy/lazy & i dont need my full power smash or precission shot on the games. But when its a match between beast, i definitely draw my deadly blade tho it more demanding.

4. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

You can consider the lining 9000D. 4u, high bp, rated as stiff but it is not; its quite flexible, maybe more flex than ax77. There are a couple of lining rackets that might suits you, look at their 4u (w2) drive versions. There is also the lining 7000b; a 3u playing Like a 4u.

good luck in your search.

5. Roughorsmooth

Roughorsmooth Regular Member

Have you considered Ashaway rackets? The Phantom X Shadow spec seems to fit the bill (4U, HH, mid flex). I haven't used one, but have a few of the Viper range rackets, and they're wonderful. Ashaway are very under-rated, imo - superb build quality and cheaper than the 'big hitters'.

Dave1011 likes this.
  6. Cloud Kim

Cloud Kim Regular Member

Thanks everyone! I tried as many of the rackets listed here as possible, including 88d, 9000c, 9000d, and ax 77.
    Unfortunately, no one owned an Ashaway racket at my club so I couldnt try those.
    Anyway, I tried someone else's AX 99 and was very surprised at how different it felt to mine (1st gen).
    It was much more maneuverable, though stiffer.
    In the end, I liked the 2nd gen AX 99 most out of all the rackets I tried, so I decided to get it.

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

for additional info, today we had new color AX99.

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Simply your opponents are better than you in some areas or overall. Accept it or train. Regardless which equipment you choose you will never beat them. If your defence is slow with a heavy racket train it with a heavy racket, if your smash is weak with a light racket, train you smash. You have highend rackets in your bag. I highly doubt a 6th will make your performance better. I think that you play with too stiff rackets overall. Maybe it's the tension, too.