How to get better at badminton (Low Intermediate)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kevin Han, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

First of all you are wrong on the fact that I did a scissor jump on my first posted video. I may have attempted to but it was done very poorly so it’s not even worth mentioning. But let’s say that I did scissor kick in the first video, it still doesn’t change the fact that I felt what Jay Ng said was good information.
    Secondly the main advice that I was given has been and still is to be more relaxed, so you are wrong there too.

Finally your comments on these threads are generally not helpful and you seem to only like to argue semantics or best case scenario arguing minute points that do not seem to matter. By you doing this you make it more difficult for people to get solid advice from this forum. I apologize to the OP for highjacking your thread. Any more comments that I make on this thread will be on topic.

Ballschubser and Kevin Han like this.
  2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Maybe you didn't notice but I said in the first words of the (short) post that you are replying to, that "It's good" i.e. what Jay Ng wrote is good.

Kevin Han likes this.
  3. Kevin Han

Kevin Han New Member

Thanks for all the post guys and girls! Really appreciate all the advice. I'll hopefully upload some footage soon. I also plan to try out Uber Eats with my bicycle to get some extra exercise. Thanks for all the resources and I'll look into them

4. sijin

sijin New Member

Student and Badminton Player
    Hi again Kevin
    I saw your questions and if you want to increase the intensity i recomend you do reps of 12 at first and do 2 sets per day at first, then add 1 more set and then add 3 more reps to each set so you would be doing 3 sets of 15, eventually add more and more reps and sets but dont add too much or your body may ache and you might have to miss some exercise.
    i also dont recomend you workout after eating because that wll cause a stitch (pain in stomach from exercise after eating) which is never plesant so i recomend you workout at least 1 hour before/after eating or in the morning witha a nice protein full breakfast afterwards. eating protein is VERY important if you are weight training because it helps your muscles to repair after workouts.
    exercises for your upperbody include, push ups (biceps and chest), dips (biceps and triceps), plank (core), pushups with thumbs touching under the chest (biceps and chest). these are only a few exercises, if you search on google im sure you coulf find 100s of exercises.
    exercises for your lowerbody include, squats (thighs), pistol squats (1 legged squats, thighs), lunges (thighs and calves) and of course these are only main exercises that i can think of off the top of my head, if you search on google, im sure you can find 100s of variations and exercsies for your lowerbody.
    Hope this helps
    Sijin Choi

Kevin Han likes this.
  5. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hi there,
    I have been playing for 10 years now and I consider myself quite "weak". I don't have raw power if that makes sense.
    When I began badminton, I know I should focus on proper technics especially on the footwork. I tried to copy the pros, replicate their moves as well as I could and recorded footage of myself playing. What I did a lot was image training, thinking about my stroke and what I thought how the stroke should be done.
    I haven't had any proper training with a coach. I was just quite stubborn about my technics.
    It's obvious that power/stamina is important but I think proper strokes/footwork is key.

I don't think it's a really high level, you can see my lack of power but it's still enjoyable.
    (I'm the nearest player)

speCulatius, ucantseeme and LenaicM like this.
  6. missclicked

missclicked Regular Member

Watched the video on Mason video, Ng had wrote about it comprehensively and I second what it wrote.

It my own short words, try to relax while playing the shots, be like the water, just flow with it.. as it appears in the video the body kinetic as a bit stiff at times.

Mason likes this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes that has been my goal for this year ; to relax... I have my own thread though called “help with stroke please “ instead of high jacking this one

8. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think your footwork and racket skills are quite solid and not weak at all. After watching your video the following got stuck:
    1. In my opinion lot of shots have no real purpose. E.g. you smash because you got behind the shuttle not because your opponent is in a bad position. So, sometimes you smash right into your opponent who just block short and win the point. In my opinion the smash needs the best placement of all shots, because it soaks up too much energy to be wasted on an easy block in singles. The same for many lifts, which just got long, instead of trying to move your opponent.

2. You don't utilize netshots or short blocks very often. So your opponent can easily stay back without risking a lot.

3. When you serve, what return do you anticipate ? Non ? Try to anticipate a shot you need to quickly react to. You opponent didn't push your serve flat to the other corner, but sometimes he just returned a netshot and almost always surprised you. When I short serve I try to anticipate the a return in the following order
    • flat push to the corners (if your serve got too high and opponent expects short serve)
    • netshot
    • flat lift to the corners
    • high lift
    For me I try to ready up immediatly with my racket at shoulder high to quickly intercept a flat push. It depends a lot on your opponents and how he likes to return. In your match I would expect a netshot and if he lift, you still have enough time to reach the shuttle.

4. Short serve: you need to add more variance and flick serves. Your serve is a toothless tiger, you always serve close to the T, no flicks, no wide serves. Your opponents just need to plan the next return before you even ready up, because he can be sure, that you will serve to the T again. A flick serve from time to time, even if it got brutally punished, and serving wider from time to time will break up that pattern and your opponent need to be much more cautious about his expectations.

5. Backhand: you have a solid backhand, but you use it too often in my opinion. When you take a backhand shot while reaching up high with your racket, why don't you move behind and use a around the head shot ? A backhand shot is again a toothless tiger, sometimes you can get away with it, when your opponent don't expect a cross-court bachhand drop or clear, but it should only be used when you don't have a better option. When you play around the head you have suddenly a lot more options (starting with cross court clears to sliced drop shots or sliced smashes) and this while you can keep an eye on your opponent.

9. akatsuki2104

Wow I didn't expect a comment on my game as it's not my thread, I appreciate :D

1) Yes, I don't have any real purpose on my shots, it's often played by habits instead (good or bad) :oops:
    2) I agree
    3) I tend to cover the pushes as I am the weakest at the back. But sometimes, it's just a lack of concentration :rolleyes:
    4) I agree
    5) I have become lazy since I got a decent backhand. I can also save some energy by using a backhand although it cuts out my options. I need to train and build some stamina :rolleyes:

Thank you for the comment !

10. Kevin Han

Kevin Han New Member

Hey people! Quick update here. I've been playing badminton for a week, now that gyms are back open.
    I will try to film myself and hopefully be able to post it soon. Been working on some basic exercises and think it is helping.
    Small problem tho
    I have been trying to use the pronation style of swing with the wrist but my coach does not recommend it.
    She recommends me to have a short small back swing and swing with the downwards flick of my wrist.
    I really want to have a big full swing but my coach says that I am not pressing down on the shuttle and my swing speed is too low to fully use the pronation swing. She recommends me to understand the way to push down on the shuttle with good impact and speed.
    Any opinions? Also, how do practice my smash outside of coaching time? I want to use my spare time to improve my swing speed while not playing badminton. Any tips?

11. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Hard to analyse something which is only explained by words. Your coach might see something going wrong or fears that you reinforce some wrong technique, or you use some incorrect terminology, so it is hard to critic your technique or the advice of your coach.

Best to make video.

12. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'm no coach so I'll assume she knows better but flick of the wrist? That's the last thing I thought should be taught. It's what beginners do and not only it's not gonna generate any power it's a movement prone to wrists injuries. Yet since I'm no coach I can't just tell you she is wrong may be she has a purpose there but it seems surprising to me.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  13. akatsuki2104

Agree with Lenaic, I would try to learn proper pronation first and then adjust the timing to have a clean hit. You will only memorize bad habits by learning the "flick of the wrist" and it's always to correct bad habits.

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Sometimes some players and even some coaches even in the UK, born here, with English supposedly as their first language can't speak English.properly,. and don't know basic anatomy. Wrist and Forearm are different.

You have to understand whether you are rotating the forearm, or flexing the wrist. They are different actions.

Please use correct terminology.

These guys from Denmark - badminton family, speak better English than many in the UK. They get the English terminology right. Often they don't even care about using the correct term.

Put aside the title of the video which is a bit misleading.

But listen to the coach in this video, his terminology is perfect.

And he explains the confusion that people have. (where they confuse wrist and forearm)

Also, many coaches describe things differ

Also, racket movement at the net is different to at the rear court.

You would use shorter swings at the front.

At the back it is also possible to use a short swing.. but it would never be just wrist flexion at the back!

When you do forearm rotation, the wrist moves in a sense, but because it is attached to the forearm. So in a sense, the wrist kind of rotates. But it's like if your head is still and you walk. You wouldn't say your head was moving. It kind of is but only because it's attached to the rest of the body and the rest of the body is moving.

Also a coach might get you to learn how to make a clean contact, before learning a full movement. Sometimes coaches don't always tell the student what their thinking is.

#34 ralphz, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  15. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It's just an unfortunate inaccurate vocabulary, Sometimes badminton players and even coaches, refer to "flick of the wrist" but they mean "forearm pronation". (and there is some upper arm rotation in the movement too so even the term forearm pronation is incomplete as a descriptor of the actual badminton movement , even on a stick smash).

So they may use it as a cue.. 'cos if somebody sees their coach do the movement and describe it as "flick of the wrist", the person seeing it wouldn't make the mistake of thinking "oh bend the wrist forwards". The phrase "flick of the wrist" is a cue that works for getting the movement, though does lead to misunderstandings about what(if anything), to strengthen, and about anatomy, and in communicating verbally. But that phrase is associated with the correct movement. It's just a problematic phrase!

#35 ralphz, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020