P. V. Sindhu पुसर्ला वेन्कटा सिन्धु

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Anks, Baddyforall and Sumanth99 like this.
  2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Thanks for sharing it. I think you were talking about her mentioning about childhood dream of giving autographs and becoming famous one day and also her mentioning about her Olympics silver winning is great achievement and nobody in India had done it before!. Am i right ! Everybody has their own way to address questions. Its her style of replying. I don't know whether it is the way of answering questions in India but i have seen most of the people in India talk like that. I am curious to know in which way you were disappointed in her answers.

#942 Baddyforall, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Dragon88 and LenaicM like this.
  3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

About the autograph thing :). Well it's only me. I don't think she ought to answer how I want it in any way ok, but let's say that saying on a CNN interview your childhood dream is to sign autographs wasn't what I expected. It came across to be slightly shallow for me. May be getting a medal, becoming WC, empowering women through her sport, representing her country at the top of the sport, and so on would have been something I was expecting for a childhood dream on a mainstream media. Signing autographs is just the consequence of those accomplishments of her. But again it's just me. I have been a bit turned off since became WC and became a living billboard. I would prefer to see her stick to the sport. Again success, fame and money will come naturally, and everyone wants it, but since her WC title it feels like it is predominant to the rest. Her most recent results also point to thay direction.

Baddie lover and Baddyforall like this.
  4. Baddyforall

Not only her, many kids here if you ask them what is your dream then they would just say they wanna be famous and give autographs to people. It may differ from person to person .

LenaicM likes this.
  5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Totally. In fact it might be everyone's dream let's face it. It's just how it came across in the interview for me or may be it was just my interpretation of her words.

May be I was being a bit picky here too, I can also say, if I were more positive minded, that she is honest and true to herself in the interview and didn't give fake pre-made answer too.

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i took it as at a young age she wanted to be famous, irrespective of what career would make her that way.

at age 3 i want to be famous. how? i don't know, i'm only 3 years old. :D

as a whole, in all sports, the answers athletes give for interviews are 98% canned and 2% personal. the interviewers rarely ask a ?'n that hasn't been asked and answered before. just once i'd like to hear a dominant athlete say "i'm the best. everyone else sucks!" in a sport other than boxing. :D:D:D

Baddyforall likes this.
  7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think is PVS is more confident and expressive in interviews
    I like that PV doesn't answer like Momota who is too humble or unrealistically modest in interviews. Every top athlete need to confidently believe that they are good enough and up in that high level, PV expresses that confidence in game and also in interviews unlike most other players.

Anks likes this.
  8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes and no. her interviews (and others) are different from other athletes, but, all of her interviews are all the same as her own (as are others unto themselves).

a players answers only change slightly if a major event happens, like finally winning the wc, because a couple of ?'s about it will come up. other than those add'l ?'s everything else will be a rehash of the past and the same generic ?'s about the future. the interviewers lack originality. they never ask anything that might draw out something new, and an athlete isn't about to open up about anything that might be new in their life.

i'm not targeting badminton specifically. i guess i've seen too many athlete interviews over the years.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Agree, if one is the best, just claim : "I am currently the best". No harm, right? But most people are modest in general and east Asians in particular. Probably due to Confucius upbringing.

10. Baddyforall

You tell me, who would say that he/she is the best ? (in any sports). But players may find a way to indirectly say that they are the best, for example, something like , 'I am my own enemy. I lost due to my mistakes (Not because my opponent is strong.....;)).' etc etc

11. Baddyforall

No. You are not picky. Just that you are unaware of the mindset of people here. Even we ourselves find it really hard as people in india has different way of living in each and every state. Their mindsets differs from North to South and East to West.

LenaicM, samkool and Baddie lover like this.
  12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer

PVS's reply: I dreamt of giving autographs since from my childhood, so its okay for me.

Interviewer's Question 1: What is your dream from childhood?
    Interviewer's Question 2: How are you coping up with all these fame, signing autographs and lime light etc ?

PVS's reply can be to anyone of the above questions form the interviewer, I think the interviewer's question was 2nd question.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    all the time in boxing & mma.
    from 2007: Serena: "Nothing worked today. You just have days like that. I don't know what it was. There's really no explanation for it," said Williams, after the tie which lasted just 1hr 18min on the Philippe Chatrier centre court. "I just pretty much stood back and let her take advantage of me. And I feel violated. All she had to do was show up." Justine Henin: "It's her opinion. I thought I just did a good job," she said.

serena williams was famous for dismissing her losses like above from 1995-2009, 14 years(!), and i kind of miss it. after a couple of major on court incidences with umpires, most notably the 2009 u.s. open, her real personality was on full display. with absolutely no pressure from her $ponsor$ she found a new personality ;). now when she compliments her opponents i can't help but laugh because the insincerity must be killing her inside. haha!

Dragon88 likes this.
  14. Baddie lover

Conor and Ronda ? :p

15. Baddie lover

16. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    I have read it and even watched it on YouTube..I think she was interviewed by someone from the USA not sure what channel but its all the things she stated there.

I believe she is a great representation of Badminton around the Globe and more so because of her On court Achievements following her Financial achievements which has led to global media house like CNN,BBC,New Zealand Herald,Australian news etc have noticed her.

Everybody was curious to know who is this lone Badminton Player who has beaten Simona Halep in the Forbes list back in 2018 and that soemhow intrigued them to do more research on her Historic achievements and she has become like a brand in herself.Even her Off Court Friend Carol mentioned the fact that she is amazed that PVS has more fame and money than she does even after her Olympic Gold,she mentioned how she got just 10% of what her friend got lolz But not to mention how Badminton isnt really that popular sport in Spain compared to how it has gotten in India over the years.

So oveall its great to have World Champions like PVS who could reflect the beauty of our sport and how to represent it nicely to the media houses of countries where Badminton isnt huge but by reading such articles the younger generation there would habe intrest in picking up badminton as their sport of choice.

Also I would like the mention the importance of english language and how I feel all badminton players should start at least learning it to a point where they could express their feelings or Give interviews in English which would help the farther world to understand our sport better.Im glad Nozomi is learning English but hope others do it well !

Sumanth99 likes this.
  17. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Sindhu decided to not participate in Uber cup due to some important personal work :rolleyes::eek::oops:

18. Baddie lover

What's with the emojis :p:cool::cool:

Someone commented she might be getting engaged :D

19. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Possible, but may be she is too young for an athlete to get engaged.
    I hate that they don't feel the prestige of nation in winning team tournaments.

20. Baddie lover

Ohh no what are you saying :confused:. That engagement thing was just one comment, maybe it's false. Some personal matter may have arisen. Sindhu is different and has been carrying expectations of the whole country since she was 19. Dont be harsh on her. She'll be back and moreover, TUC with full strength squads (of every country) will happen or not that's still an uncertainity.