Video - seeking comments on gameplay

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sgysfj, Aug 16, 2020.

1. sgysfj

sgysfj Regular Member

]

#1 sgysfj, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

One pointer is for sure your body posture. It is too relaxed, too upright, you almost never hold the racket up. Therefor you often take the shuttle very low and late. An other observation is, that you do serve roughly one foot away from the frontline which is uncommon in doubles.

Take a look at 6:50 which demonstrates both points. You serve away from the front line and your opponent counters with a bad, short receive. You 'kill' it, but in a somewhat slow and clumpsy way. Serving from the frontline, getting into a ready position immediatly while holding your racket up and getting your body more down, legs shoulder wide apart, could/should lead to a forward pounce and a quick kill as response.

Simeon likes this.
  3. sgysfj

sgysfj Regular Member

Thks... I think I'm too relaxed in my posture and noticed I stand too far while serving

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I would echo is comments , it appears like you are playing at like a 60% intensity level, you appear to be leaning much on the table. Also if there was one other easily worked on item to address , I would work on your return of serve , to be more aggressive on them

5. sgysfj

sgysfj Regular Member

#5 sgysfj, Aug 18, 2020
  6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Sometimes if you are relaxed on court, it is because your opponents are letting you get away with it.

Also it helps if your partner as well as opponents are competitive types. Sometimes you or your partner miss a return serve and don't care. Maybe cos you could win anyway. So is kind of understandable.

When your partner serves, suppose your opponents had a good return serve, not a lift, and pushed past your partner. Are you able to get it, we don't know. Maybe you would go more competitive/ready if your opponents had tried that.

You have some skills at the back but not so much at the front. You can squeeze the racket or use a very short movement and hit sharply or tap it so they lift high and you set your partner up. Maybe your shots executed at the front are a bit weak because you know the danger of hitting it out. But with net shots and short sharp racket movements it works.

You often show some good movement on the round the head side. And you know not to just lift it all the time at the front. Some of your play at front is an execution issue.

If you have a game where you lost then it may be better for you to learn from, as perhaps you would be punished for any errors. And will have been tested more.

Ballschubser likes this.
  7. sgysfj

sgysfj Regular Member

#7 sgysfj, Aug 21, 2020
  8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Also, pref with a partner that is at least as good as that one. ('cos one could always lose and have a bad partner)

Something I noticed in the video, and i'm not entirely sure why this is but maybe others know.. you had a lot of control over the game when you were at the back and they were lifting to your round the head side / backhand side.

But nothing glorious was happening when you were on the other side(your right as a right hander). That's unusual.. Usually people are the other way around when at the back! I don't know if anybody else here senses that? and maybe somebody here knows why that pattern is happening?

Some major flaw is visible in your game from 9:55 At first I thought maybe 'cos you were messing around 'cos it's the end of the game and you are ahead, there isn't much pressure, but there are some flaws there too that go beyond that. At 9:55 you lift it at the net. OK, you're not yet great at the net. Then you do a crazily wrong recovery. You are meant to go sides. (conventionally). (I have seen at club level maybe if the opponent has poor footwork and no backhand clear and no round the head smash, then somebody may lift there and take the front with their partner covering the back). You do neither. You should really go sides but you don't. You are covering a half court but you are positioned quite far forward. Your opponent did a weak clear.. which catches you and then you do a weak clear. And then he doesn't capitalise on it and he does a clear. That isn't really what doubles badminton is meant to look like! Also at 9:59 you move you take too many steps forward. and you are still moving forward while he has already cleared it again. You are meant to be stopped before they hit it.

Simeon likes this.
  9. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I think, that the 'weak' backhand side is only valid for people who are not able to hit the shuttle around the head and/or have a weak backhand. It is more of a beginner rule (play to his backhand), but will dimish once the player get better. Although it seems, that older players like to play a lot of backhands and almost never play around the head. While they have a very good backhand, they are more or less only in a defensive position (hard to attack when you are not able to see your opponent from that position). Younger players tend tp move and attack from around the head position. A lot of players are quite strong at the backhand side when they are quick enough.

I found this video of Tobias Wadenka who shares his thoughts about what corner he prefers and why (advice 2):

Simeon likes this.
  10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

yes I agree with that re what young players with some training do, vs older players.. and so on.. What I was getting at though was that the action when going back on his FH side was he seemed to be getting caught or lacking attacking shots. And also perhaps they were lifting it less there for whatever reason. But part of it is something wrong going on re his play on that side.. related to getting caught(probably footwork related), and not playing attacking shots.(maybe partly because getting caught, and partly bad habits on that side!).

I have spotted some examples related to what I mentioned.. re the FH side .contrasted with the other side.. in a very similar scenario.

If you compare 5:49 (Case where he's on the left hand side) to 9:55(Case where he's on the right hand side)

In both cases, he lifts it and doesn't go sides. And stands too far forward.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

So he's too far forward in both cases.

In both cases, they clear it.

But when he's on the left hand side, he reaches it and does an attacking shot / down.

When he's on the right hand side, he gets caught.a bit, and he clears it.

Also,

During one rally
    If you look at 3:03-3:08 it's on the RHS he does two clears in a row, no attacking.
    Then at 3:10 he steps out on the RHS, and hits it high.. If stepping out you'd be doing it to hit it early and down.

11. sgysfj

sgysfj Regular Member

I did not notice it too.. Mayb I did not attack wen on the rhs

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Yes that is definitely the case.. Part of it is that either side, left or right, you made it difficult for yourself.

There is an easy solution to that.. Correct your positioning! (in particular, the position you recover to). If you are near the net and you lift it, you're meant to go "sides"! (/a defensive position).

Going "sides"/defensive position, says your opponent might drop/smash/clear but you are ready. You were very far forwards and made it difficult for when you then tried to get a clear from them. And if you're not positioned well to hit the shuttle when the shuttle is overhead, then you won't be able to play e.g. a half decent smash or good drop. So it makes sense not to. But if you can position yourself better in recovery from your previous shot, and get to the shuttle better for the next shot, then you have more options.

#12 ralphz, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  13. sgysfj

sgysfj Regular Member

I'm too far forward in the occasions or I'm not square (side) enough?

#13 sgysfj, Aug 22, 2020
  14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

The position known as "sides" means that you are responsible for everything on your side of the court, and they are responsible for everything on their side of the court. (Looking at the centre line as dividing the court into two sides)

So if they clear it on your side, you have to be able to go back and get it, and if they do a drop it on your side, you have to be able to go forward and get it. Likewise your partner. You on your side of the court. He on his side of the court.

You are too far forwards. Hence when your opponent cleared it, you struggled and your options were limited. And you'd have struggled way more if he'd have been able to do a good clear.

You are too far forwards at 9:57 after you do a lift

If you'd been in the correct position, then it'd be normal doubles footwork./positioning.

[​IMG]

#14 ralphz, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020