Victor thin towel grip reel?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Mark A, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I'm curious to try GC200 as well. I need a replacement for GR334 now that it's gone to the dogs with the latest manufacturer change.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

#201 Ch1k0, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It‘s very rough and stinks atrociously. Very chemical scent. But very thin. Enjoying it so far, but it‘s a big switch from the thick and soft Yonex one to this.

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    For a moment I inferred the "stinks atrociously" as meaning "absorbs sweat and magnifies the odour"

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Nah, straight outta the box or rather wrapping.

5. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Seems I'm better off with locally made thin towel grips that cost me 0.20$ a piece then. :p

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It‘s great, but not perfect. I‘d prefer it a little softer and more dense, if that makes sense.

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Does anyone know what the e-packet shipping option is from Rakuten? Chitose Sports for example has on its page that the e-packet is only used for orders up to 6000yen and weigh less than 2kg, but there's no pricing. EMS has pricing by weight from 500g. How much does a single pack of towel grip weigh?

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I'll just update my own post here for anyone who's interested. The e-packet shipping cost 1235JPY, and because it is limited to goods up to 6000JPY, only 22 402DX can be ordered from chitose sports (https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chitosesports-b/item/ac402/) based upon the current price (it's currently the cheapest seller on Rakuten). I did manage to get 23 though when I ordered it a couple months ago when it was even cheaper. It worked out to be $3.90 AUD per grip which is roughly $2.80 USD based upon the current conversion rates.

I'm going to check with them how many grips fit 100g, to see what the price would be like to order the 402DX in bulk. It's still incredibly expensive compared to every other grip but it really is one of a kind!

9. MohitDan2

MohitDan2 New Member

Do you wrap it directly on the wooden handle?

10. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    use something to cover your handle. most wrap it with electric tape. some guys use scotch tape. before putting the grip.
    without that layer you risk pulling out bits of the wood when you remove the grip later.

11. MohitDan2

MohitDan2 New Member

Ohk! But if in the future i change my mind and decide to use an overgrip instead,i wont be able to do so without the base grip. The black yonex base grip isnt available here.

12. Junye

Junye Regular Member

U can buy a replacement grip.

13. Junye

Junye Regular Member

My Li Ning reel towel grip gc200R is here.

It's very thin. Too thin. The material is not soft as victor. But the grip surface is rough.. Like you touch the road surface.

Grip wise is good, won't slip away. I probably need to add more fruit wrap below.

The double sided tape is like the old victor.. Very easy to maneuver.

Dr Vikram Varma and freakyGameR like this.
  14. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    There's inconsistencies in my experience with GR200 as a reel. The individual packets for me behaved much like 402DX in terms of the tape and its ability stretch. However when I tried 2 different sets of reels I got the same consistent problem. The tape stretch was pretty near to that of the current GR334. Very rigid and needed great force to make it yield. New GR334 is the worst still, its like trying to stretch aluminium tape.

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

These new Li Ning ones have caught my interest. GC200, I think, but the individual ones have more colours.

But the pricing is abominable. Like Porsche - they strip a 911 down to the bones... then charge you MORE for the resulting car?

swsh likes this.
  16. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Just curious which thin towel grips people are using now? 402dx is getting more expensive and harder to get now. Where are you guys getting GR200 from and do they ship internationally?

17. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Bump, anyone? Updates please! :oops:

18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Just got a reel of GC200R from Taobao. Not bad pricing considering the shipping is charged twice (once to shipping forwarding warehouse and once to final destination). Thanks to @Junye for the tip on how to order from there. I estimate that I can order four reels at once with the same shipping fee, which would roughly result in just over $15 AUD or $10 USD per reel.

My initial impressions are similar to everyone else's. It's thin, as thin as AC402DX, but the pile feels quite harsh and it's not as dense. Not sure if it'll soften after absorbing some sweat, but for almost 10x cheaper price compared to 402DX, it's probably worth the substitute.

Cory and Junye like this.
  19. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

How's the victor GR338 compare to GR334?

20. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I've no idea about GR338 but I've recently been using GR334, and I have to say it feels very nice. The pile is soft, thin, just that it's hard to stretch. Unfortunately I recently ordered more but instead got some in black colour (I ordered red before), and the black grips feel very rough, very similar to GC200R and almost completely different to red colour in feel. Quite disappointed really.. not sure if it's QC issues or maybe the black dye stuffs up the softness.

swsh likes this.