Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Oh dear, ... additional withdrawals.

On an NBA update published today, Shida/Matsuyama no longer feature on the list of participants going to Denmark.

This means that Saishunkan will not send any representatives.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

My goodness! I hope that there is no withdraw anymore.

3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah but elsewhere is affected just like Asia right? But sports event are still taking place...

What about other sports in Asia? Have those been cancelled too?

4. terrynguyen121988

I think all of Japanese withdrew. I see the the new draw which shown that Gemke was the number 1 seed.

That means Nishimoto will not play in Denmark. I'm not sure about Okuhara, but if she was still on the draw, she's the only one left.

#1944 terrynguyen121988, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Really!! That would mean that Antonsen isn't playing, either. :eek:

There haven't been any further updates from the NBA. Let's wait and see, ... and keep our fingers crossed. :)

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  6. terrynguyen121988

I'm waiting for more information! Just wait!

if the draw is true, it means that not only Nishimoto but also Kidambi, Chou Tien Chen, Antonsen. They all withdrew.

7. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Then cancel this tournament too lol

8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I'm curious where you saw these draws. As draws should not be done until the team manager's meeting.

9. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The draw was actually already published on September 29, and you can see this version on the BWF Calendar page: https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/events/calendar/. That having been said, there has not been a revision since the withdrawal of prominent Bird Japan players.

I am not sure about the finer details of team managers' meetings, but I believe that the actual time (scheduling) of the matches is decided on. Also, as there tend to be last minute withdrawals, the original draw is updated, so to speak. Players on the reserve list get promoted, etc.

10. terrynguyen121988

I don't want to public it because it's can be fake news, and I also keep hope that Nishimoto will play Denmark Open next week.
    denmark new draw.png

#1950 terrynguyen121988, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    draw revisions are not always posted publicly.
    initial draws are done 2 weeks before competition. this gives any pfq/pfr/pmd players enough time to get to the tournament in normal non-pandemic times. was there enough time for a re-draw due to all of the wd's? hard to say since we don't know the exact date bwf received the the wd's. as far as we outsiders know they came at many different times. for logistics sake i would assume there will not be a re-draw.

major changes are not done at a mgr's meeting. any changes are decided on beforehand then communicated to the teams @ the meeting, which takes place the day before competition starts.
    i suppose we'll find out once the tourney starts. 13 wd's in ms alone is most unfortunate. however, i love the fact lower ranked players are getting a crack at a wt 750. i see many names of players who were playing int'l series level last year.

kurako likes this.
  12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Yes, I was speaking of the updated draws. Any last minute withdrawals, promotion of players, then get redrawn into the withdrawing player spots (assuming if more than 1 player withdrew). I've seen some team managers meeting go for a very long time due to the fact that many players withdraw in one tournament.

For sure those are not the correct draws. Some of those players in that draw did not sign up for the tournament, per M&Q report 1.

I found the source of those draws. It's for the SaarLorLux Open, which is 1 week after the Denmark Open.

https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=8F38B3E6-2A2B-4213-84C0-47DE9FAB077E&draw=1

samkool, kurako and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  13. terrynguyen121988

14. mistable

mistable New Member

According to Nozomi Okuhara's instagram, she will be participating and is departing today.

Additionally, according to Victoria Kao's instagram (Chou Tien Chen's physio and corner seen during matches), they have already landed in Denmark so I assume that Chou will be the number 1 seed.

Nishimoto has not posted anything on social media.

#1954 mistable, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    samkool and kwun like this.
  15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Let me confirm that the six Bird Japan members remaining on the NBA's list of participants, i.e., Nishimoto, Okuhara, Fukushima/Hirota, and Nagahara/Matsumoto, departed from Narita Airport this morning.

They were accompanied by Park Joo Bong, Nakashima Kei, Choi Sangbeom, and Nakanishi Yosuke.

Park Joo Bong commented that the decision had been a difficult one, but in order for the players to experience an international tournament and regain their match fitness, it was decided to participate, even with a depleted group.

As far as I am concerned, even this smaller-sized representation from Japan is meaningful, and I hope that the players add spice to the tournament.

upload_2020-10-10_10-14-0.png

#1955 kurako, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  16. terrynguyen121988

Here they are ^-^

17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Japan Head Coach, Park Joo Bong, responded to an interview this morning prior to departing for Odense. Here are his comments, as translated from an article published on the Badminton Spirit website:

PJB: Due the coronavirus epidemic, this is the first international tournament for us since the All England in March. At the outset, all Team A members were expected to participate, but one week before our national training camp, the number of infections in Denmark started to rise again, and corporate teams as well as players asked various questions. It is a little unfortunate that only six players ended up participating. However, from next January, with big tournaments such as the Asia Open I/II and WTF scheduled to be held, I believe that, if we can play in this tournament without any problems, then, in January, we will be able to compete in earnest, aiming for the Tokyo Olympics.

Q. In light of the rise in infections in Denmark, it must have been difficult to decide whether to participate, or not. What prompted the final decision?
    PJB: The decision to participate was difficult one, made not only by me, but as a result of daily contact with NBA staff via telephone, and the sending out of a questionnaire to players three times. All along, the owner of each corporate team also asked questions, and the number of participants decreased. The final decision to participate was made in the belief that experiencing an international tournament would stand us in good stead for next year.

Q. What would you like the players to be aware of?
    PJB: As the biggest concern is coronavirus, the answer would have to be physical safety. We have been holding national training camps since September, and have undergone checks for coronavirus, including PCR testing. Three days prior to departure, we underwent a PCR test, and further tests are scheduled after arrival in Denmark, as well as during the tournament. Safety comes first. Secondly, I would like the players to reacclimatise themselves to the atmosphere of an international tournament.

Q. What kind of results are you looking for?
    PJB: Although only a few players are being fielded, in the WD category, with our top two pairs, Fukushima/Hirota and Nagahara/Matsumoto participating, we are aiming for the championship. In women’s singles, too, as Okuhara is participating, I hope that she can put up a good fight against Carolina Marin.

Q. It has not been decided when the ranking points of this tournament are going to be added.
    PJB: It is expected that points earned will be incorporated into world ranking points, but an announcement has not been made as to when this will happen. However, I am sure that they will be added and, as this will affect participating players’ prospects of securing a place in the World Tour Finals, it is an important aspect.

Q. Looking at the players’ performance, how confident are you as a coach?
    PJB. Since the training camps scheduled in June, July, and August were all cancelled, there have been only two camps, in September and October. Nevertheless, all players have been practicing with their respective teams since the All England. Some players have lost a little muscle mass, but on the whole, there are no problems with their movement. My concern is how they will perform in a tournament setting after such a long absence.

----- :):)

Maurice MJC, lodoss, visor and 5 others like this.
  18. kurako

kurako Regular Member

And just for our No. 1 Nishimoto fan, here is a translation of his pre-tournament comment. The original Japanese is available on Badminton Spirit's website at https://www.badspi.jp/202010101120-2/. Actually, Nishimoto looks good in the photo!
    (... And Momota may well feel a little vexed.)

Little by little, I am getting used to my new environment. I decided to participate in the Denmark Open in the hope of earning even a few points for the World Tour Finals, although there is still uncertainty whether the event will be held, or not. Under the current circumstances, I am grateful to be able to compete, and whilst appreciating the sensation of playing a game, I aim to do my best.

(On being asked about withdrawing, or not…) I was a little uncertain, but decided to think positively. As it turns out, I am the only male singles player left, but everyone has their own way of looking at things; my way of thinking is that, out of a feeling of gratitude for the position I am in, I want to strive to do my utmost.

Even though I have changed my environment, there has not been a big change in my attitude to the game. In order to test what I have practiced in my new environment, I intend to stretch my ability to the fullest.

-----:):)

19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The Denmark Open is progressing as Head Coach Park Joo Bong expected; an all-Japan WD final, and a determined Okuhara stamping her authority over Michelle Li to proceed to the WS final. Indeed, Okuhara has made it clear that her reason for participating in this tournament was so that she could test herself against Marin. It should prove an interesting match. :)

Nishimoto was never touted by Park Joo Bong as a potential winner. Actually, he was not even mentioned, which, in retrospect, is somewhat concerning. According to Badminton Spirit, following his match against Gemke, Nishimoto commented that, "My opponent played extremely well, and I wasn't able to receive as well as I anticipated." The fact that he was defeated by a player he has never lost to before will no doubt weigh heavily.

trizzforce and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  20. terrynguyen121988

I rewatched the match between Momota vs Gemke and then Nishimoto vs Gemke to see what was the difference.

Momota has a great defence that help him calm down (or have confidence) with Gemke's smashes, and trike back with 60-70% power smashes, this thing helped him to keep control the match by "keep the shuttle down".

When Momota played net shot, he know the position that his opponent stand on court, by glancing ??? (as my experience, I don't look at the shuttle when I play in front the net), Nishimoto just follows his tactic like a robot, sometimes he plays the spin net shot although his opponent stood right after the net and waited for it. Maybe Nishimoto knew it too, but he didn't dare to take a defensive clear and just choose a 50-50 solution in which if his spin net shot was well, he has an opporturnity to smash, vice versa he will do a "flash retrive" with luck.

This is suicide!

Further more, Momota didn't jump so high to smash, this helped him to move fastly to in front the net or follow the next shot from his opponent, with Nishimoto case, he jumped so high to smash, and because of his body (heavier and taller) he was slower to follow the next shot if the opponent can defense it.

Sometimes, because of he jumped too high and did not control his balance, he hit the shuttle to the net.

Well I hope you guys can know that I want to say, my english is not good enough to explain.

#1960 terrynguyen121988, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    ainchekar and kurako like this.