I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Nobody is suggesting forearm horizontal or anywhere near that, so that's a big red herring.

What i'm saying is that almost vertical forearm is probably fine, (And arguably ideal?). Would you say that ideal is completely 100% vertical? Or "almost vertical"? By almost would you say offset by 0-10 degrees? And would 20 degree offset be too much in your view?

And if you agree re that, that almost vertica eg 0-10 degrees l is fine or ideal, then from a pedagogical perspective there could be an argument either way. vertical, or almost vertical or both .

Also I think you are mixing forearm and racket shaft..

Also you are mixing talk of forearm vertical and racket vertical. They are very different things. If the forearm is almost vertical, then the racket shaft could be vertical(And I think that's good). If the forearm is vertical then the racket shaft won't be(and that may be not so ideal).

#141 ralphz, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I think the reason for your forearm being so "not upright" is your position is wrong..and you are compensating. If you just moved nearer to the shuttle then you may find your forearm would be more upright to hit it and that it's more natural to be so.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Forearm vertical, racquet shaft horizontal.

Warning against having that situation.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I know you're joking by exaggeration or exaggeration of the converse or of a different thing, but again this is a big red herring, nobody is suggesting anything like that.

#144 ralphz, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Hey guys - it's been a while. Corona has simmered down - at least for the small town I live in - and I'm back in uni playing badminton. It's been a few weeks (august) since I've started playing badminton and I've noticed a few changes.

• I've really embraced the doubles front playstyle. It's all I practice these days, and I think it shows (hopefully can show clips, more on that in a sec). My net play is much better, defense is more consistent, etc.
    • Continuing on this - my footwork for singles is terrible.I'm starting to play more singles to help that, but I've been so focused on learning rotations for double, practicing explosiveness and lateral movements, that it seems my single has been suffering now.
    • A lot of my exp from last year has retained and I've been able to build off it. I regained my previous knowledge quickly, and am getting back to my peak physical condition too.
    • Training with heavy rackets - 120g proved to be too light now and I've moved on to 150g, and sometimes using a headcover as well.
    Bought a gopro which will be useful for wide POV, as well as recording in 120fps/240fps so it can hopefully help me and you guys see my technique a bit easier.

Excited to be back :)

6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Alright guys - finally an update! (October 7th)

So today my partner and I started "training" for our mixed doubles tournament (intramural) on the 20th. She's like 2nd best female in our club but will still need a lot of work because the guys in our club are quite good compared to the females.

The two videos:

I normally play front so it's been taking some adjusting to get footwork down again. It feels more akin to single footwork, where when I play front its more of leaps and explosive lateral movements.

Also I've been really trying to get my smash technique down. When I practice it, or do drills, I understand it. Hit at highest point, hit overhead, small angle, start with hip for kinetic chain, etc.

But when it's a game it seems to go away. I have a really hard time. I think it's my footwork? I need to realize I need to get myself RIGHT behind the shuttle, where my left shoulder is right in front of it basically.

Are there drills that simulate real game to work on doing smashes under pressure? Or should I just keep getting reps into to make muscle memory speed up the process? Smashing properly for me is still a very conscious process (okay, time to flex hips, etc.)

Also, any suggestions for mixed double drills? My partner struggles with positioning, as well as moving fast - even if it's just to get nets that are just one or two steps out of her reach. You can see me getting visibly frustrated in the videos - and I'm not sure how to drill her/us to cut down on it.

Any other tips will be useful of course - given our limited time to train we won't be able to cover everything I want to. I think footwork and racket reactions are most important, no? And for me, working on that smash is my only concern I think.

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are some things that I think would have the biggest improvement to your game playing mixed doubles. Over all it seems like you have your partner all of the time. That is not correct for mixed doubles.....
    1.)when you are returning a serve your partner should be behind you not in front of you. Along with that you are lifting almost every serve because you are standing too far back , move up another foot or so.
    2.) another related thing is when your team lifts and has to defend you should be in a side to side position not a front back position.

Both of you just fixing your positioning will help you a lot.. watch some pros mixed doubles to help with that.

And yes you are correct that you BOTH need to work on your footwork. You are not really doing any proper footwork patterns when you play which will impact your smash the most. So more practice on your footwork drills will benefit you both.

ralphz likes this.
  8. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    @Mason - what do you mean I have by partner all the time?

And yeah footwork - can never get away from it lol

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Sounds like an Americanism, very "ununiversal" English, like "I got yo ass". i.e. Somebody is covering for somebody else. "I got ya" like if you were to catch somebody that was falling. "I got your back dude". or "don't worry dude, I got yo back". So if your partner gets into trouble, you save the day, the kind of language you hear americans use in "cop" films/"movies".. So I think maybe he's trying to say that your partner is messing up and you are having to take shots that ideally you shouldn't need to. That's just my attempt at translating his americanisms. Just a wild guess.

10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Ah I understand. Makes sense.

And yeah - I know. She has very close to little game sense, and very little motivation to improve IMO. It's a tough case I've been dealt and IDK what to do.

And yeah I know I need my footwork to be better - but I think in the 2 weeks we have, it would be better spent prioritizing her training, no?

Sigh.... I've been watching mixed doubles as well to see what I could personally do better.

Any help would be useful

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I was just guessing a translation for Mason's Americanism for you. I can't comment re your mixed video. As of yet, I have hardly trained in mixed. My training is mainly men's doubles. You have the cardio fitness for mixed, go for it / knock yourself out! All I can say, is that wild dodgy male partners are more awkward than that female one! As I said I was simply guessing a translation for Mason's americanism, into English!

If somebody has commented that your footwork is bad, you could ask them for details like timeframe and exactly where. Because anybody can say "footwork". It's like somebody could put on a dentist outfit and tell you you haven't been brushing your teeth enough or thoroughly! The truth comes out, for better or worse, once it gets technical! Mason might have some good advice, he has a lot of natural talent , so do you. He might have seen specific things re it.. you could push him on it. Question what he says and what anybody says and see what makes sense then.

As for partners, in general badminton clubs, you usually can't expect them to improve. Also, if you improve fast, and they don't, then you might not notice their smaller improvements so much anyway! Don't make your training dependent on theirs! The random partners is the situation in countries and badminton clubs all over the world. And many clubs have lower requirements for female players. Like one club I travel to sometimes, men have to be grade of B upwards, and women grade of C upwards. And in competitive clubs I have played at, there are very few women.

#151 ralphz, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Training Update 10/8/20
    Worked on two things today - only had two other people so we just did half court drills.

• Two people on one side, one person in back smashes, and person in front has to try to kill short/weak lifts.
    • Person on other side has just to defend everything until error.

Feel like I could be lower when defending. And use footwork. I kinda am planted right in the middle, and that messes me up if sides are far right or left.

Smashes, still I don't get it. Recording footage I see I'm using much too arm, taking it on the side. I wish I had a coach that would tell me how to do it lol.

I see pro's and when I dry swing or practice I can emulate somewhat. Maybe more drills? IDK

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Actually this is not what I meant , I just miss typed. What I meant to say was that you are in a front to back position all of the time and that is not correct

14. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

Fair enough - thank you for the perspective check. It gets hard sometimes - wish I played at a club that had people as serious as me sometimes haha.

Time to work on myself :)

15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I’m in the same boat , check your private messages .....

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Better to post in thread if you can as then there is peer review.. and it can help others.

Don't worry if you say something incorrect. Try to be as correct as you can, is fine. Anybody at any level can say something incorrect.

The beauty of a forum is that if you say something wrong somebody can point it out. So it also keeps things honest.

Also, if lots of help is in PM then it helps less people.

17. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Basically he just called me and told me he was in the same boat - key word being WAS. He told me what he did to improve, I'm going out right now but I'll edit this post later with a more in-depth transcript.

18. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Thanks.. would be great to see that. I think Mason probably has some good advice that could be shared. It'd be interesting to see his suggestions. He has made some very good progress. You have too.

19. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

Played a single game yesterday. Footwork is HORRIBle, and only slightly better when I'm actually trying in game three.
    Also am exhausted and low on the tank (today was a carb day diet wise, but had just gotten done with weightlifting and a doubles game prior to this)

20. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

You are way too relaxed (tired). Make sure to be immediately return to the base after every strokes and be ready (low stance, you are standing straight).
    Also, you tend to use the bevel grip. It's ok for the pushes/kills