Advantages and Disadvantages of 5U 6U 7U rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by johnnxiv, May 18, 2011.

1. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Light racket users, don't you guys have the issue where you feel that the shoulder is popping off during a big smash or a base to base clear?

2. Catherine zheng

Catherine zheng New Member

It's not the lighter the better.

Gpower likes this.
  3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    The weight (your question) of a racket has its pros and cons. E.g. if a racket is too light, you may find it hard(er) to generate speed. On the contrary, it may be more agile, allowing a player quick actions at the front of the court. If a racket is heavier, you'd get more power to help in your clears and smashes, but you may find it slower in drive, and in front. Other than the Us, there're also head heavy/light etc.

4. phdr_hroch

phdr_hroch New Member

You have have to be doing something wrong, be careful.

I recently bought Windstorm 72 and I love it. I think it's head heavy, so smashes are not that much of a problem, mostly because you feel like you have extra little time for them. More time means better positions and better swings. Baseline to baseline clears are problem only if I'm there late or use wrong technique. If you play doubles you need speed and that's why you use lighter racket.

Best advantage is that lighter racket means less fatigue - if you're strong pro, it's not an issue, but i'm not.
    Worst disadvantage is that lighter racket lacks that raw satisfying power in smashes.

sp00k and Ngcantrong like this.
  5. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Not sure, just using the same amount of force in smashing as i would when i'm using a head heavy 3U racket. But i agree on the extra time that a light racket provides.

6. LENITH

LENITH New Member

I had Apacs feather weight 55 (7U approx 58gm) and Mizuno Speedflex 7.0 Pro (5U, 78gm). By default I should have felt more speed with Apcs FW, however it wasn't the case. I used to feel more speed and faster reflex with Mizuno and the reason remained known to me. It might have been the shape of frame or design difference which causes this.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Gpower likes this.
  7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Imagine these.
    You have 2 vehicle, with 100m gap between both facing each other.
    1 is big heavy car.
    1 is small light weight car.
    When you push the big one you need an extra power to move it 1st & as it moving its getting easier to move. Push it around 50m & let it ram/crash the small one. As it hit, the small one will be pushed back by the big car weight momentum.
    Then do the same but move the small one this time. You will realize that its easy to push the small car, but as it hit, the big car would be hardly move from its position. Light car gain less momentum to maintain its force.

Back to racket. When racket string bed meet the shuttle, both will try to alter its energy force to other direction. So heavier racket would be able to maintain & transfer its energy back to the shuttle more with its momentum. Other hand lighter one would be less likely to keep pushing the shuttle.

So does heavy weight is all what we need? Nope. Energy created from movement & faster mean stronger energy. Lighter racket benefit for easier swing which mean faster speed. While heavier racket would be slower as... Well... Uummm... Its heavy (obvious right).

So speed or weight? Both seems to have potential for strong punch. I would say you need both. There is 1 last thing to know. Each player have their own physical, & muscle attribut that different from each other. No matter how strong you would be, you wont be a Hulk to swing 100KG racket & no matter how fast you are, you wont be as fast as The Flash to do 100 full swing in 1sec. You need to find a balance/golden point where you are able to swing the weight easily & able to gain good swing speed from it.

So for your question, if you are able to gain even more speed to cover the weight loss, its still good for you but if not then it will turn your stroke weaker or even risk yourself getting injury for trying to swing it way faster that what your body can hold.

missclicked and LENITH like this.
  8. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

This reminds me of something. The big car is soft, the small car is stiff....

9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

When first switching from a 3u to a 7u racket, I couldn't clear at all. There's just no power. A couple of weeks with some technique adjustments later, my clears now are often too long. So in my experience the disadvantage is there is an adjustment period that will be different for everyone. Some might never adjust at all.

LENITH likes this.
  10. Driger1

Driger1 Regular Member

Ok I own LN Windstorm 76 5U and YN Voltric Z Force II 4U

Though there is only 1 U different but those two rackets are very different in term of weight and heaviness,
    and this is what I can say as a doubles player:

5U Rackets
    Advantage: faster swing speed, easier to defend, easier to net kill, and you don't have to use too much energy to move around on the court
    Disadvantage: SMASHING, You can't generate that much power with this kind of racket, so if you're a smasher you better look for a different kind of racket

I loved my Windstorm 76 for quite some time until I realized I don't have the satisfaction in smashing and winning points due to my light racket, I tend to play as a back court player and I noticed that I had to smash with my full power 3-5 times until I can win the rally and for getting a point with a few smashes, it can be tiring.

So I decided to purchase and swing my VTZFII and this time around, I had to say that I only have to smash up to 3 times with all of my power and then I can win the rally, yes I am a bit slower on the court now but I am going to train my legs and improve my footwork so that way I can move faster and smash harder.

Cheung likes this.
  11. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Hi, sorry for bringing back this thread to life again :D
    So, i'm a fanboy of watanabe which is rumoured he'll be using the new 9000i (5U Weight, 320ish mm BP) and i'm interested
    Also i've never used or try a Headheavy 5U racket (Windstorm, Lining Instinct/Drive series), so for anyone who have experience with similar racket type like maybe 7000i or other Lightweight HH racket, how does it play compared to 4U/3U Even - Head Heavy Racket? (Drive, Clear, Smash, Drop etc)

*Currently using 9000C & JPX Ltd
    Speediest racket i've used is BS12 3U, and Yonex Light i series (5U But Head Light)
    Slowest/Most Powerful racket i've used is 3U Ax99 (Orange 1st gen)
    Thanks in advance :)

12. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Just so you know LN often gives pros completely different racquets with the same model name as consumer versions. For all we know his could be a custom, 3U version of 9000i.

13. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Oh im well aware of that :D
    Im asking about the differences between 5U extreme HH & 3U Even - Slight HH
    Thanks in advance

14. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

My 4u head heavy rackets and 3u even balance rackets play similar in swing and level of difficulty, which is why if i cant find a 3u even balance racket i just go for a hh 4u