Requesting Yonex Racket Recommendation for 5'2 Petite Girl

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by slair76116, Nov 20, 2020.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I haven’t played the AX66 myself yet and I really don’t like giving any advice based on paper specs alone. However, considering the situation you’ve described, l would tend towards the more flexible option. Sounds to me as if she needs as much help from the shaft as possible.

If it all feels too wobbly in the end, then you can always increase string tension a bit to compensate.

Another point to consider - have you asked her which one she prefers in terms of looks? For many players, it’s very important to play a pretty racket to make them feel confident about it.

#21 s_mair, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Woesi likes this.
  2. Mcth

Mcth Regular Member

When I stop playing for 10 years and started again ...

I went to those big sport shops where they have a wider range of rackets and flick flick Abit . Not high flick just left to right.

Why don't u bring your wife do the same... Keeping to the more flexible rackets ....
    See what she says about the feels .....
    Then buy the best one for her .....
    Then put the 20 to 22lbs um66 string

3. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

Good looking racket comes first! The rest are secondary ahahahhaa

ucantseeme likes this.
  4. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    My wife has no patience. If I take her to a shop without knowing or narrowing her options down she will come back with the cutest racket, that's it. And then I'll hear all the old complaints all over again a week later.

So I want to give her three options and tell her choose one of these, at least I know she will have a good racket for her style, and she will get to choose what she likes aswell. win win.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

just go to the store, ask the shopkeeper to take out all 4U mid flex racket with BP<=295, & then let the lady choose. After that strung it with 20-22lbs.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have strung AX66 and tons of AX77. Between the two AX66 is a tad more flexible. quite noticeable. For a beginner I would lean more towards the AX66 if you compare it to AX77 also in 4U.

7. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    Thanks a Lot

8. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    Definitely look into Yonex Nanorays GlanZ. That thing is so easy to clear with and the sweetspot is huge. It's also a 4U, pretty light. My student who is a 4 ft 10in 16 year old can hit clears with it. She is also a beginner.

9. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    ok got it, thank you so much

10. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

I've made the switch to lighter rackets, sub 80 grams, and find them much easier to use. And so does every female in our club. They don't take as much effort to move around, are fast, cause no aches and pains, and you can play all day. Granted, you lose some smashing power, but the rackets I'm going to recommend have just as much or more than many mainstream rackets. And a lot of smashing comes from proper technique regardless of the racket, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect right now, or at all, for her. You mainly want to get her into the game in a way that makes it fun and enjoyable so she will stick with it (and you). I've found that in my club nothing will turn a beginner female off to this sport faster than a heavy, stiff racket. It doesn't matter how great it is or how much it costs, they just don't like them.

I'm looking for a backup one for myself and compiled this list, mainly from BadmintonRacketReview's specs, and I also suggest that you sign up on their site (free) so you can explore the specs of the over 700 rackets on their website.

These are all under 80 grams and are considered to be flexible to the lower end of mid-flex, with total scores over 80, for 10 different performance parameters (the two highest rated rackets on their site scored 94's, and one of them is on this list.)

Yonex Arcsaber FB
    Yonex Nanoray Light 11i
    Apacs Asgardia
    Apacs Featherweight XS
    Jnice Elastic Air 73

Check out their site and definitely let her be involved in the process.

Good Luck!

Scrench

#30 Scrench, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  11. DannyOP

DannyOP New Member

I recommend besides the racket enroll her in a coaching class for beginners too. After a few months you'd be surprised how much improvement you'll notice. Even for experienced players like me I started joining coaching classes to improve my old bad habits. It tremendously improved my games.

12. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

DannyOP is right on the money. And if you read between the lines of his statement, he said "for experienced players like me." That infers that he has played a long time... with bad habits. If someone is not properly taught from the get-go, then any playing after that can easily make improper technique a habit, which ultimately makes the game less fun, and causes frustration.

If she plays for fun and exercise, that's one thing, but if she wants to get better, even competitive, taking time to practice is always far better then playing.

13. pughon

pughon Regular Member

Well, it is a little ridiculous as you recommend these rackets here and you ask for experience of these rackets considering buying one IN ANOTHER THREAD o_O

Woesi likes this.
  14. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    I've tried to find her a coach in Denpasar, Bali. but have failed. In fact its what I tried to do first. A racket is an investment for anyone I think who wants to play long term. Regardless of experience or level of play. I think if you are going to play long term, its wise to invest in good shoes, Racket, string and find out your string tension in that order, and last but not least clothes.

15. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    Do they have racket demos where you live?

16. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    No they don't I live in Qatar

17. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    That is very unfortunate. Then I stand by my statement that the Yonex Nanoray GlanZ is the best racket for your wife and if you can find it, the Li Ning N9 1st generation would be a close second. If technique is a huge issue, I wish I could visit Qatar to help you out with coaching since teaching beginners is my specialty.

18. slair76116

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    Maybe one day I can get you a ticket and you can give one month of free lessons?

Which country do you recide in?

My wife is in Bali now.

19. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    I live in the US. California to be exact.

20. PauLCW

PauLCW Regular Member

Bird Slayer
    the only yonex racket i know that will suit your wife is the astrox 00 a 7U head heavy mid flex toy. I'm not sure if its still on the market though