Racket recomendation for 9 year old newbee

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by pucko, Dec 14, 2020.

1. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Hello.

My son wants to start to play badminton. He have only tried it once in scool before.

Can someone reccomend a good racket for him. I like to stick with Yonex I think

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Just take him/her to the store & let him choose any racket (low-mid end racket) he/she like (mostly based on its color).

Low-mid end racket usually quite user friendly to use.
    Getting a colorfull racket will motivate the kids for sure as they play with thing they like.
    Its cheaper for sure, so you dont have to worry much if he/she clash, drop, or anything that would broke the racker.

For Yonex
    Astrox 7
    Nanoflare Drive
    Yonex Tour series
    Recently added but not sure if its sell there, Astrox DG series.

3. Adeline Hockaday

Adeline Hockaday New Member

For a 9 year old, a racket with lightweight and easy to fit grip is best suited. My personal recommendation is the Dynamic Shuttle Sports Ares Red 68 because it is super light to practice game and it is extremely cheap to afford for kids from a medium class family.

Moreover, i don't recommend handing over expensive racquets to kids because they have higher changes of breaking easily when smashed on a hard surface and kids are best at it. Also, expensive racquets are heavier too and are mainly made for professional players. Therefore some of the best lightweight and affordable rackets for children of age 9 are (Besides DSS Ares Red 68):

• Senston N80 Graphite Single
    • Senston 100% full carbon fiber badminton racket set
    • Yonex Nanoray 10 F
    • Ritetrak sports fiberflash 7
    • & a few others.
    Check out the full list here: https://www.badmintonbuys.com/best-budget-badminton-racket/

Hope that helped!
    With regards.

4. pucko

pucko Regular Member

To be honest, Price I don't care so much about. Reason I say Yonex, is because it is usually easy to find in a shop and I don't have to order one from another country. It is close to christmas and If I like to give it as a Christmas gift I probably need to buy / order it locally to get it in time for christmas. I guess I should go for a Medium och flexible racket? Should it be head heavy or not? (Does that help him get more power, or will it be more difficult to play with). And what would be a good string tension to start with?

5. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

For complete beginners you can go for a Flexible to medium flexible (rather than medium) racket, since the extra flex can help generate power that children at that age simply do not have.
    The extra flex can also help to prevent feeling pain in the shoulder, arm, wrist or elbow (usually due to improper technique, try to teach him proper pronation early on).

Anything medium to slightly head heavy will do the job fine and as you mentoined can help generate power (just don't go for a really hh racket).

As a assistent trainer for our childrens' and pupils' group in our club I noticed that quite a few start with headlight rackets since they are very easy to handle, bust most of them switch to balanced to slightly headheavy rackets once they get into league games just for the extra power.

Looking at the weight 4u is what I would recommend. It is not too heavy (not too tiring to use) and also not too light.
    If people with improper strength and especially technique use these super light rackets they often tend to overdo the stroke and overstrain their shoulders/wrists to comoensate the loss in power.

String tension should be chosen low, 9kg/20lbs should be sufficient. If buy a racket without strings you could go and add a slightly thinner string than the usual Yonex BG3, like the Ning No5, Victor VBS 68 Power, or Ashaway Zymax 68 for a minimal increase in repulsion (and maybe a different color to brag about).

I do not know much about the current Yonex low to mid end rackets but you would mostly like to look at the Arcsaber/Duora/Astrox series (balanced to slightly hh).

If you have shops around selling Li Ning rackets, they have a great offering of rather flexible and balanced to slightly hh rackets in their current lineup (which also look - subjectively - miles better and could give your child something to once again brag about).

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Can't go wrong with an Astrox 7 and add a set of decent strings (NBG99 or BG80P). A great and easy to use racket.

badmintonpog1 and speCulatius like this.
  7. pughon

pughon Regular Member

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Spec wise
    4U.
    Flex-mid flex
    Balance around 280-295.
    String at 20-22lbs

Any brand or any model would serve him good.

9. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Thanks for all help.

I'll se what I can find in the local shops, otherwise I'll give him my old boron 2 from around 1991 to play with until we find something :)

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

tho idk about boron, but i think old racket are very heavy & stiff as steel. It could be 2U or even U.
    Tho i start my games with very old Yonex racket, but im quite hyper active kids & had many sport background (basketball, football) before that & also with some luck i manage to survive without any injury.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Agree with @Budi. Before you go down that road, simply get him any flexible carbon based racket in 4U that you can get in your local sports store. If you want to go cheap and safe, get him a Senston N80 from Amazon. Solid racket, espcially with a good set of strings.

12. khoai

khoai Regular Member

If money is not an issue, just buy him an Arcsaber 11: high quality, durable and beginner friendly. Don't buy junior rackets for a 9-year old.

13. pucko

pucko Regular Member

Isn't that to stiff to? As he is total new he can't generate any power, and have very hard to eaven hit the ball when it's low. If an Arc 11 is a good chose, I alread have some old phased out racets that might work to. (IE ArcSaber 7, Arc Saber 3 tour, Duora 55 for example)

s_mair likes this.
  14. Budi

Budi Regular Member

if we are talking a fresh beginner adult, maybe its good choice but we are talking about kids & not to mention a fresh new player, so no.
    Talking Arcsaber, one of my friend interest on Arc Tour 1000. If he get one, im definetly going for a test drive:D & i will update here for short review. Hopefully in near future:p.... I will put my magic word to him so he would buy it:rolleyes:

15. khoai

khoai Regular Member

In general, Arcsaber line is the most beginner friendly of all yonex rackets, fairly flexible, not too light or heavy head. AS7 is pretty ok too if you have it. Doura is a bit too head light for kids IMHO.