Recommendations for an intermediate singles player.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Bigbag, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Bigbag

Bigbag Regular Member

TLDR
    I think I should go for a 3u, stiff, slightly head heavy racket. Brand not too important. Under 90USD. Available in Vietnam.

Wait, I want to read the waffle...

Hi guys, I've been playing for about 3 years, 4 times a week, almost exclusively singles. I've also had weekly coaching session for the past 2 years. I'd say I'm a solid mid intermediate player.

2 years ago I bought my first "semi serious" racket, a flypower 3u, mid balanced, very flex racket. At the time I mostly just bought it for the color but it's been pretty good to me and it wasn't a bad choice for my level at the time.

However, it seems I've hit a power ceiling with it, where despite my improved technique I'm not quite getting the clear/ smash power I would like. Coach says I have a strong swing and therefore I'm losing power to the "very flex" shaft.

Last week I bought an Adidas Uberschall F2, 4u, slightly stiff, slightly head heavy. I used it for 2 sessions and went back to the flypower. It had a nice feel in the shop but on court I couldn't generate nearly as much power as with the old racket. I'm putting it down to it being a lot lighter than my flypower despite being slight head heavy.

Coach recommends an Astrox 88D but that's a lot of moolah to lay down on a racket that I can't test and that is completely different to what I'm used to.

I think progressing from my flypower I should perhaps go for something 3U, stiff and slightly head heavy. I'm also kinda interested in something 4u and very head heavy but perhaps 4u rackets just aren't for me after using the F2.

Budget is under 90USD. Brand isn't important but I'm a fan of Victor, perhaps a bit pricey though. I'm in Vietnam so that may affect availability.

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

This is a racket that gives real easy power.... how much time have you given it? Did you change the strings to your regular setup?

Can you try rackets from others and when you particularly like or dislike something let us know? Otherwise it would be even worse guessing than normally here with this information that seems almost contradicting....

... and where the price of a Adidas P8 compared to the AX88D where you are?

3. Bigbag

Bigbag Regular Member

@speCulatius

Thanks for your reply. Through 2 sessions I played about 10 singles matches. Not once did it come close to the power I get with my flypower. I'm using bg66 at 11kg on both. I actually measured both rackets using my food scales and there is almost a 10g difference between them both. Perhaps I do just need more time with it but I'm very doubtful.

I will try and get my hands on some friends rackets and my coaches and get back to you on that.

RRP of the Adidas P8 is pretty comparable to the 88D here, both around 130USD, however there are often some really good deals on the P8. One store has buy one get one free but they are out of stock currently.

After scouring the forums I'm quite keen on the Astrox 77 3U. Spec wise it seems like not a huge step away from my flypower.

4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

The AX77 came to mind, too. The P2 from adidas should be in between the F2 and the Flypower weight wise, but it's the head weight/swing weight that really makes a difference, not the overall weight.

The Babolat Satelite 8.5 Blast also came to mind and there are more options....

.... but I really am not sure what to really recommend without knowing a bit more about rackets you've liked or not liked. That's why I really suggest to keep trying rackets before deciding on something.

5. Bigbag

Bigbag Regular Member

Got the astrox 77 3u in the end. More or less clicked straight away. The power is definitely there but need to learn how to harness it consistently. A few shots were less powerful than expected and few shot were more powerful than expected in the first session. Wasn't expecting the considerable improvement in net play, I guess that's down to the stiffer frame or just higher quality in general compared to my old racket.