Does your stringer suck? Identifying a bad string job [Video]

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Jan 18, 2021.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

With badminton now cancelled for the past couple of weeks (along with stringing...), and basically being forced to stay at home, I tried to look at the bright side and finally found the time and motivation to do another video for my Youtube channel.

We have seen in the "Stringing Horror"-thread, that so many stringers out there are simply doing a really bad job, but get away with it since most players don't know how to find out. So I wanted to give the normal players -those who don't have any specific knowledge in stringing- how to spot a bad string job by looking at the right spots and checking the right things.

And here we go:

I hope you will enjoy it and maybe have a quick laugh here and there. The first person to name all referenced movies wins a virtual beer! Bonus point for naming the ski racer who gets hit in the nuts... (now I know that you will ALL be watching the video from A-Z only to find the scene...:)).

Thanks a lot to @speCulatius for intensive counseling and lots of valuable feedback!

And of course thanks to all the BCers who keep the stringing section of this community alive and entertaining.
    @kakinami, @kwun, @ucantseeme, @Alex82, @Super85, @thyrif, @Ch1k0, @Mark A, @emjay, @DuckFeet, @tjiew, @mokomima, @johnlowe88, @FeatherBlaster
    ...just to name a few.

#1 s_mair, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And now it would be cool if we could use this thread for players to enter their findings and questions regarding their own rackets and to get some further help to rate the quality of their stringer. :)

yenyesoh likes this.
  3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Awesome video with a ton of value. I can't wait to see the follow up videos! Yeah, I'm mentioning that here to put some pressure on you ;P

But seriously, videos like these will be of great value to answer many questions asked here and to other players around the world not on BC. Thanks a lot for all that. effort, the attention to detail and including one of the most famous scenes by Fauci!

yenyesoh and Sumanth99 like this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That one is entirely dedicated to you! :p

yenyesoh and speCulatius like this.
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Incredible job with the video. Very informative and well done!

6. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

yes watched with interest! one my racket was damaged at 12 o'clock, as in video, however it was restrung many times since then, and is ok.
    I also have once received racket with sinken string at the inside - either grommet was not replaced or too much ension added prior to knot, or both (see picture).
    Also from my personal mistakes, sometimes string is damaged in difficult places by awl, damaged but not snapped. So the job can be finished but it will be not as secure of course.

Attached Files:

7. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Great video! Agree 100% :)

kakinami likes this.
  8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

and let's not forget that there are several rackets which have a notorious issue with sinking holes and which sometimes just cannot be prevented.

You're poking around inside the shared holes with an awl to make space, correct? Actually, you do not need an awl for this at all:

But bottom line, your racket is permanently damaged and just isn't as stable as it was before. It's the same as if you take your car for an oil change and get it back with a damaged engine that only allows you to drive at 50 km/h. Not acceptable, plain and simple.
    And as a stringer, be very careful when you accept such damaged rackets. In case it finally does die right on your machine, guess who the customer is going to blame?

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

thyrif likes this.
  11. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Bad stringer! :mad:

Nice vid, yet again!

Did you forget to misweave? :p

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

oh pleeeease...

Unbenannt.JPG

the other example was just more obvious to see. :)

thyrif likes this.
  13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Don't watch the Andy Ellis "stringing" video, whatever you do - you might actually stop being alive.

s_mair, visor and speCulatius like this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

My researches led me into the darkest and most dangerous places...

But that one is more comedy than anything else. Just for reference:
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...-stringing-horrors.165842/page-5#post-2510264

Still my absolute favorite quote:
    "With Yonex, they always provide stringing services at the tournaments. (...) I think it's better to do it on your own. (...) So you can be sure there are no mistakes!"

#14 s_mair, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    speCulatius likes this.
  15. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I hadn't watched this before.. My Dog, my eyes..

s_mair likes this.
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You sweet innocent summer child... :D

thyrif likes this.
  17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

And now you can never unwatch it.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Is he the one who also creates a 6 knot job by patching a broken string?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

19. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I don't see what you guys are complaining about. If anything, he is not using enough pieces of string. The secret to a truly magnificent stringjob is to use individual pieces of string for each set of holes and use a bulky knot on the outside of the frame to keep it in place.

This way, not only do you prevent the string from pressing into the frame. You also make sure that tension doesn't shift between strings, which completely eliminates strings breaking due to mishits. This also means you can completely customize the tension. You want 18 lbs on the sweet spot and and 38 on the edges to get a nice even 28 lbs stringjob? No problem.

But that's not even the best part. If the player accidently breaks the string by cutting it, because let's be honest here, no matter what the player says, such a high quality stringjob would never break on its own, then all you need to do is restring the one that broke and leave the rest.

I give a lifetime guarantee on my stringjobs and so far the only complaints I've got is from players who think they know better, and want me to string like the other pro stringers. I try to explain to them that pro stringers aren't allowed to use this unbreakable system because the sponsors would never sell any strings anymore. Its a shame that the badminton illuminati is keeping these secrets, just to keep their hold on the stringing business.

kakinami, Dekkert, stradrider and 2 others like this.
  20. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

You don't know how true this is!!! I remember seeing, just when I started stringing a racket that had the knots on every second string or something like that. Basically the racket had as many knots as you can get. The amazing thing that it seems to be original from like 40 years ago, I think one of the first carbon ones? (or was it as steel one??? at least looked like a better quality from the era) It was in fact a very neatly done job.... Has anyone seen something like that? Wish I had a picture of it...

Restringing this racket was surely supposed to be the easiest job ever, just replace one segment and you are good to go :D, at least I think that this is why they did it? I wonder if that is where the idea just to repair one broken string comes from, that some older players trying to convince us (at least I had it a few times...)?