Pain at bottom of big toe?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Syazwan Sufri, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Syazwan Sufri

Syazwan Sufri New Member

Hi guys I’ve been using the aerus 3 for a while now and I always wear relatively thicker socks.

After most sessions (2ish hours) the bottom of my big toe is always red and sore. Anyone else suffered from this? Should I add insole or is there any sock recommendation?

Thanks

2. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

Hi, I got a similar problem from high arc feet and tried various insoles but none of them really helped.
    Now I happily use WrightSocks + Sidas toe caps + plantar protectors.
    They have to be replaced every few months but no pain on the feet anymore.

I read somewhere that thicker socks often have high friction on the inside, which makes the problem worse instead of better.

Syazwan Sufri likes this.
  3. Syazwan Sufri

Syazwan Sufri New Member

Wow you’re a life saver! I was ready to order some expensive insoles hoping it could solve my toe problem. Your solution makes more sense. Thanks a lot!

4. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

How is your foot now?

I had an injury in a similar region at the very end of Nov / start of Dec, too. [Bottom of big toe].

My podiatrist reckons it was overloading of the sesamoid bone.

Thorlos+Superfeet insoles are good to protect [and prevent future injures], but rest is what will heal your injuries.

Thick socks don't always have great cushioning, especially if they are old. Also, Aerus 3's are death traps for your feet..lot of forces and not much support or cushioning at all - they are all about short term performance.

5. Syazwan Sufri

Syazwan Sufri New Member

I’ve used like a jelly-like toe cover on my right toe and that seems to alleviate some pain after the games.

Can’t say right now since we can’t be on court due to the pandemic :(

Thanks for your suggestion. Anything helps right now, and I did consider it to be my shoes when the pain starts to be apparent. What other shoes would u recommend?

6. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

Honestly, I would just recommend the insoles and socks. The support in the shoe is less important than the overall support you get from your shoe+insole+sock combo.

Superfeet orange and thorlos [tennis version preferably - has more support in areas that get a lot of forces when footwork is involved] are what i can genuinely say have changed the game for me. I haven't worn dozens and dozens of each of the latest Yonex shoes. I loved the Yonex 65 ZM2s, so bought two of those and will just amp up the support with the insole / socks. They have great performance, but aren't quite as threadbare as aerus's, so combining that with aftermarket support, they are now well more supportive than any badminton shoe [wearing normal socks and the factory insert].

You remove the factory insole [that is often 1mm thick], but for a more supportive shoe it might be slightly less awful, but if you are removing it you may as well just get a reasonable performance shoe. The power cushion plates etc are what will help add protection to your insole/sock combo, so if you are going yonex, make sure you get a model with multiple plates.

Syazwan Sufri likes this.
  7. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

Ultrasound revealed my injury to be fat pad trophy [plantar] of the right foot.

The fat pads do not regenerate, so my bones, even whilst walking, are not getting adequately cushioned due to the lack of shock absorbing fat [fat acts as a tyre]. I.e. Walking is painful, and will be forever without treatment - I'm close to 'walking on bones.'

Conservative treatment [insoles, offloading, highly cushioned socks and finally orthotics] are no longer adequate to supplement the fat pads, even for activities such as walking, so replacement of the fat pads with some procedure is next on the list. They can take fat from your waist and chuck it where it's now missing, as a temporary [1-2 year] fix, perhaps with a PRP injection too.

Badminton is serious business - I'm only 26, 73-75kg, 5 feet 10. This injury typically occurs in older people (60+), obese people, diabetic people and people who do intense workloads [i.e. marathon runners], and as pointed out, the fat pads never naturally regenerate so the situation never improves by itself.

8. Syazwan Sufri

Syazwan Sufri New Member

Ouch! That sounds like real serious business. Wishing you a speedy recovery so u can enjoy the sport once more. I’ll be more cautious as well. Thanks for your knowledge on this.

9. Basquests

Basquests Regular Member

Yes, the point of the message was to convey that there's real dangers to this sport, there are so many types of injuries and some are very long lasting :(. Thanks and definitely look after yourself as you said!

My plan is hopefully to get a procedure to recover, then get back into table tennis. It's too much risk to play badminton for a long while (6+ months), and whilst I really enjoy it and play it to a very good level, my table tennis is more important to me. Plus, I've always found it a lot easier to get back into badminton, so I'm not worried about falling behind my playing group. If they improve too much, that'll just put more pressure on me to learn quickly :).

Furthermore TT is obviously lower impact to the delicate / injured area - even though my badminton style does not involve jump smashing. I'd rather be able to play one, rather than play both and likely risk playing neither.

10. Syazwan Sufri

Syazwan Sufri New Member

Best of luck to you sir. I’m glad badminton isn’t the only sport you’re passionate in. Hopefully the procedure will go all as planned. Cheers and thank you for sharing your experience!

Scott Kam likes this.