European Mixed Team Championships 2021

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by Martynas, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Who can stop the hot favorite and title holder Denmark? They bring A squad to Vantaa, Finland.
    upload_2021-2-16_17-53-2.png

Simeon likes this.
  3. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

yea it is really obvious who will win, but it should be close fight for other places and team events are very awesome always

#3 Martynas, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Simeon likes this.
  4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Should be:

1. Denmark
    2. France
    3/4 Germany
    3/4 Netherlands

5. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

not so sure - Russia has strong md/mix pairs and good ws as well, so they could be even 2nd

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think Russia always has a chance to get a medal especially as a lot of teams are still in a "transition" period.

FWIW I have it as the following (assuming best player plays each one)

MS:

Netherlands > France > Russia > Germany

WS:

Russia/Germany > France > Netherlands

MD:

Russia > Germany > France > Netherlands

WD:

Netherlands > France > Germany > Russia (I think this and XD you could put in any order and you couldn't be wrong)

XD:

France > Netherlands > Russia > Germany

Still think that France have enough in MS, and XD and if they play Giquel and Labar together for MD, they have a silver in the bag.

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Li YVonne stops Mia in straight games. I never expected it.
    What a victory for Li !

8. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

we could have major upset, if denmark girls do not win it will be over.... and why germany decided to put second mix pair? did they think that they do not have any chance against Denmark?

Simeon and LenaicM like this.
  9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

RUS should top Group 2 as they win twice against ENG & more balanced team FRA.

upload_2021-2-18_13-8-21.png

10. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

I think Russia could give really hard time to Denmark in the final, yes ws/ms in favor of Denmark but even in ws anything can happen. and other categories especially MD and MIX are and in favor of Russia, so yet again WD will be decider

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

The schedule for semifinals day is France vs Russia and Denmark vs Germany. Is this right? I thought number 1 from one group plays number 2 of the other. This feels wrong as these teams just faced each other in the groups.

I also think Russia could give Denmark a hard time in the final. MS is the only clear point for Denmark. WS I think Kosetskaya will need to win to give Russia a chance. But she will need to play to her level, which she could not do against Qi Xuefei.

#11 vixter, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

To prevent teams throwing games to play perceived "easier" opposition in the SF.

So far I think it is fair to say there has been some wild results. No one appears to be at their very best except Viktor. The hall is really slow and this seems to be causing some chaos for the players.

Simeon likes this.
  13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Correct, fresh draw for knock out phase was conducted last night so there's possibility to see repeated matches.
    upload_2021-2-19_13-5-55.png

14. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Think if the second from group B meets the first from group A. Why would any team want to throw?

15. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Let's say that Denmark lost a match and got second because they failed to bring their A game in one match.
    If the first place on the other group is not decided yet you might want to get second in order to dodge Denmark.

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Yeah, just because a team came 2nd doesn’t mean they’re worse than the team that came 1st. For further reading, just google “badminton at the 2012 Olympic Games”...

Bardie likes this.
  17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Another tough battle for Denmark tonight for them to win 3-2. I think this is the most that Denmark have been stretched in a EMTC for a while.

Their final opponents France are very much a team on the up. There’s no pressure on them tomorrow in the final.

(Predictions made before order of play scheduled)

Denmark

XD: Giquel/Delrue need to win this one over Christiansen/Boje to give France any hope of winning the tie. Both pairs form recently points to this being the likely outcome but the experience of Christiansen cannot be ruled out. Will give the youngsters the benefit here.

DEN 0-1 France

MS: Denmark have no choice but to play Viktor here. Anders hasn’t been at his best and with Denmark being poor all week, Viktor has been the only guarantee. The Popov brothers have skills but it’s very much for the future still. Can’t see either of them being able to upset Viktor especially given the hall conditions.

DEN 1-1 France

WS: An area where you would expect Denmark to pick up the points here. Mia played a better game against Yvonne Li today and should have enough for Qi. Qi herself has had a good campaign so might be closer than a lot of people think.

DEN 2-1 FRA

MD: Here is where it gets interesting. Denmark have so far been really poor in the MD Category this week. Kim/Anders have not looked good since tournaments resumed after Covid and I think badminton Denmark know it given the different scratch pairings they have tried over the course of the tournament. In all honestly, I think Mads Kolding will play with Anders again even if it’s not a established pairing. France need to play Giquel and Labar together here to stand a chance of winning. I really think this is too close to call and the Danish confidence in MD right now is probably at a 10 year low when you consider the great pairs that have been around in that period. Let’s be bold here...

DEN 2-2 FRA

WD: And for so many times this week for Denmark (well twice in succession), it all comes down to WD. Again, Denmark are missing Sara Thygsen which has turned out to be more of a loss than first anticipated. Still, fortunately for them this is probably France’s weakest area right now and I cannot see a French upset here at least in terms of skill. What could be considered is that WD finished latest this evening later than midnight local time whereas France finished before 6pm local time. Fatigue could have a factor if France can start strong and claim the first game. I’ll play it safe and call a Danish win though.

DEN 3-2 FRA

Woesi likes this.
  18. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Correct !
    Or google Thomas Cup 2008. There was a team that deliberately lost in the group stage - and admitted it! - to have a better view in the knockout stage. BWF / BE knew about the practices in the group stages well before the Olympic Games in London and have not changed anything for a long time. Only when badminton threatened to lose its status as a sport for the Olympics after 2012 changes slowly begin. With this new draw you can at least prevent that someone can "choose" the opponent in the semifinals, but it still does not prevent me from "choosing" an opponent I don't want to play against.

19. Zaphod

Zaphod Regular Member

Christo getting to fired up after he won 2 or tree point then lose the serve. Too bad.
    Axelsen with much more experience doesn't make those mistakes and stay calm.

This point at 10-10 on second games show it well.

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

18th EMTC title for Denmark, this Europe badminton powerhouse trounced the rising squad French Team, 3-0.
    [​IMG]

Christo Popov did his best in opening game to stem Viktor Axelsen hard smashes but sadly lop sided match in second game as the young sensation seems lost focus and committed many uncharacteristic errors after interval break. Overall, it's uphill task for 18 years old 2019 WJC silver medalist to overcome the in-form World number two. Qi Xuefei is lack of effective attacking shots instead of being dictated by Mia Blichfeldt, a moment in critical stages of second game saw Qi chance slipped to force rubber games, 19-18 to 19-21.

The final order of play really contributing DEN huge advantage to lift the trophy as FRA has strongest link in mixed doubles.

upload_2021-2-21_13-26-0.png