I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

What do the videos you have seen tell you about where the racket should face, and where it should be? (you can include timeframes, still images).

Re your racket head dropping, see post #109, (Page 6 of the thread)., where we managed to get Cheung to provide a timeframe and a diagram of what he meant! That is very useful. (put aside some technicalities re that diagram that have been mentioned, and not to you, about forearm and racket shaft).

As to how to get there(that diagram), you could think about some of the anatomical changes you could make to get the racket shaft or the forearm more upright, then ask if they are correct.. You could think about, what happens when you raise the elbow, does the elbow also come out a bit, and does that change the orientation of the forearm. Does externally rotating the upper arm make a difference. You could try some of those anatomical changes to get a better understanding of how they affect where the racket is, and see how it looks You could even do a video saying "is the racket preparation like this? Is it like this.." and see what is advised. And hopefully people can point to timeframes showing you exactly what they are talking about.

#201 ralphz, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I guess that something else is changeing, too.

Alright, I just watched a few strokes from the second video from Jan 8, it looks like your strings are facing outward, not completely, but mostly, so I'm not sure I understood that correctly.

And that's one of the huge advantages of in person coaching. It gives the coach to see what is helping the player and what is not.

Just keep the racket head up while pulling the elbow back. quite easy to do.... just also easy to forget on court again. On the other hand, why let it drop? You just lose time and consistency.

Ideally, far enough up that the forward movement of your elbow causes you forearm to supinate passively.

In your video, you hold the racket head (not steadily, so it's hard to say) in front of your head, so you can see it. That's often taught, because it makes things easier. The player sees the head, so he knows it's where it's supposed to be. This position ensures that the elbow is bent < 90° and the elbow is probably away from the body - and that's two very important points. It also means you need to actively pull the racket back when starting the stroke. With a more compact stroke you want that to be passive, but for that to work, the racket head must be (roughly) above your head, in line (well, plane) with your shoulders, elbow, wrist, ... This means you cannot see it anymore which makes it more difficult and more prone to error.

For now, get your pronation figured out and use whatever is helpful for you! Also try to prevent the racket's head from dropping. Maybe it also helps to get the muscles used to the pronation/supination by doing the "windshield wiper" (both arms) with your upper arm close to your body and your elbow at a 90° angle. Make sure to really turn more than 180° pronating/supinating.

3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    So I was jetlagged still and decided to record my swing now, given that I have some more experience and more feedback from in person coach and you lovely internet strangers :)

This was recorded a few minutes ago and I'm super jetlagged so excuse my hair lol....

THis is in 240 FPS so feel free to slow down as much has you'd like. I tried to really pay attention to where my racket head is, as well as making sure I'm pronating properly, and not just throwing the elbow forward, but also up.

4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
  5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Sorry haven't updated in a while - I'm actually competing in my first ever badminton tournament in Atlanta!

Me and my partner signed up for both C level and amateur level MD because am not sure where I would fit...

Our first match (linked below) was 14-21 and 16-21. Honestly though, they weren't overwhelming and I think with some more experience and just strategy tweaks we could've beaten them.

At time of writing we still got some matches, and we actually will play them again the losers/consolation bracket so who knows? Maybe we redeem ourselves.

speCulatius likes this.
  6. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
  7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    So I just got back from my second tournament in ATL. TLDR, we got matched up against a team that was way outside of our class and it shows.

I posted about it on Reddit in the /r/badminton subreddit so I won't spend time restating the information I did there but will instead just link it below:

My second tournament - how'd I do? : badminton (reddit.com)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Experience counts.

Isn’t there still a lot of covid in the US?

9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Indeed it does and I made a lotta friends that time!

ANd yeah it is, but if we all pretend it's not a thing it'll go away right?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So all gyms are still open in your area? Fascinating

11. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    At my campus the rec center/fitness center requires masks when traveling throughout the facility but can remove when actively exercising. That is the policy it seems for most other gyms or badminton halls I've been to.

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I live in Buffalo New York and our positivity rate is 2 percent.....

13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So I watched all of your games and there had been a good amount of improvement.
    You still have some easily fixed low hanging fruit things that would help you a lot
    1.) I see your are standing close to the line on serves, that’s good , but you are still playing poor shots. You need to try not to hit up on your return of serve.

2.) make a conscience effort to split step on everyone shot form your opponent

14. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

masks are mandated by law in nyc. That’s not to say the police will fine you if you don’t, but you wouldn't be allowed in a gym without a mask. Well that’s the law anyways. I believe 25% capacity as well. Is it actually enforced by gyms? From what I’ve seen, yes. Maybe there is some gyms that do not enforce, but I won’t name names... sorry for hijacking thread hehe

15. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I've been working with some A level players I met at tournaments and some super generous coaches who have been willing to sit down with me and give me pointers online and my latest endeavor right now is back to the basics - working on my contact point!

If you've watched any of my footage in the past you'll see that this is a huge improvement:
    Badminton Smash and Clear Slow Mo 240 FPS Revised Contact Point - YouTube

It still needs work and needs to be reproduced under pressure in a game but considering I only started doing this today - it feels like a huge jump in my shot quality haha.

Super excited to reintroduce footwork and get this better contact point ingrained into me :)

16. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I'm so envious you are able to play. It's been 5 month that we can't play in my area :(
    Cool slow motion ! The form looks good !

17. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I'd be interested to see that from the front or behind... I suspect something that I cannot see from this angle (it's hard to see in any video but maybe this frame rate is high enough).

18. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Sure! I can do that this week and post it here.

speCulatius likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Quite nice from this angle

speCulatius likes this.
  20. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Was a pic supposed to be here? I'm not understanding.