Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal hasn't prepared much since recovering from Covid-19. While there is a limit of how much speed she can improve, expect a better performance in a few months.

2. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Saina's biopic going to be released on 26th March.
    From the teaser it seems the movie would end with her win in CWG 2018. She was also playing a Spanish player "Martinez" in one of the stills. Would be interesting to see how they go about this.
    Link for the teaser:

Sumanth99 likes this.
  3. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Goosebumps imagining Padukone playing PV.

rajat_remar likes this.
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Happy Birthday Saina Nehwal: Girl who broke the glass ceiling in Indian sports

In 2010, Saina was at the top of her career by winning 5 international tournaments as well as the India Open Grand Prix Gold, Indonesia Open Super Series, Singapore Open Super Series, and the Hong Kong Open Super Series in 2010. Also, she won a Gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games which were held in India.

By Newsd
    Published on :Tue 16th March 2021, 07:22 PM

[​IMG]
    Saina Nehwal is undoubtedly one of the best sports players to come out of India. Indian professional badminton singles player who is celebrating her 31st birthday on March 17, 2021, has been an inspiration for millions for years.

Saina Nehwal is a former world no. 1, who has won over 24 international titles, including eleven Superseries titles and a precious bronze medal in the Olympics.

Saina Nehwal was born on 17 March 1990 in Hisar, Haryana to Harvir Singh Nehwal and Usha Rani Nehwal.

Saina took up badminton at the age of eight. Her mother, Usha Rani, was a state-level badminton player in Haryana. Nehwal took up badminton to fulfill her mother’s dream of becoming a national-level badminton player, while her sister played volleyball. Her father, who was among the top players in the university circuit, was supportive of Nehwal’s passion for Badminton. Nehwal also has a brown belt in karate.

[​IMG]

Saina Nehwal Badminton Career
    She became the first player to win the India Chapter of the Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament twice. At the age of 16, she became the first Indian woman and the youngest Asian player to win a 4-star tournament, the Philippines Open.

In 2010, Saina was at the top of her career by winning 5 international tournaments as well as the India Open Grand Prix Gold, Indonesia Open Super Series, Singapore Open Super Series, and the Hong Kong Open Super Series in 2010. Also, she won a Gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games which were held in India.

In 2012 she made back-to-back victories in the Swiss Open, Thailand Open, Indonesia Open, Denmark Open, and the French Badminton Open. In the 2012 London Olympics, she won the Bronze medal and became the first Badminton player to win a medal for India in Olympics.

[​IMG]
    Saina Nehwal after winning the Bronze medal at 2012 London Olympics
    Saina Nehwal personal life and achievements
    Saina is married to fellow badminton player Parupalli Kashyap in a private ceremony on 14 December 2018.

[​IMG]
    Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap
    Saina Nehwal received the Government of India’s Arjuna Award for Badminton in 2009, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna for Badminton in 2010, Padma Shri in 2010, and the Padma Bhushan – India’s third highest civilian award in 2016 for her outstanding performance in the sport.

Recently the trailer of the movie ‘Saina’ starring Parineeti Chopra as the ace badminton player Saina Nehwal was released. The film is based on Saina’s personal life and depicts her struggle on the silver screen. The film is all set to hit the theatres on March 26.

#1284 Loh, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    rajat_remar and Cheung like this.
  5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

SAINA - OFFICIAL TRAILER

Loh and Cheung like this.
  6. rajat_remar

Saw the movie. Disappointed with how they showed the actual matches in the movie which were comical at times, but at least player costumes were accurate ( down to what Julia Wong was wearing in Phillinenes Open 2006).

Interestingly a somewhat accurate depiction of Carolina Marin shown as Carla Martinez who in the movie "screams like a wild cat to disturb opponents rhythm."

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I think the lead actress who played Saina in the movie did not give justice to the character. She just tried to replicate the mannerisms but not on court movements and style. Deepika would have given much more powerful performance instead of this actress.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Deepika being Prakash Padukone's daughter and also having trained player would have done a great job, she is also way better actress but her personality wont resemble Saina, Deepika would be perfect fit if they ever do a Sindhu bio pic. Also I really hope some south director like Rajamouli direct the movie, bollywood can only produce an inferior product.

9. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

As Olympics is about to get over and Indian fans have been banking on javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra to break deadlock on nation's quest for Athletics medal especially after that near miss on bronze medal by WR200 Aditi Ashok. This scenario makes me reminisce something about Saina.

2010 CWG final bw Saina and Mew Choong of Malaysia. That was the last day of CWG and last India match in finals. England was in 2nd position. India was in 3rd position. England had one gold more than India and had finished their campaign. India had more silvers so if India wins gold they'll leapfrog England and come to 2nd. Never have we overtaken England in CWG. Now you could argue that England didn't send their top players in different sports, that's a different matter. Coming ahead of England has never been done before by India.

Saina lost first game 19-21. She won second game 23-21 (I think she was 1 match point down). Imagine the nerves and heartbeat of thousands of Indian fans in Siri Fort Stadium who knew Saina win would make us overtake England (btw Saina didn't know this scenario before the finals. She got to know after she won it). She clinched the decider 21-13 and there it was. Sense of elation throughout the country.

Now that we have moved forward many miles and for some of us, CWG might be a small tournament. But looking back, this win by Saina, gold by Jwala/Ashwini in final against top Singapore pair in same Games, Kashyap win against Derek Wong in 2014 Glasgow Final would always be there in India badminton history books. These wins were necessary to bring revolution in Indian badminton.

I just wish Neeraj wins a medal today to bring athletics revolution too just like what Saina did in Badminton for India.

rajat_remar likes this.
  10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Chopra won gold. Congratulations.

Loh, Airos, Sumanth99 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Baddie lover

Thanks nokh88. Its a big big thing here. We have 8 OG golds in hockey, last one being in 1980. In 2008, we won our first individual gold medal courtesy Abhinav Bindra performance in shooting. This time 2021, this is our 2nd individual gold. It's a big thing for our country.

Sumanth99 and nokh88 like this.
  12. Baddie lover

I feel it's fine with whatever she said. But she can do it by playing various Tour events. She lost today's first game and then retired, what was the reason given by her ? All the pressure shifted to young players who fortunately delivered. If she was not in optimal condition, better give the spot to a youngster then. So that means she feels entitled of that no1 spot.

Some of the comments of Saina from the above link :

"When I am earning so much with the game, why should I give it up like that? What will I do even after retiring? I know one will have family and kids at this age but for me why can’t we have it at 36 or 37?” questioned the London Olympics bronze medallist in an interview with Badminton Europe.

“I feel like why not continuing the sport when I am getting so much fame and money with it. A former world No.1, Saina did not have much success in the last two years but is raring to go and most importantly enjoy the game.

“Badminton is what I enjoy and I think I should continue with it till I enjoy the game. Till I am happy with the sport I will continue with it. When I will feel that I can’t control the injuries and my body is not good enough to continue, I will stop” she said.

The Hyderabad star admitted that she is feeling much better now compared to what she was feeling at 23. “The way I am training myself and looking after my body, I think I feel much easier now than when I was 23. At 23, the training which I used to get, I often used to get back pains with a lot of leg irritations,” added the 31-year-old.

“I haven’t overcome this Olympics, with as many as seven tournaments got cancelled due to COVID. I just needed one tournament, one quarterfinal (to be in Tokyo),” she said. “I don’t know what will happen in 2024, but what I can say is that I feel good and I would like to try for that and why not if everything falls in place.”

Baddyforall likes this.
  13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I don't know.
    Maybe SN has to play 1st single so that India can score points from the other 2 singles. If SN doesn't play, these 2 singles have to move up one level each and they may not win their matches and lose the overall tie.

#1294 nokh88, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Cheung, Sumanth99 and Baddie lover like this.
  14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Very quiet on cw games issue. I think she shd be given a chance since she did well in Sg open.

Messy huh?

15. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Didn’t register for anything till September. Retirement incoming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hard to say.

Depends how much publicity/income she can generate from still playing,

There are quite a few other Indian women's singles players very close to her in world rankings.

17. Baddie lover

Lately, my Instagram is feeding me many prime Saina Nehwal videos. Watching it makes me feel nostalgic. Truly, she was a machine. Very physical player and tenacious. I miss her prime days. I feel, retirement is going to come soon. Maybe she’ll say it after 2024 OG or in India Open 2024.

rajat_remar likes this.
  18. Baddie lover

rajat_remar likes this.
  19. rajat_remar

Prime Saina was very consistent and reliable, seldom losing to players outside top 15.
    I read her interview lately where she noted that the newer crop of Indian WS are not attacking enough, which I feel is very evident and the reason why no one is breaking out.
    Ashmita Chaliha is somewhat okay but makes a lot of unforced errors

80plus, nilesh123 and Baddie lover like this.