Defending Smash With Forehand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Budi, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

So im just bored, watching youtube, & found interesting thing on video i watch. Its about 15 insane defense from Ginting.

In the video many times Ginting moving half step to his left to take a hard smash with forehand. I realize its just 15 moment of crazy Ginting defense & he is very likely doing more defense stance in his whole badminton life. It could also just a coincidence that the video owner pick 15 moment with those uncommon defense action. But regardless it still tickle my curiosity.

So why would Ginting move to the left & getting the smash with forehand? By doing so, isnt it would create an empty spot on the right area which quite risky? Or Ginting kinda read his opponent act & he read that the smash would aimed at the middle, but even if he can read it why choose forehand & not the regular backhand?

2. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Because it’s awkward to receive a body smash if you’re not ready for it. Your grip is forehand anyways, and when it comes at you it’s a reactionary movement to move to the left to create space between you and the shuttle.

Cheung likes this.