Good Shoes after ankle twist

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by BalajiSethuraman, Nov 24, 2019.

1. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Hello All,

Recommendation for a good pair of badminton shoes is required. I am currently using yonex SHB 55 which is way better than other shoes in terms of grip and cushions. However 3 weeks back I twisted my right ankle in a quick half diagonal footwork, I quickly realised the ankle twist and fell down to avoid major injury finally leave it a grade 1 ligament issue.. after x rays and other treatment and good 20 days rest I am back to play. Doc recommended the figure of 8 ankle strap to be worn during my recovery times and it helped a lot.

I now started playing again, there is very very little to no pain in my ankle unless I try to twist my ankle in the same direction it got twisted that time. To gain my confidence I still use the figure of 8 ankle straps before wearing my shoes. It helps a lot

Now I need a good pair of shoes with great ankle support. my shoe size is 7 so there is plenty available but I need good shoes with great ankle support.

My current yonex shoes are great no doubt abt it but after playing there is a knee pain while climbing up and down the stairs the very next day after I wake up. But it goes away after a day ( I am 40 so perhaps age issue I reckon ). I play 4 days a week

Experts help required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Victor P9300, this is basically what I came to finally after seeing @ucantseeme thread about new shoes

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ucantseeme and Sumanth99 like this.
  3. BalajiSethuraman

Then yonex aerus and lining ranger shoes are hyped??

Good badminton is investing best in shoes for long term rather than rackets so just wanted the right pair of shoes for my ankle

4. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Aerus is overhyped, and going through the shoe threads, Li Ning has some slippery outsole issue after some games

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

5. wjsutanto

wjsutanto Regular Member

Professional Employee
  6. BalajiSethuraman

After going through the thread I am now buried under 9200 but the durability is the issue and 9300 colour is yucky.. I see people are raving on victor 9200 and 9300..

Any suggestion on mizuno wave claw? Or any other mizuno with good grip, inner/outer sole plus best ankle support??

7. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

I had a really bad ankle sprain a year ago and pretty much had to throw my Aerus 2s away. They were extremely light weight and good for speed but definitely not a "support" type shoe.

I switched to Victor P9210(blue w/ green highlights) as it is meant to support that heal ball and ankle. I will never go back. Insanely supportive and amazing. I would say the only downside is that they aren't quiet as breathable as my Aerus 2s. But that's minor. All of our feet sweat anyways.

Cheung and wjsutanto like this.
  8. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Recently quite few people say Asics shoes are also good for badminton.

Any guys can share are Asics rocket gel and their latest model Court Control FF as good as yonex high end model SHB 65 series and Victor high end models in terms of cushioning and support ?

9. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I recommend victor shoes. In my experience they have the best traction and better suited for the average gym floors which sometimes doesn't have the best wax surfaces

Yonex shoes are best suited for court mats or very well maintained gym floors, because their shoes have a slight slipperiness to them that works best on these grippy floors. On average gyms, they tend to be too slippery when compared to Victors. However, Victor shoes sometimes can feel too grippy on good court mats.

Avoid basketball or volleyball shoes, they are either too high or lack lateral support, which are bad for ankles. Generic court shoes can be decent, but it's a case by case.

boby, Ferrerkiko and Cheung like this.
  10. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Bro ChocoChipWaffle: How About Li ning high end model, Apacs pro 771-773 , and Asics Asics rocket gel and their latest model Court Control FF

11. ChocoChipWaffle

Asics are good, never tried li ning but supposedly they are slippery.

Ferrerkiko likes this.
  12. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    I just bought Li ning Dual Cloud III , their lower end model price at about $110 , less discount at $80. Bought 3 weeks ago.

Just used 2 times for training, i find that is a bit heavy , not as good and light like Mizuno wave fang , cost about $130 , after discount.

So far i find the best is Li Ning high end model which cost about $180 after discount , last me 1.5 years

Cheung likes this.
  13. mueldavid

mueldavid New Member

Hey man, just try Lining Cloud Ace 6, 7 or the newest 8 that has good (and also very supporting) midsole like its name “cloud”. I’ve tried it and feel very comfortable.

14. BalajiSethuraman

Have heard horror stories on lining shoes. Infact u can search the this forum as well. When it comes to badminton shoes after ankle injuries it’s either yonex or victor.

I have read people also tried mizuno but not more than a thread or so!!

15. BalajiSethuraman

Went with 65z2 as I don’t want to take risk. It’s comfortable now..

16. ChocoChipWaffle

It's tough to find someone who is an expert on shoe reviews. With rackets, people buy multiples at a time, they're quickly replaced due to late amounts of breakages, and we can also try other people's rackets. With shoes, people usually just buy 1, and cannot try other people's shoes, so our experience with shoes are much more limited when compared to rackets. There's only so many shoes on the current market we can say we've tried as individuals

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The first thing to do is to check what movement you were doing that caused the ankle sprain and improve the footwork. Correct the footwork and also do some footwork agility exercises.

s_mair and mueldavid like this.
  18. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Hi bros :

I injured my left ankle after wearing this Li ning Shoe.

I did do warm up before and after training , i still injured.

Any suggestion for a better badminton shoe that give better support , cushion and protect the ankle than this shoe.

Thinking of trying out Asics FF control, any feel back .. bros

Li-Ning RANGER TD AYTM081-4.
    https://360badminton.com/player-shoes/li-yu-chen-badminton-shoes/

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I bought Victor P9200 II. The same shoe that Tai Tzu Ying uses. I have weak ankles from previous sprains.

The shoe is good and definitely recommend trying out. It’s not the lightest shoe but it provides some stiffness and stability that makes me confident in wearing the shoe on court.

I don’t have confidence to use the lighter shoes.

20. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

I like the design of this shoe. I wondering if a wide feet can also fit in this shoe.