A Badminton Video Game

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Slyy, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Hello !
    no new version yet available but just new video and photo to see the work in progress to improve the game and its gameplay !

https://royexp.itch.io/superbad

#21 Slyy, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

In recent months I have worked more on the depth of the game (still in Windows PC version):
    - create a menu system with different modes (training, match, tournament)
    - have the possibility to personalize your match player (country, flag, name, opponent)
    - add other move animations such as the drive or the short service

The final version should allow you to use three keys in addition to the arrows to make the different moves.
    The trade-off would be: one for drop, one for clear and one for quick hits such as drive and smash

Game Link : https://royexp.itch.io/superbad (still old version 0.03 - next 0.04 soon)

To bring more visibility a facebook page has been created.
    Follow all the developments on this page :

https://www.facebook.com/Badminton-Revolution-102482001402736/

I hope that this Facebook link will above all facilitate exchanges.
    Do not hesitate to leave me your impressions, your questions, your wishes, etc ...
    The fact that many people download the demos is encouraging but very few leave their impression.
    These returns are very important because they allow me to adjust or add more elements.

3. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Thank you both!
    This game is still in preparation, and its environment has changed a lot since then.
    It is planned for an android mobile version (sorry LenaicM, not IOS for the moment)
    I hope to be able to offer it during March/April 2021 on Itch.io and/or Google Play.

#23 Slyy, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  4. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

That's it!!!

A first completed version is finally available with a low price and as well as a playable demo free.

https://royexp.itch.io/superbad

The game is in aerial view with controls like those found in an arcade game: a joystick and three buttons.
    The game is, for the moment, 'playable on Android support (phone and tablets)' with :
    - 6 player skills that you can improve through exercises and matches (Drop, Clear, Serve, Speed, Drive-Smash and Endurance)
    - 16 training exercises to learn the basic moves and footwork of your player.
    - 16 matches against opponents of different levels to progress in the game
    - 16 tournaments around the world to become even stronger

In the beginning, you will have to follow long training sessions. You will find your player slow with rather light strokes but this is necessary to learn how to control your player. Then you will be able to start matches against stronger and stronger opponents as challenges arise. And finally, once you have acquired enough skills, you will be able to participate in tournaments.

Regular updates will be added to the game. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any comments, bugs or improvements, I would appreciate it.

I hope that this version (the fifth) will be the starting point of an adventure where we will be able to make this game even more enjoyable to play while taking into account your comments/ideas.

5. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

6. Avian Rodrigues

Avian Rodrigues Regular Member

Hey there - Can you build a Badminton VR game with feet motion sensors and an electronic racquet to go with it - The game should have a great sense of real court space, shuttle contact timing, and placement - It would have to be played in an open space and can be a great way to work out, especially if the racquet technology makes it feel like the real deal when hitting a shuttle

7. Avian Rodrigues

If this kind of VR can ever be possible, it should recognize good technique and skill level and be able to support all shot executions, feelings and motions of pro badminton

8. Avian Rodrigues

Do you think Badminton VR studios around the world would be great? I think if they have super quality humanly graphics (like real-time video with the real sight of opponent), with a complete mimic to real badminton (court, electronic racquet with shuttle feel and control), it can be a worthwhile venture if it actually helps with professional play - then maybe a new kind of masterclass can be possible with badminton or playing a pro for a small fee would be a dream come true.

9. Slyy

Slyy Regular Member

Hello,

Sorry but I'm not able to make a game in VR, it's quite complex.
    The concept already exists: it's the game "Badminton King VR" I think.
    But after a few hours you start to get a headache from playing.

After that, it's true that capturing different animations of movements of shots etc. in the manner of Electronic Arts games such as FIFA 21 or NBA 2K21 can make the game even more realistic. I'm not equipped with this material but I'm still interested if someone else had already done this type of capture. Then, the gameplay would have to be reviewed with an almost 2.5D view.

Have you ever tried my game?

10. Avian Rodrigues

Yes it's super cool and awesome, thanks for the feedback lol, just thinking of where the badminton video game can go and if you know anything about it...maybe it would be too expensive though and need to be in a highly advanced studio to get it right (with a half badminton court) and probably just be for masterclass and those who can afford it ...nevertheless, I think with the right affordable technology and open space for real mimic VR play, many would be able to access it.

11. Avian Rodrigues

Badminton would need Vr glasses lol or a light, close fitted and comfortable, VR helmet

12. Avian Rodrigues

What if badminton VR could be real badminton, but just in a VR studio, meaning real racquet and shuttle play, however, there must be some kind of technology on the other court (i'm playing on half court, so my opponent's side must have this technology) to provide shuttle placement and distance response from my real live opponent who's seeing me on his VR glasses. I'm thinking a bunch of small shuttle launchers at almost every place on the court where my opponent can replay to my shot... this may be easy, as once I don't return it, I lost the point. To have a real live Lee-Chong Wei opponent in this virtual reality (but real) would be EPIC. That studio would need a lot of sensors and space/distance/power recognition technology. These launchers must have an instant response to how my opponent is playing.

13. Avian Rodrigues

While he is in another studio with the same setup

14. Avian Rodrigues

Hey did I just invent a badminton computer player

15. Avian Rodrigues

Could it learn the algorithm lol

16. Avian Rodrigues

Nah let's just leave it as live opponent shuttle response technology.. Momota is the best!!

17. Avian Rodrigues

Would need large shuttle feeding and storage etc to be easy

18. Avian Rodrigues

If it can recognize the last-minute hold and pitch as well as normal and deception techniques then that would be real badminton...maybe the racquet can have sensors to detect this instantly... The launchers, wherever placed for real-life shuttle response, should not be distracting, as the player has to keep their eye on the shuttle at all times.. however if the VR technology allows me to see it off my opponent's racquet, that's just crazy...

19. Avian Rodrigues

Vr glasses that track real-time shuttle kovement from launchers while you can see it off your opponent's racquet...

20. Avian Rodrigues

That video technology may be possible...once i can have real-time contact with the shuttles from the launchers with the Vr glasses on and see my opponent playback is real-time..this would be possible