Recommendation for a rear court racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Sushi Bear, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Sushi Bear

Sushi Bear Regular Member

Hi,

I would like your opinion on choosing which of the rackets below is suited for the situation. Currently, I am using an Astrox 88s (4u 2020 version) for my front court play and looking to add one specifically for rear court power play. Since there is a compensation when it comes to speed and power. Preferably something that is slightly slower but packs a bit more power. This is not to say that the 88s can't generate good smashes, but it's more fast than powerful/heavy. Previously I used the Astrox 99 and felt that was too sluggish for doubles. So maybe something in the middle of the 88s and the 99 would be perfect. Also, leaning more on LN rackets for the flex as and might be more forgiving. Though any other suggestion than below would be welcomed as well.

LN Rackets in consideration
    a) LN Aeronaut 9000C
    b) LN Tectonic 7
    c) LN Tectonic 7C

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Isnt it obvious. 88S are front court king & its brother 88D are the back court king. & if you didnt know there is new 88D Pro. Many say its more forgiving, its less powerfull than the original 88D but not by much yet you gain more manouver.

3. Sushi Bear

Thank you for the response, the 88D and the pro version are yes the obvious choice. Just thought that there might be other options that I can choose from. From other manufacturers.

4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Tectonic 7C,
    Turbocharging 80,
    Tectonic 9 (4U) [will be released soon]

should be closer to 88D/88D pro in terms of BP, a bit more flexier, and faster in the air.

Woesi likes this.
  5. wiratamatama

wiratamatama Regular Member

From what i read you write about flex that more forgiving. Do you feel that Astrox is too stiff for you? If yes you can try Calibar 900Boost (Medium) or Calibar 900Instinct (Medium Flex) or Aeronaut 9000Boost (Medium) or Aeronaut 9000Instinct (Medium Flex). ;)

6. guantou

guantou Regular Member

if only lining, u could look at n9ii (tc75) or n7ii (tc70). reviews can be found in this forum

7. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Agree with the two posts before, if you are fine with a bit more flex the Aeronaut 7000C and 3D Calibar 900 are also good headheavy choices from LN.

The AN7000C btw is quite similar to the 9000C but significantly cheaper (at least in my area).

8. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Honestly u need to determine yourself as which type of player and develop the alternate skills.. I.e if you are always front court player then your current 88s is more than enough for a occasional back court and smashes. Otherwise if ur a back court player then something close to 88d for ur backcourt and occasional front court kills and net it should be fine!!

But wait a minute!! In a doubles u can never always predict the nature.. u have to be prepared with what weapon u have in hand!! Given that, if u want a slightly slower racket how are u proposed to play the front court? If ur current 88s is good for u?

My suggestion is 88s is good for both, or go for 88d pro for front and backcourt both.. preferably a 3u version so that it feels heavy and rock solid in your hands..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sushi Bear

Thank you for the suggestion, will look more into the calibar 900 series rackets in comparison with the aeronaut series. Unforetunately, videos for these two series are lacking (english ones at least). This is also why I looked into the Tectonics more as the reviews seem mostly positive.

I agree with what was said that you can never predict what might happen in doubles and this is why I will be adding to my racket in the event that I am teamed up with a different person. Recently, I have been playing more rear court than front as I play mostly mixed doubles instead rather than men's doubles. Fortunately, a friend of mine has a 88d pro (4u), will ask if I can borrow for a session or two so I can see for myself how it plays.

10. BalajiSethuraman

Yup.. try 88d pro.. I heard they made the shaft a little flex than the earlier one.. it might suit u.. but remember that any new racket will take at least 2 days for the dust to settle within u!! If u don’t have a timing issue with the racket from the word go!! It might suit u in 2 days otherwise it will take at least 3 to 4 days..

11. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Even so he is coming from 88S front play racket. Having another racket with different characteristic (back court racket) will always require you to adjust/adapt on every racket switch coz its 2 side of bridge, you need time to walk over to the other side.

BalajiSethuraman likes this.
  12. BalajiSethuraman

Well u summed what I wanted to convey in pretty much few lines

I took the long way in explaining

Budi likes this.
  13. Sushi Bear

This is true, I remember adjusting from V80 to AX99 to AX88s, took me quite a while in between cycles. Roughly 5 sessions in average, so I do expect just as much if not more with the open and close of courts fro where I am.

14. fufu27

fufu27 Regular Member

goes for astrox 88D PRO for sure both rear n front court