Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Feng Yanzhe won 2 silvers today :)
    Hope he gets ZN as his MD partner, cc: CBA.

2. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Lei Lanxi has lovely deft touches and his great defensive play made things difficult for Sun Feixiang. He is so quick to the shuttle. Is there any way we can see the earlier matches, anyone ?
    Great to see the juniors again.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now showing the replay of Chen Yufei vs Han Yue http://www.zhuafan.live/1563348.

Isn't that Wang Zhixian co-commentating?

After the WS Final is the MS Final. Stay tune.

#3363 Justin L, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As far as I understand, the National Individual Championships is an annual affair, unlike the National Games, a multi-sport event held once every four years and , therefore, much more prestigious. You just have to look at the lineups for both, it's obviously not of the same standing.

I also don't think they would combine both events and use the qualification rounds of the CNG as the national championships - doesn't make sense to me, just like the Olympic Games is different from the World Championships. CMIIW.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I watched bits of ZN matches, not convinced, I don't think he can get back to his good form again.

6. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Feng needs his mentorship, ZN probably will retire in a year or two.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think that Zhang Nan's motivation has waned and it became more obvious when his new partnership with the tall , robust Ou Xuanyi hasn't worked out very well, falling short of expectations. In hindsight, he might've done better with Huang Kaixiang had he picked him instead for despite HKX's average built, he is, in my opinion, a smart, thinking player more or less in the same mould as the vastly experienced ZN, only less so in this regard.

In other words, I just felt that having two players of quite similar characteristics, both physical and mental, can be a good fit too, a possible alternative to the more normal view or belief of having two players of dissimilar characteristics to complement each other's strengths and weaknesses or limitations is the best way to go, theoretically speaking. That (referring to the normal mainstream belief) is not necessarily so as there are always exceptions, and this could be a case in point, hypothetically speaking.

I mean, Huang Kaixiang and Liu Cheng's combination is sort of based on a similar line of thought with HKX playing Zhang Nan's role whilst Liu Cheng is the big smasher a la Ou Xuanyi. However, I must qualify my statement that though I think having a ZN/HKX combo might be a good mix, it does not follow that I would necessarily subscribe to the same thinking that having two big guns capable of fast and furious attacking game as their main tactic would work out just as fine for I believe we still need one of them to be the more strategic player to do the setting up or creating opportunities for the partner to unleash his firepower. Well, the HKX/LC combo hasn't done much better or worse than the ZN/OXY combo - of course, you can argue that's because HKX is no ZN, not on the same level, but you get my point.

To sum up, I'm of the opinion that having two intelligent, creative players as a pair is more advantageous than a pair of basically hard-hitting, all-guns firing kind of combination as it's apparent to me that both ZN and HKX are also largely all-round players, and such a combo might also, by exception, possibly form a better combo than a pair of players with complementary skills. A case of one plus one equals more than two, so to speak.

Who knows, Zhang Nan and Huang Kaixiang may or might just click as a pair - alas, probably too late for that to happen now, I suppose; a what-if, a remote possibility unless the 31-year-old Zhang Nan does a Hendra Setiawan who at 36 is still going strong.

#3367 Justin L, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Dangho, Cheung and tbgoh288 like this.
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

And certainly MAS Open (25-30 May).

He fails to clear Sun Feixiang who unables to overcome the underestimated Lei Lanxi in gold medal match.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, Sun Feixiang stunned Lu Guangzu, but in the final, he couldn't prevail against Lei Lanxi, whom, to me, was a surprise package as he narrowly beat Li Shifeng in a come-from-behind victory in the decider when two-matchpoints down in the semifinals.

In the MS title bout, Lei Lanxi rose to the occasion, his superior stamina enabled him to lift the crown from Sun Feixiang in a tense three-set battle where after dropping G1, 19-21, he then went on to reassert himself with relentless pursuit to down SFX in the next two sets, 21-13 and 21-12 in a spurt of energy.

All I can say is, apart from Chen Long and Shi Yuqi, the top two in CBA, the rest are of the national players are generally lacking in consistency, and, for most of them short on experience as well.

As for SYQ playing the MAS Open, I'm not sure if he's registered for the tournament as I thought after the IND Open from 11-16 May,due to the 14/21 days quarantine requirements, he might not make it for the MAS Open held 25 -30 May, and, therefore, he could only participate in the SIN Open 1-6 June after that. Let's see.

For sure, I certainly very much wish to see him at both the MAS and the SIN Opens.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  10. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

According to world ranking LGZ is indeed CBA's 3rd ranked MS player, but players like LSF, WHY, LLX and SFX are not far behind. They have been training together and have sparred against one another, so they know each other's game quite well. Hence upsets among them are bound to take place. I must say that LGZ didn't perform as well as we expected of him. He even nearly lost to Dong Tian-yao in the round of 16, winning it with the scores of 18-21, 21-19 and 24-22. I have scoured the Chinese internet to look for this match to no avail. Guess I won't be able to find it since it was played on court 8.

#3370 tbgoh288, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Justin L likes this.
  11. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

Saw the Lu Guangzu/Dong Tianyao match when it was telecast live, albeit with a strange camera angle. Dong Tianyao, young that he is, combined patches of good play with patches of errors; but, when he was playing well I was glad to see that he could match Lu Guangzu. In the end, he lost on a close line call.

Also, read a comment on a Chinese forum that Lei Lanxi is from Hubei, but has been trained in Dongguan, Guangdong by Tang Xianhu.

Cheung likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wow, Lei Lanxi trained by the grand old master, Tang Xianhu, who still has a thing or two to impart to anyone who's eager and smart enough to acquire at least some, if not all, of his knowledge and skills. As we know, Lin Dan is the greatest beneficiary and most illustrious disciple of The Thing (TXH's nickname).

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A couple of years ago I heard Tang was helping the Macau team. Probably Covid affected that.

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Highly likely we'll see those CHN back-ups in 2022, tough chance for low-ranked shuttlers to take part BWF tournament this year.

15. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

China's badminton coach on who will attend single's event in Tokyo

EXCERPTS:

The Chinese Badminton Association has not decided which players will go to attend competitions in the Tokyo Olympics. Xia Xuanze, singles coach of the national team.

Xia said Chen Long, Shi Yuqi, Chen Yufei, He Bingjiao and Wang Zhiyi are all qualified for the Olympics, but according to the rules of the Badminton World Federation (BWF), each association can only send two athletes to one event.

"I am satisfied with the intensity I saw in the matches of Chen Yufei and Wang Zhiyi. Men's singles athletes are still adjusting for certain reasons. Shi Yuqi was injured in 2019 and he returned to the field 98 days after surgery to earn Olympic seed ranking points. The epidemic gave him over a year to buffer. His priority now is to get back to the best form."

"Chen Long has made some good changes to his match tactics under the guidance of Li Mao and coach Chen Yu. He is still in the breaking-in process. Both of them need to make a change in the past year. I saw some signs in the domestic events."

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-06-...ingle-s-event-in-Tokyo-112owHuBU4g/index.html

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

So CBA is still undecided to pick He BJ or Wang ZY to accompany Chen Yufei?

Baddyforall likes this.
  17. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Most Probably, Wang ZY will accompany Chen Yufei to the Olympics. Fresh. Most top players don't know so much about her. She would have played them once or twice. It would be a surprise if she gets a medal. But extremely difficult, even if He Bingjiao is there.

18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    IIRC HBJ defeated both WZY, CYF recently, she seems to be putting in a lot of work as well, if would be tragic for her.

I am quite confident that CYF and HBJ will play, WZY's attack is still not developed.

Cheung likes this.
  19. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Correct me if wrong but China has secured the chance to grab (at least) one medal in each category at the Tokyo 2020 games?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Except for WD where at this stage, there's only one CHN pair left, Chen QC/Jia YF, who has to win tomorrow's semifinal against the KOR Kim/Kong for a place in the final. That's because of the bronze medal match play-off between the two losing semifinalists.

LenaicM likes this.