World's first super light-weight ear-muff sports helmet

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Avian Rodrigues, May 10, 2021.

?

is a sports helmet a good idea for noise reduction, focus and enhanced team communication?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

2. Avian Rodrigues

Avian Rodrigues Regular Member

@wannaplay - if you read and understand the thread, stuffing and covering your ear is seriously a thing of personal preference... if you can't understand why it is serious, stuff your ear.

3. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 10.48.04 PM.png

might as well go full scale head & eye protection from head shots.

can even establish comms with your coach and coordinate tactics with teammate.

4. Avian Rodrigues

LMAO!! i don't know if you're with me or against me..but cool pic to gain from...comms should just be for a team badminton idea where coaches need to get messages to multiple players at same time (simultaneous matches)...if you wanna protect your eyes, just get goggles, you can even put plastic lenses in these if you need glasses https://www.amazon.com/Andux-Basket...=Sports+Glasses+Goggles&qid=1620835999&sr=8-2 --- but if you're thinking 'super super light helmet' with smaller, more technologically advanced ear-muffs, with perfect hold during movement, you're with me... I'm pretty sure these will give players superior focus and concentration ability when training...and if it feels better without environmental sound, it can be used at all times..., if you can do it, you can immerse your talent and skill in blissful silence while playing the most serious and peaceful badminton of your life.. You may be better able to hear yourself think also ... also this is a great idea for music/ relaxing, meditative sounds to effectively be part of the game and training, maybe can work with bluetooth...that would be super cool. .. please also read above for my audio receiving mic setup around the court for pro play, which will block out all audience noise and channel all court sounds in a clean and efficient manner to the ear-muff helmet's device/ headset.

#24 Avian Rodrigues, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
  5. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Whether the features you propose are useful or not, wearing a helmet sounds uncomfortable. If I for some reason forget to shave for a week, and have to play badminton I cannot stand how the hair holds sweat. I will never wear wrist or headbands because the more I sweat, the worse it feels, although I understand some people might need it to keep it from their eyes. Any barrier between my body and the air that holds sweat is another source of discomfort for me. If I could I much prefer to play shirtless, although that will probably cover the court with drops of sweat.

Anyway, the idea of putting something on my head, for whatever beneficial reason, when I play badminton sounds like a nightmare.

My aversion might be a bit extreme, but I imagine not an insignificant amount of players feel this way.

6. Avian Rodrigues

This is no extreme aversion and I understand your point..I think there must be a specific design/type of helmet for you...once the material you play with is not sweat absorbent at all, like flexible rubber material for the entire helmet or for your ears only (I think this kind of internal muff should cover a larger surface area of the ear and head-side and perhaps have a turn screw at side of helmet to tighten and adjust added to it's already high tension like a normal ear muff..for you, it should be rubber, would be like normal sweating)...once it is material to not make you feel bad with sweat, the amount of contact it has with your head can be minimized..the face and back part of the helmet doesn't have to be in contact with your skin..once the helmet has enough compression on (not sweat uncomfortable/noticeable) areas of your head to hold well, it can have a light adjustable plastic/flex rubber frame that levels how much it comes in contact with the head. Once the build for this helmet is correct, it should be a super light and insignificant weight on your head with minimal sweat discomfort..The idea is new but there can be many ways and designs for that demand. If you read above, there are many things it can bring to the game in focus, comms and sound. I think I would prefer this kind of helmet though... Less contact the better

#26 Avian Rodrigues, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am with you. If there were any benefit whatsoever, we would've seen ppl doing it. To put anything over the head, adding extra moving weight, restrict air flow, looking like a complete dork.... all those, for absolutely zero benefit, is such a ridiculous idea.

s_mair likes this.
  8. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

The problem with sweat is not the material. A cotton shirt that holds sweat is uncomfortable and heavy. But glasses, whether it's a metal frame or a plastic frame, is light and doesn't absorb sweat at all, and still I cannot understand why people would choose to play with glasses when contact lenses exist. Though it doesn't absorb sweat, it does stick to the surface.

(To anyone reading this who is scared of putting contacts in or touching your eye; the initial struggle to overcome this is minor compared to a lifetime of having to wear glasses during sports. Just make sure you wash your hands and rinse the soap off very thoroughly. If your eyes are intolerant of lenses, than that's just bad luck. My eyes can tolerate lenses for about 4-5 hours before they become dry, so I normally wear glasses and only switch to disposable lenses during sports.)

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And besides, I kind of enjoy my ability to… well…. hear. And to communicate with other players by simply talking and listening to them. If I want to be alone with myself I go for a run in the woods.

I’m also quite sure that the hitting sound of your opponent plays a significant role to quickly identify the kind of shot you have to expect and allows you to react quickly. Taking that away unnecessarlily is just bonkers all by itself.

SnowWhite likes this.
  10. Avian Rodrigues

kwun and s_mair, you have your opinion, I hear you, again....it is clear that you 2 have an inability to derive focus from proper regulated silence in badminton...and you are sure that because it is not out there, someone should not use it... And as much as I spoke about it being suggested for a team badminton idea where the decibel levels in the audience will be in accordance with how points are scored in the simultaneous matches..and that I prefer to call it 'focus training equipment' because playing with muffs after one hour and taking it off and playing normally, feels like you have increased focus and concentration..you two still repeated the same thing..s_mair as much as u think the sound from ur opponent's racquet is essential, vibrations are essential too..and I have suggested it as training equipment and as such you should not rush to use them in a pro game except if decible levels are uncontrollable and very high..and you can listen to with proposedly regulated silence for the helmet, as I'm not saying the helmets should support complete silence only... Good eyesight of the opponent's racquet and shuttle is more key cuz half the time the sound doesn't tell u how fast the shuttle is going..besides, if you use it for focus training you will be able to gain focus and better hand/eye coordination through trained balance under silence..u 2 have no scope for focus training and I advise that u should stick to what u know and try to stop advising me or others who would consider this.. like Why can't I rock(music) and play at the same time? Or why can't it be suggested used as a good idea to suppress high decibel levels? or perhaps even brings comms and court only sounds to the helmet (hearing court only sounds on this kind of helmet, would be very close to the same hearing as without helmet, but I guess it is an advanced setup around court, but there are ways to block out audience decibel levels and channel court only sounds to the helmet, which will allow the player to hear the game as normal without other external sound)

#30 Avian Rodrigues, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  11. Smash the net

Smash the net Regular Member

One potential problem I can see is that players wearing this (or other forms of noise suppression) is that they might miss line calls, and might not be able to hear the umpire

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Well... What i see is that those concept of noise reduction is that it reduce all noise including sound that you actually need (hitting sound, your partner footstep, your partner yelling). So in the end its not quite usefull at all.

Once i play on a court that had pretty bad roof during heavy rain. The roof create super noisy sound that even when you scream with all your might, none of the opponent side would be able to hear it. So having those noise are pretty distrubing & uncomfortable, so having an earbud (or your idea) would ease our hearing for sure but wont help the game itself as i wont hear any sound that i need either.

13. Avian Rodrigues

One word...COMMS (Ump has comm button that sends message to built in headset and internal mic of the helmet, saying what and when he likes, with the player responding, if challenge necessary)..i also proposed of an advanced mic setup around the court to channel all court sounds to the helmet while blocking out all auidence sound, in the same way as if hearing it normally without a helmet, but just in an ear-muff..would be cool.

#33 Avian Rodrigues, May 14, 2021
  14. Avian Rodrigues

I understand you are a doubles player, but I'm not proposing completely silenced ear-muff helmets, in fact, I have proposed comms and ways to selectively amplify/reduce sound. While I may not need comms for singles, doubles may need it and that tech is out there, however, what you say of these essential to hear sounds (by all rights) tells me that you have not read my general idea of the helmet being 'focus training equipment',,, If you are into focus training, try using muffs for one hour..take them off then play without them, and guaranteed there is a difference..however, after sustained training, the mind may hear itself better and the silence may cause increased focus\concentration, shuttle contact efficiency..while the helmet is not out there, the noise it allows in should be regulated, whether by technology in one helmet or different helmets with different noise reduction capabilities. Silence and vibration training is key in anything..and majority of the time, you need a quiet place...i'm not saying that a person who meditates should wear these if the place is noisy, everyone has their capability in managing sound and projecting focus..but for the task at hand, once the regular bodily balance is maintained through the light ear muff helmet, it would surely benefit decibel level reduction and focus training. Also, I think with enough training, playing in silence may not be so bad at all, and if you get the same shots and movements/ feelings/contact efficiency without sound, maybe you won't need it for just blocking out loud decibels levels in a team match. Also, if you are a doubles player, maybe silence can be good for communication, synchronisation and focus training as the badminton doubles strategies and rules already gives players the position they have to be at all times and how to adapt..when u take off the muffs you will see the difference and eventually you may not mind playing in silence, especially if decibel levels are loud and you have developed enough skill to play and communicate in silence. Thanks for input appreciated.

#34 Avian Rodrigues, May 14, 2021
  15. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

The way you propose to use the helmet for focus training seems to function more as a crutch for those who are troubled by too much noise. Like wearing a knee brace when injured. Yes it alleviates the strain in the short term, but if you keep wearing it, in the long term it prevents the joint from recovering to its pre-injury strength and stability. So players should want to work towards being independent of those crutches.

Similarly, dealing with external pressures (like noise) is part of the game, and players should learn to focus, even when the circumstances aren't perfect. Even if noise reduction helps players in the moment (and I am doubtful that it would), it will make them dependent on the helmet. When the helmet comes off, because the player is now used to a quieter experience, will be more sensitive to noisy distractions.

I think that more often than not, players succumb to internal pressures before finding an external factor to blame it on. And if noise is a real problem, it's likely that it's not the noise itself, but worrying that the noise will affect their play that ultimately makes the player play worse. And that is a problem of mental weakness.

#35 SnowWhite, May 14, 2021
  16. Avian Rodrigues

The way you are using words seem to function more for hate than helpful meaning, like covering a wound with metal, yes it covers the wound, but if you keep covering it over time, it may prevent the sensibility of the body from recovering to its full strength and stability... then you're saying 'if you know of anyone on crutches, it would be the VERY SAME NOISE DEPENDENCY!!' JUST LIKE AN INJURED LEG ON A KNEE BRACE, THANK GOD IT CAN HELP ME RECOVER, BUT WATCH OUT BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SO CLEVER TO TAKE THEM OFF AFTER THE PAIN, BECAUSE WEARING A KNEE BRACE WITH OR WITHOUT PAIN AFTER TIME WILL CAUSE YOU TO EXPERIENCE PAIN, AND NOT REDUCE STRAIN AND MOVEMENT IMPACT AS IN SPORTS LIKE BADMINTON... Your method of conveying this point is highly unappreciated..AS AN INJURY IS NO WHERE CLOSE TO THIS HELMET PROPOSAL, NOR OF ANYTHING COVERING AN INJURY.. IT SUPPORTS FOCUS TRAINING AND DECIBEL LEVEL REDUCTION FOR PLAYERS WHO REQUIRE IT.

Similarly, you should try to understand that this idea was proposed to support a team badminton format where there would be simultaneous matches and the audience cheering at the same time and there would be confusing or loud decibel levels. If you don't think it goes well with singles, doubles and other formats, this is your opinion, but I'm pretty sure you are not understanding that in this team format, there will be more noise and louder decibel levels and hence the proposal.. I don't care if you played badminton in peace and silence all your life, and if you are great at not worrying about/blocking out external sound...but I have discussed why these helmets are proposed and how they can work for any form of badminton through focus training. This has nothing to do with how your body and mind responds to sound at any activity or part of your life, i care not if you are allergic to crabs... if you were right, there wouldn't be other people whose mind and body respond differently after silence.

If you are concerned about the sensitivity it introduces to the body in terms of hearing and concentration, I can attest to it supporting focus, even after prolonged silence, if you try it, unless there is something in your ability, understanding and perception of it, you should become more sensitive to the badminton sounds and not what is around you, as normal..(temporary ringing displacement and balance adaptation, this is easy) ..this could easily be done through balanced, controlled rounds of play with the helmets so that you do not go off balance or whatever it is that may affect you...different people respond differently... and if there was really super loud decibel levels in a badminton match or confusing audience cheering in a simultaneous match for my team badminton idea, I don't know what would work better...your opinion can be better regarded on this forum - https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/badminton-crowd-loud-or-quiet.26264/

#36 Avian Rodrigues, May 14, 2021
  17. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

So even on the premise that noise reduction/cancellation is somehow beneficial to someones performance on court (strong doubt for 99% of players): I still don't understand why you would need a helmet for that? All a helmet does is add extra weight, less thermal ventilation and it's also not exactly aesthetically pleasing, to put it mildly. So wouldn't it make alot more sense to design some kind of earplugs deluxe that don't fall out etc.?

18. Avian Rodrigues

Not everyone can look good with a helmet, I also recommended earbuds if this is not pleasing, it can also have comms tech ..with the right weight and ventilation, anything is possible....however, I can guarantee that with heavy movement and sweat leaking into the ear-drum, your taste can be displeasing to many.. if you cannot derive any benefit through playing in silence, it may be that 99% of people are just like you because 99% of badminton players are amateurs (or at least a staggering amount)... and may not derive any form of focus training from it, or perhaps in the midst of heavy noise, would not mind using the noise infiltrating, SLACK and incapable ear-plugs/buds...Trust me, there may be a lot of things you do not understand, but I hope you never understand this helmet and continue bleeding sweat into your drums lol jk.. IT WILL FALL OFF IF A REAL PRO/ MOMOTA PLAYS WITH IT (AND I'M NO JUDGE OF LOOKS, BUT IF I SEE HIM TOUCHING OR FIXING, I WILL SEE DISCOMFORT AND A BAD AESTHETIC).. AND YOU CAN'T USE EAR SUCTION, CUZ THAT'S UNHEALTHY/UNCOMFORTABLE/PAINFUL AFTER TIME TO GIVE THE RIGHT HOLD. GEEZ, EARPLUGS THAT DON'T SHIFT/ FALL OUT OF PLACE DURING HEAVY BADMINTON MOVEMENT IS JUST CRAZY, YOU GUYS MUST LACK THE UNDERSTANDING AND EXPERIENCE, PERHAPS TOO, SKILL.... to dislike fixing and touching all the time through stuffing your wax... WHY WOULD YOU PENETRATE/ STUFF THE EAR DRUM DURING HEAVY PLAY IF THERE COULD BE AN EAR-MUFF HELMET FOR CLEANER, MORE COMFORTABLE, SAFER PLAY WITH THE PROVEN BEST NOISE REDUCTION/REGULATION SUPPORT? I just wanted it as far away from my ear-drum as possible, with perfect hold... thanks.. do as you do

#38 Avian Rodrigues, May 14, 2021
  19. Avian Rodrigues

If you would all see the value of silence for focus and concentration just as you see in those plugs, you really wouldn't see the ear-helmet as a far-off difference (because an ear-muff literally works better for decibel protection than plugs), no matter your personal opinion or how you respond to sound, aesthetics and training.. I think what I'm trying to say is, I will answer each and every plug biased lover/muff suppresser that is posted to this thread, no matter how repetitive or detailed I have to get.

#39 Avian Rodrigues, May 14, 2021
  20. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

In your opening post, you ask our opinion on the idea of using a special helmet for the reasons you proposed.

I do just that, I share what I think of the idea and the reasons players, including myself, probably wouldn't like to use it. I do this by making my point in clear concise sentences so readers will be able to understand, and so there is little room for misinterpretation.

For my trouble I am met with:

Which words seem to function more for hate than helpful meaning? I don't mean to hate, so in order to avoid it in the future, please tell me how I can make my points in a better way.

Friendly advice: overuse of the caps lock key will not add credibility to your point. Instead it detracts credibility because it comes off as an angry rant. I only say this because I'm sure it is not your intention to sound angry at all.

Please tell me how I can better convey my point.

Yes, it is very much my opinion.

This is an inaccurate assumption. I have played in many busy tournament halls.

Anyway...

What do you hope to accomplish here? What do you want?

In your opening post you ask for our opinions, but they don't seem to satisfy you.

So what do you really want?

s_mair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.