drop weight machine, is it any good?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by deepinthemusic, May 30, 2021.

1. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Hi there good people of bc. For quite some time I've been wondering about the drop weight machine. About to buy one from China thru Aliexpress. I want to ask couple questions and be finally sure about it before I pull the plug. From the start of my stringing days, I've only use one machine, the crank machine. It does the job but mine is a cheap machine the eagnas one and not really accurate, sure it can go from 20lbs to 28lbs, but I want more accuracy like 25.5lbs which is quite impossible because its not constant pulling. From what I've seen, the digital machine also high in accuracy but not in my price range. Also from experience with crank machine, there are lots of parts (like springs, screws, and bolts) have to be inspected for maintenance from time to time, I suspect it will be the same too with digital machine, and I live in a small town, I'm trying to avoid servicing machine every now and then. From what I see, the mechanism on the drop weight machine pretty simple, so maintenance should not be an issue (correct me if I'm wrong). But major factor of the decision is the price of the drop weight machine is only 10% of the digital machine.

1. How reliable / accurate is this machine compared to crank machine? Can it go to 0.5lbs accurately?
    2. Does it need maintenance often?
    3. I've got 2 options, one is without fixed clamps, the other one is with fixed clamps. Is the fixed clamps durable enough for years?
    4. Tell me something you think I should know before purchasing this machine?

Pictures of drop weight machine I'm after, and eagnas machine I'm currently using.
    Thanks in advance for your input, deeply appreciated.
    David.

drop weight fixed clamps.jpg drop weight no clamps.jpg eagnas.jpg drop weight fixed clamps.jpg drop weight no clamps.jpg eagnas.jpg

2. deepinthemusic

Somebody with experience on drop weight machine, help please

What is the sensitivity of the drop weight machine? Will it be able to go 0.5lbs difference accurately?

3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

In order to get really high precision, the more important factors are quality of the supports and clamps. Both drop weight and electronic could give you precise pull power but your clamping will really be the deciding factor if you will be able to actually make use of this precision.

So... unless you buy very expensive machine this kind of precision is really not import and not worth worrying about in my opinion.

4. deepinthemusic

Thanks for replying, so if done right, both drop weight and electronic machine can produce precise pull power. Thats kinda the answer I was looking for. Cheers.

From your experience, if you look at the drop weight machine that I'm after (the blue one), is the fixed clamps reliable (can holds tension well) to do the job?

5. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I really not sure as I don't have an experience with this machine. I think in the end of the day it is more about technique and effort. You can get precise results with almost any machine but if you talking 1/2 lbs precision - it feels to me that will take quite a lot to get it with this machine compared to some expensive ones. So as I said I don't think you should worry about such exactness.

For sure crank is the last one you want for precise results, it's the hardest and most effort to get there... It is more useful for someone who wants high speed and don't care so much about quality... So, surely drop weight is the right direction for what you are looking in inexpensive machine.

6. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

You'll have to know your machine and experiment at first. You have to mesure and graduate the machine. Or mesure the tension before stringing

7. deepinthemusic

Thank you for your input, appreciate it. I think you know what I expect out of this machine. Yes I'm willing to sacrifice speed for consistency in tension which I cannot get precisely in crank machine. Cheers, mate. I'm halfway sold to buying this machine.

8. deepinthemusic

Still curious about the quality of the mounted fixed clamps on the machine though... Because quite some price diff between with and without clamps... I need the clamps but if the quality and or durability is not there, I guess the one without clamps is clearly the better option, hmmm....

9. khoai

khoai Regular Member

The blue one with fixed clamps looks the same as Alpha Pioneer DC Plus which is pretty decent, comparable to Gamma X-6FC. Don't worry too much about durability of fixed clamps since you can buy them fairly cheap and the worst case is you can also buy flying clamps if you don't like fixed clamps. Actually, you should have flying clamps anyway, they'll be useful.

https://www.tennismachinepros.com/collections/made-in-usa/products/alpha-pioneer-dc-plus

10. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

to my opinion, drop weight is a lot more artisan tool, that electro. It will never be quick, so no point to buy dropwright for commercial stringing.
    But it gives most direct feel of tension, you can drop it super carefully or allow to shake and return. When clamping, there are small movements, etc etc.
    But for 300 eur machine... first you have no choice, second all these machines are crap.

11. deepinthemusic

Thanks for the answer. I use flying clamps all this time. I dont use the fixed clamps on my eagnas crank machine because its so bad its not usable . I kinda want a decent fixed clamps so I can do my mains starting point properly. Hope this one can do the job well enough.

12. deepinthemusic

I see from the other thread that you also use a drop weight machine, sir. If its not too much trouble, can you please post short video of you stringing a racket and pls let the camera focusing on the drop weight mechanism? I want to see what you mean with dropping it super carefully, and allow to shake and return, and small movements when clamping. Hope its not too much trouble, sir. Thank you in advance.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    You have a lot of requirements that contradicts your budget. As long as you know the limitations, then you can set your own expectations.

Firstly, you are correct, the Eagnas you have there, pretty much just throw it away. Many years ago I had one with the same table and support and it was absolute junk.

You are correct that drop weight is a cheap way to get to constant pull, which is important and you will likely get a more consistent tension.

However, it is not perfectly accurate like electronic, it is after all a mechanical device, there are sources of inaccuracies, friction in the drop weight mechanism, and your skills in settling the weight. You also have to understand the difference between precision and accuracy. In theory a drop weight can give you infinite precision, you are just moving a weight on a bar, however, it is not neccesarily accurate.

Electronic machines, they are very accurately, but the precision can only go up to 0.1lbs.

Drop weight are also very slow. It is ok if you intend to string low volume. Otherwise, you might find it tedious.

I also recommend fixed clamp, as flying clamp introduce even more sources of inaccuracy, to the point that it is pointless to talk about accuracy.

The blue machine you showed above look pretty good. Good table and good support/clamps. As long as you expectation in speed and usage is matching that, you should be fine.

14. deepinthemusic

Thanks for taking the time and explaining it to me.

"In theory a drop weight can give you infinite precision, you arejust moving a weight on a bar, however, it is not neccesarily accurate."

Can you please explain a little bit more on this? If said weight on the bar is 25.5lbs, will I not get the string pulled at 25.5lbs?

15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    With any drop weight I'd recommend even a cheap fishing scale to check calibration. I destroyed the first racquet I strung at "24"lb.

Chudek side supports when you can afford them.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

16. deepinthemusic

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, i always use a fishing scale before each job. Even got two, and check with both before each job.

Chudek side support is better than the default machine side support? Is chudek compatible with all machine?

konstancij likes this.
  17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Just a one off to calibrate your scale. With pros pro you pretty much need to remove the sticker and make your own scale.

Chudeks just make it easier. Lot more room to work with, especially useful for those top shared holes I find.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk