Gosen G Tone 9 string. Any reviews?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mzheng168, Jan 21, 2016.

1. mzheng168

mzheng168 Regular Member

i was looking at the specs of this string and thought i might like it. But i couldn't find any reviews for it yet.

Has any of you guys tried this one and could you share your experiences/reviews of the string? Some comparison with NBG99 / VS850 / Zymax 69 Fire etc would be even more helpful. thx.

2. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

i normally use vs850, this string is nothing like that, feels similar to nbg99 but dull.
    i had them all strung at 27lbs

3. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

Zymax69 Fire i can't tell, never try it yet.

VS850 feeling it's nice. But loss tension too fast. I go for 30lbs and end up feeling like 27-28lbs after a month. If you feel BG80 too hard for u ,but u prefer something softer version. Then go for VS850.

NBG99 it's good for control. Due to slippery coating of the string, it feel so nice for net slice shot and defensive shot. But, repulsion not as good as NBG98 and the hitting sound very dumb and not crisp at all. If you plan to get NBG99 i would suggest you try NBG98 first, 98 much way better than 99.;)

4. mzheng168

mzheng168 Regular Member

thanks for the suggestions. Because i normally play with nylon shuttles so i usually go for medium feeling and slightly thicker strings with lower tension to reduce the harsh impact on my joints.

5. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    I'm getting am orange Gosen Customedge Type X version 2.0 with matching orange G-tone 9 next week. I'll let you know how it feels. Yes, I plan to match it with either an orange overgrip or towel grip.

NBG99 is a great all-around string with an emphasis for control. I find it more powerful than BG80. Despite the perceived slipperiness of the string, NBG99 is very good for control, hence the 10 rating. While the string is a little numb, the smashing sound is not too bad. It's a favourite of mine.

6. T.O.P

T.O.P Regular Member

Oh..that's the point. If you're playing nylon shuttles. Make sure the string you get above 0.68 gauge. Better and more durable, unless you play with that feeling and don't mind of durability.

If you prefer something medium feeling and durable, go for BG70PRO / NBG95, For hard feeling and durable go for BG65TI. Well, i don't think you would prefer soft feeling with nylon shuttles, but if you did, get BG65. :)

In fact, lower tension it does help to reduce impact on your joints. But you lose control in low tension. Based to you preferably, it's all round control string. Maybe wristband could help you ? :rolleyes:

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @Mark A I have actually 2 sets (white n yellow) to try. Will string them on Wednesday on 2 JS10. Yellow seems to be a tiny bit more rough. Let us made this thread to the "official G-Tone 9" thread.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I tried it a few weeks ago - nothing special, sadly.

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Maybe you got a bad job.;) Haha, just kidding.

Strung mine today. BG80 dropped to around 1240, so it was time for something fresh. The banana yellow turned pale after the waterskiing. Set my machine to 30/31 and strung one of my JS10's. Coating is for tie-offs a bit fragile. Who ever strung a RX110 or orange BG80Power, knows what I mean. You must be a bit more gentle or just pull by hands.

The weaving was pretty easy. Not a too slippy string which will be come a headache when it's hot. The string don't twist much. Zymax62 and BG80Power are strings which tend to have this issue. The string 'screams' when you tension the crosses. Pretty unusual for my ears, because I went normaly for a YY string and can't remember RX110 anymore.

At first ringing the string sounded a bit disappointing. My guess was around 1280Hz by ears. Clear tune said 1358Hz. Sounds great by numbers. Tried some serves and let the shuttle bounce a bit. Sounds not special like @Mark A mentioned. I let it stabilize today and will see how it performs tomorrow. Will report soon.

10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Played today 1 XD game and 1 XD vs. 1 WD. Don't laugh, one of those girls played at WDM, so no poor girls.

Maybe I improved my stringing skills after my last job or this G tone 9 fits my taste pretty close. Feels crisp, not as hard as BG80 and has good repulsion.

IMO it is a good string, if I check my list of nothing specials (BG65, BG65Ti, ZM65, ZM69Fire and No.7) this is a real decent string and not fair. Every hit was crisp, control was there and netplay was great. Drives came accurate and fast, placement during defence was also great, so I can't complain anything. If this string can keep its tension for 2 weeks pretty good and don't break within 2 weeks, I must re-think about BG80 as go-to for this season. Maybe I don't await some magic like others. ;) IMO not a bad string and would fit the NBG99 with more feel and some more repulsion.

11. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Fixed your post princess :)

Perhaps you thought better of the string, because you played girls?

^
    This is actually a serious comment, not meant to be putting you down! What I mean is, that in general, when we test strings, we often think better of them, if we're winning or we feel that we play well. Thus, if we're playing easier opponents, we'll not be pushed so much, resulting in better play and a better review. If you get run over by a better player, or being forced to play faster than your comfort zone, it's more likely that you're hitting way more mis-timed shots, more shots outside the sweet-spot, less smash that penetrates the defence, etc.

Just a general observation in regards to equipment reviews - not aimed at you (cantseeme).

Perhaps we should start specifying for each review, if we won or lost the session ;-)

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Nah, won in 3 sets the WD and lost the XD in 3 sets. I'm okay to play against girls etc. during club night, because they play higher than me. Sorry for beeing not a cave man "Ugha, Ugha, Girl weak, Man strong."

On Topic: I must say that GT9 is also one of these strings which is prone to fatal defects at high tension. Now I understand what @Mark A mean.

13. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

My post was mostly a joke, and of course you're OK taking part of a WD :)

But the part about reviews being flavored by the outcome of the match, or the satisfaction of one's actual play, had some seriousness to it.

So, the GT9 is a bit of a gamble?

At one point I thought that it could be fun to try out the string. But I can't seem to find it anywhere in Denmark at all. And reading the reviews here, I'm beginning to think that I don't need to add a 4th company to my line-up (now counting Yonex, Ashaway and Li-Ning).

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Tbh I normally warm up more intense than my club mates since my injury early this year. I also have a straight warm up routine and do drills before I start playing, so I can say confident how the string perform, without beeing really off balance, under high pressure or related to the game.

FME Gosen ist often a bit of gamble when you go for high tensions. Made with RX110 the experience that it is related to colours. I broke RX110 (white) within a few days. White GT9 also broke quickly, while yellow go strong. Even with plastics. Maybe I had just bad luck.

BTW if we judge the reviews, we also must count in stringers skill. I know stringers, which are able to make great strings feeling numb and poor or don't do the requested tension.

To verify, I played yesterday 2 XD and 2 MD games against different opponents with my partners for this season. Lost one, won one for both and I can say also that every game which I loose, is not the fault of the string or stringing job. This would pretty poor.

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I need to add something to the GT9: It lost IMO it's crispiness pretty fast and feels a bit numb and dead. I want to cut it. By measurement it drop within 6 days (3 times training) more than BG80 in 3 weeks which equals 9 times training and 1-2 league game. I don't care much about the Hz, but my feel was the reason to measure it. I won't order it again. Maybe a good tournament string, but nothing else.

Dr Vikram Varma likes this.
  16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IMO pretty much any Gosen is a gamble past a certain tension - the little flaws in the coating add up, and that's that.

I ended up cutting the GT9 as well; no feel, no sound. Nothing.

17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Did you play it with plastics? I tried it this time with plastics, too. ;) After all this Gosen and Li-Ning hypebeasts my conclusion is: Stay classic. I will keep BG80 this season.

18. Dr Vikram Varma

Dr Vikram Varma New Member

Orthodontist
    Have tested G tone 9 white , yellow , Black and Orange colours for close to a month . Have been using BG 65 Titanium for quite some time .

Racket - Yonex 10 DG , 3U G4

Tension - 29 lbs for both 65 Ti and GT 9

Play Time - 50 to 60 hrs per month .

Here are my observations .

Repulsion - GT 9 > 65 Ti

Hardness - GT 9 > 65 Ti

Power - GT 9 > 65 Ti

Sound - GT 9 > 65 Ti ( Insane Metallic Sound of GT 9 which you will love )

Durability - 65 Ti > GT 9

Tension Retention - 65 Ti > GT 9 ( GT 9 lost its flavour pretty soon - 2.5 weeks or so . )

If you tend to change your strings every 20-30 hrs of play then you will simply love G tone 9 .

If your tend tend to change your strings every 2nd month then 65 Ti is way better in feel and in long term .

Not sure still why I felt G tone 9 is seriously good for the first few sessions like 10 hrs or so when compared to my all time favourite BG 80 .

For this season I will stick to BG 80 for being the best all-rounder for my style of play .

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

gafoorgib likes this.
  19. gafoorgib

gafoorgib New Member

Stringer Badminton
    Write your experience on G Tone 5.