XXXII Tokyo OLYMPIC GAMES 2020 : DAY-5 (28th July 2021) XD Quarterfinal, MS & WS Group Stage

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 27, 2021.

1. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

Actually, even if Brian won that match, CTC would still have advanced to QF

2. Scrubs1

Scrubs1 Regular Member

Oops, my bad. He lost easily to another low rank player but nearly defeated CTC. Dang.

3. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

I feel so bad for momota. I wonder how he is coping with it. I think its a mental thing similar to simone biles (if you guys heard what happened in gymnastics)

Simeon likes this.
  4. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

It's the Olympics, anything can happen tbh.

I for one am going for either of the below to win Gold:
    Shi Yuqi
    Jonatan Christie
    Anthony Ginting
    Viktor Axelsen

Anyone else, and I'd be disappointed - especially if Anders Antonsen wins, that would be terrible.

Chen Long - already had his moment, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see him win - it would put him up there with Lin Dan tbh - multiple time WC/AE/2 time Olympic champion.

5. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah definitely lack of match fitness. But honestly even if there were no such circumstances, surely there would be a random day where his defence is slightly off and he would be in trouble. His defence always lives on small margins. Imo he should have developed his attacking game more to make his life easier, he said he was going to improve his attacks back in 2019, but I see no such improvement at all. LCW, LD and even CL in his prime had great defence together with great attacks. They saw way less success being a defensive oriented player (LCW pre 2010, CL post 2016). Momota was good to win using his defence last few years, but he would have even been better with a decently strong attack.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  7. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    in sport, anything can happen, not only in Olympic.

I would be happy to see Chen Long wins but i think he has passed his golden age.
    I think Denmark will win men's single

8. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

you guys seems to forget there is no actually research showing ABSOLUTELY ZERO effect in the body physical condition after recovery from Covid?
    For all we know, even 3-5% decrease in physical ability is a difference between number 1 and 10 in the world

Plus, when you are in a car accident that the driver actually died. It's a major accident, no joke whatsoever. Then he couldn't see after recovery and had to do a second operation on his eye.

From all these, he cant be 100%. He even said he thought his career was over after accident. It was that bad.

There were some photos of him on the side of the road blood all over his clothes.

idk about you tough cookies but if it was me. I can never be the same physically.

One fine example is Chris Froome who won 4-5 tour de france and considered the best there is (number 1 like Momota). One accident. Now hes not even top 100 after 1 full year of recovering.

Give the kid a break. Hes done so well to even showing up in the circus entertaining us after all these life changing events.

Simeon, Cheung, Baddie lover and 3 others like this.
  9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Why would it be terrible is Antonsen won though, he's been way more consistent than Christie.
    Or is it just purely personal preference, you don't like him or his play style or sth?

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just to clarify - do you mean there's no research proving recovered patients have no lasting after-effects? Or are you trying to say that there's no research proving the existence (and thus, possibility) of after-effects?

Personally, I'd consider it very possible that this is mainly based on confidence and match practice. I recall him improving a lot during his comeback, not immediately starting off in world beating form, and I think he might be somewhat similar to LCW in the sense that he benefits from regular competition to keep sharp.
    Regardless, this is definitely the most surprising upset for me in these Games.