XXXII Tokyo OG 2020 : DAY-9 (1st August 2021) MS Semifinal, WS Bronze & Gold Medal Match

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

She never shies away from eternal rallies. She call rally all day, all night, all summer, all winter. This later on developed capacity blows my mind away over how much a player can improve in his/her career.

visor and galaxyduo like this.
  2. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

India winning medal for the third time consecutively in WS. Hope India produce more world class players.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I wonder if TTY regrets not playing the WC in 2017, instead opting to play at the Universaide, despite the fact that many of her Taiwan teammates decided to play at the WC and not the Universaide. While she did win the Asia Games, she has never won the WC or Olympics.

It seems in 2017 that TTY was confident she could win a WC later because she was so far ahead of other players in skill, so she chose to play the Universaide over the WC in 2017. The problem is, when time advances, she may not be the best player in the world.

The moral of the story is, you win what you can now. Injury may end your career suddenly. Or another player may ascend the throne and supplant you (CYF). If TTY remains healthy, she still has a very good chance to win the WC this year. But a lot of pressure would have been taken off of her if she had won the WC back in 2017 instead of going to the Universaide.

#363 galaxyduo, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    stanleyfm, skhai91, Justin L and 2 others like this.
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

I wish we had a humble yet superstaresque in personality type World Number 1 MS player.

The hardest part about success is that not many can digest it even a little bit. As the story with our MS players so far.

Baddie lover and rajat_remar like this.
  5. jim4wd

jim4wd Regular Member

Let’s take a moment just to be thankful that these are all possible bcos the Olympic went ahead in a pandemic despite strong opposition to cancel it.

dood1234, nilesh123, skhai91 and 3 others like this.
  6. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

~hiding in corner sulking~~
    I so want TTY to win!!

7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

This might be the reason why she skipped WC17. Taiwan playing host is another major factor, I think.

Tai Tzu Ying won silver at the Summer Universiade in Kazan four years ago. Two years ago in Gwangju, she was beaten in the semis and ended up with bronze. In 2017, playing at home in a tournament that kept her from the World Championships – an event she was also favoured to win as the world #1 – she finally took the gold.

http://www.badzine.net/2017/08/universiade-5-of-6-golds-for-the-home-team/

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Once the badminton finishes, it’s ok to cancel

9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

I'm looking forward to this programme, Rhythmic Gymnastics.
    Plus see if US can win gold in Men's basketball.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I get what you mean. But my concern is if her opponent has nerves of steel a la Lin Dan , then she can't afford to keep letting her opponent attack her and hope to get away with it.

I felt that CYF should at least go on the offensive sometimes, particularly in the decider, if only to catch her opponent by surprise and unnerve her even more and, who knows, the match would've ended sooner. Instead CYF chose to grind down and frustrate TTY into making errors as CYF was able to return most of the shots thus forcing TTY to go for the lines and play tighter net shots, hence increased likelihood of mistakes.

visor and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I always wished Sindhu not to play Tai in the semis instead she play Chen yufei or HE bingjiao.
    Anyway, let's forget the past and move forward.
    Congratulations to Gold, Silver and Bronze medallists Chen yufei, Tai tzu ying and P V sindhu respectively.

Cheung, arjevo, nilesh123 and 2 others like this.
  12. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Congrats to the new Olympic Angels and an already reigning Oly Angel three best in the badminton world

CHEN YU FEI

TAI TZU YING

PUSARLA VENKATA SINDHU

Im very happy for my fav Queen of Majors the Reigning World Champion for her consecutive second Oly Medal !

Upset that king shiYQ lost also happy for Li and Liu that they won Silver but also sad for Fuku/Hiro it broke my heart to see them cry that day also sad for Ratchanok this was probably her only chance at the Oly Medal her biggest dream but it was the same for TTY so someone had to be upset.

This Oly was a tournament where I cried whole night after seeing Fuku Hiro...I just couldnt hold back because I love them so much and want them to win an Oly Medal...Finally my Queen and Big bros have given me a reason to cheer and be happy...but waiting to see Fuku/Hiro back much more stronger !

Now Rooting for ASG against the Guatamalian newbie and Greysia and Rahayu so much but even without it an Olympic Medalist already soo proud of her...I know the Chinese WD are very good and could take Gold...not too much in XD and WD but May the best pair win.

Legend Sir Chen Long has already recorded his name as one of the Greatest MS players of all times and VA too with already 2 Oly Medals and history has already been created but if Sir Legend Chen Long wins tomorrow...I will have to work a lot on my writing and research in my Blog of LEGENDS CORNER.

Do join me if if you're intrested in discussions or reading about Legends aka ( OLY,WC Medalists )

Love you all
    Super excited for tomorrow :)

13. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Weird decision by TTY. Had TTY won the WC in 2017, when no other WS was even closer to her, she would have taken a lot of pressure off of herself for later WCs and even taken some pressure off of herself at this Olympic games. Ironically, winning the Universaide does little to cement her legacy.

skhai91 likes this.
  14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    This Tokyo 2020 olympic is so unique. No Japanese players win gold at home.

All the world number 1 did not get gold medal. So, this is a good tip if you wanna bet against your buddies.;)

They will need to work very hard in Paris 2024 which is only 3 years away. So the trick is, do not be world number 1. Remember lcw?? ;)

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

IMO, it's Marin > Sindhu > TTY. Sindhu has 1 WC and that counts a lot in my book over TTY, despite TTY having won the Asia Games (WC > Asia Games in my view, because Asia Games is missing the best Europeans, like Carolina Marin). In the Asia Games where TTY won gold, Sindhu did win silver. Sindhu also matches TTY in OG silver, but now Sindhu has a bronze as well at the OG. Sindhu also has 2 silver WC medals, and 2 bronze WC medals, in addition to her WC gold.

Because I value the WC so much (I only think the OG is more prestigious than the WC), because Sindhu is so consistent at getting so many medals at the WC (1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze), that is an amazing feat that TTY hasn't reproduced.

TTY is good at "farming" the majors, but I find her lack of ability to even get a single medal at so many WC a bit unusual and for that reason, I think Sindhu is better at performing at the highest level tournaments.

skhai91, Anks and Baddyforall like this.
  16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If you observe tty character and attitude. Its a bit slack in the beginning always.

A lot of publicity and marketing on fb as well. Its her bread and butter I guess. Of course GLY is more vain and better in this department. Lol

She just need to buck up on 0-0. Its her own fault. She just have to screw herself up big time. ;)

17. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Three disappointments for me in this Olympics.
    1. Sindhu not getting gold.
    2. Despite winning all the Titles in books, they could not enter semis as usual. I am talking about Kevin/ Marcus.
    Indonesia need to start mental coaching to these two first. They are already good. They need a mental coach, so instead of spending money on Doubles coach, they have to spend on Mrntal coach.

3. Nozomi Okuhara - this time she could not win a medal. I really felt for her.

18. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    100% PVS is the undoubted "Queen Of Majors"
    The most consistent Major Tournament WS player of all time...I wish my Queen wins another WS medal she will make new World Record as the Only WS player with 6 WC Medals

anyone who denies the greatness of my Queen is a moron !

galaxyduo likes this.
  19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

That's the typical way TTY is beaten. Because of TTY's superior racket skills (deception, backhand smash, etc) on the WS circuit, TTY is typically controlling the rally and making her opponent run more. For TTY's opponent, they just need to retrieve everything, keep playing consistent, and wait for TTY to make the mistakes. In other words, TTY's opponents need to grind it out to beat her. And boy, did CYF grind it out today to beat TTY.

visor and kwun like this.
  20. Nine Tailed Fox

There is always Paris 2024 Gold as a reward if she wants to improve even more ;)