XXXII Tokyo OG 2020 : DAY-9 (1st August 2021) MS Semifinal, WS Bronze & Gold Medal Match

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Both my Joint Queens CM and PVS are undoubtedly the Greatest WS players of this time...Cant wait to see Queen Carol back in action and denying those who are still dreaming to win their first ever MAJOR Tittle :D

!! THEY ARE BACK WITH A VENGEANCE !!

stanleyfm likes this.
  2. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

The problem with CYF is that she has a weak smash. If CYF smashes from the back single's service rectangle, it means she expends a lot of energy into something that isn't very effective. I don't think CYF even got that many winners with her smash today. TTY often didn't have trouble returning CYF's smash, provided CYF smashed far away enough from the net. CYF's strategy today seemed to be effective because CYF reversed the AE loss to TTY from this year.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Are you talking overall or at majors? Overall TTY is definitely better than Sindhu for me at this point in time. Way more talented technically, more titles, had a really dominant period, more consistent performer overall. Medals aren't titles, in usual tournaments making the finals is barely remembered, much less making the semis, so I'd be careful about assigning them too much value (especially Bronze).
    But I can definitely see your view point, I just don't happen to think that the WC is SO far above the next important tournament that PVS edges out TTY.
    Keep in mind that this might well change in the future, PVS might play for years to come whereas TTY has already speculated about retirement in the past.

4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I'll keep it short. Indian non badminton audience holds WC and OG way above than tour events. So Sindhu ticks that category.

Neutral badminton fans will always keep tour events, major medals, longevity, career win loss as some factors to decide who's the best.

I think for neutral fans, (in terms of overall record) it'll always be

Marin > TTY > Sindhu.

But for Indian non badminton audience , it doesn't matter as long as Sindhu is bringing those major medals. Same major medals which the country is having dearth of.

LenaicM and j4ckie like this.
  5. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Sorry Im not a NEUTRAL FAN but TRUE FAN.

Im someone who has gotten the tittle of the BIGGEST INDIAN FAN by Legend Madam Gao Ling herself and a T Shirt signed by her and she has read my post too and my posts have been read by legends like Madam Gao Ling,Madam Camilla Martin and Sir Xia Xuanze.

As per Badminton Fans ( Diehard fans like myself ) We hold MAJOR ( Olympics and WC ) as the BIGGEST TOURNAMENTS in the badminton world.

It will always be

Queen Carol > Queen Sindhu > Tai Tzu Ying

UNTILL TTY wins a major Tittle ( WC or OG )

galaxyduo likes this.
  6. Baddie lover

My post wasn't directed to you. You have your opinion, I have mine.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Good distinction between different fan/viewer groups. Fair point.

Until I hear otherwise from a yet undefined authority I really respect, I will consider myself a true badminton fan. I don't see this topic the way you do. Always be careful about telling others what they are or aren't, I don't know on what authority you get to decide who's a true fan and who isn't. I respect your opinion, but I ask that you do the same in return and don't try to pass off people with opinions differing from your own as "not true fans".

I consider the OG and WC the most important tournaments just like you do, however I don't see them as an exclusive criterion by which to judge athletes' whole careers - what they do outside of them counts as well (to me). These matters are always subjective, which is why we can have nice little discussions about them (without ever coming to real conclusions :D).

Have a good day and stay passionate about badminton :)

Anks likes this.
  8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    You guys know who Zhang Ning is?

Are you still on diapers when she won 2 og gold?

Anks likes this.
  9. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I have a Post on Legend Madam Zhang Ning on my Thread...True Badminton fans know about this GOAT is !

She herself predicted CYF,TTY,PVS and NO as the medalists for these olympics as per what I have read from her recent interactions.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm...most people thinks she has a strong smash, in fact, Sindhu described CYF as having a powerful smash. Perhaps, you derive that perception from watching her matches here at the Olympics where she mostly didn't smash a lot nor very hard, probably sacrificing power for accuracy to avoid mistakes and conserve energy.

Maybe you should watch some of her other matches , available on youtube, to see if you still hold this opinion.

Anks likes this.
  11. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I watched CYF's match against HBJ yesterday in the semi-finals also. And I watched CYF before in other SS events (300+ events now with the new system), including her two AE finals.

For WS, I would say Sindhu has a strong smash in WS. I think Carolina Marin and TTY also have a strong smash. Relative to Sindhu, CM, and TTY, I would say CYF has a weaker smash compared to these 3, at least for my perception.

Anks likes this.
  12. Anks

Anks Regular Member

As of 2021 the fastest recorded smash by a WS player ever is by PVS which was recorded in WC 2019 against CYF which was 374 Kmph

Last record was held by Ratchanok of 372 Kmph !

the recording of that match with speed rating is already on BWF anyone who wants to take a look can watch it.

But Yes CYF does have a good smash speed too..Cant deny it

13. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

congratulation

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Perhaps I misunderstood you but you used the adjective 'weak' not 'weaker' to describe her smash in comparison.

Well, I guess, we might need to do an objective measurement of their respective smashes for a clearer answer; otherwise, it's only a matter of perception, hence subjective. Like I said, it was none other than Sindhu who said CYF has a powerful smash - that coming from someone on the receiving end of CYF's smashes on court, I don't think I'm in a position to doubt her.

Anks likes this.
  15. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Did anyone read TTY's Insta post ?
    She wrote PVS ran to her and hugged her and TTY started crying in her arms...OMG I love PVS so much more...I think I know why she did it because last year she was at Tai's place and shw understands exactly how Tai was feeling.

Im so glad PVS did her best to cheer Tai up and TTY also posted her pic along with PV :)

This is her post -:

第三度踏上這個夢想中的舞台,終於闖進了決賽,但無法站在最高的頒獎台上,總是有那麼一點遺憾,但不完美總是存在著,才有動力去追求更好的結果。
    或許我不會再有一次參加奧運的機會,但這個目標我也算達成了,只是不這麼完美。
    我只想告訴自己:戴資穎,妳很棒!

謝謝所有支持我的你們,結果總是很殘酷,也只能接受,但我盡力了。
    謝謝所有在這段期間給予我們幫忙的人,謝謝在日本的代表處,派了秘書在飯店幫我們處理各種問題。
    謝謝我的團隊們,在疫情期間一起不能回家,長時間的訓練。
    謝謝所有一切的一切❤️❤️❤️

分享一個小故事,比完賽下來之後,我本來對自己的表現還算滿意,後來辛度跑過來抱著我,捧著我的臉,告訴我:我知道妳很難受,妳已經表現的很好,只是今天不是妳的局。
    然後把我擁在懷裡說:她都知道。

那種真誠的鼓勵,害我直接爆哭…..
    真的太難過了,因為真的很努力了。

再次感謝大家的支持與鼓勵。
    謝謝你們一起陪我走到現在

jim4wd, Sumanth99 and Justin L like this.
  16. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    TTT made her usual unforced errors, what a loads of them! It's exciting to watch TTT play but her characteristic unforced errors must have given at least a half dozen points to her opponent, who has a rock solid defence and made far less unforced errors. Wish the other final matches were on today than on Monday, have to go to work.:(

visor likes this.
  17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

but then we wouldn't have got that legendary match between Okuhara and Sindhu hahahaa

18. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I think this sums up our years discussion

When we talk about legacy, there is the legacy accepted by the general public, and there is legacy accepted by badminton fans.

For the general public, they don't follow all tournaments, and thus the majors are the most important. This will creep into the general public as part of the popular culture/public knowledge. In general, that person will be more popular and kinda more 'legendary' than the other, especially in countries that are not completely into badminton.

Baddie lover likes this.
  19. Baddie lover

Yes, I agree. Legacy goes beyond just titles or major medals.

For some, a certain Nguyen Tienh Minh has a bigger legacy than Du Pengyu etc. It's really subjective.

stanleyfm likes this.
  20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Here is an old topic about it: https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...kevin-cordon-talent-in-abundance.58872/page-2 [https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ordon-talent-in-abundance.58872/#post-973298] (reaaaaly old even; another blast from the past now that I see him mentioned there, also from Guatemala: Pedro Yang. Might even be the one coaching Cordon ...)

#400 demolidor, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Justin L likes this.