XXXII Tokyo OG 2020 : DAY-9 (1st August 2021) MS Semifinal, WS Bronze & Gold Medal Match

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Good - by all accounts from fans who've met him, Chen Long is the nicest guy on the CHN national team.
    Doesn't deserve backlash for basically completing the Olympic medals mini-game :)

Anks likes this.
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think for badminton specific site like badmintoncn and also here, fans are true badminton fan and we understand how much effort and sacrifice the player had devoted to the game, and in general in awe with the players' skill, so we understand that there will be wins and losses, and there will be good and bad days.

however, there are also the more outside keyboard/armchair folks who has less respect, less understanding and less restraints on what they say. I see a lot more of those in more public places like youtube and fb comments sections. they can be attacking their own players or foreign players. Even in the US there are lots of those.

What's important for us as fans is to give players the respect they deserve, understand that they are humans, and that they have all worked hard for the sport and for our entertainment, and have realistic expectations, and support your players regardless of results.

PoLLuX, Cheung, ojayz and 8 others like this.
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ease up on the heater b*ner for VA, man... what'd he do to you? :D

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

And now CNN's turn. Reporting "Chinese badminton player's cursing hasn't gone well in S. Korea". Front page.

War of words: Badminton Korea Association unhappy about Chinese player's cursing at Tokyo 2020 - CNN

They could have, at least, use the correct acronym for the Badminton World Federation or BWF (They used WBF in their article).

I mean it's definitely not the best form of sportsmanship, we all agree on that, but to go front page for a few cursing words during a badminton match... One may wonder why.

Justin L and Anks like this.
  5. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Super true !! Im so lucky that I have gotten my posts read by legends themselves and offered them the much needed assurance of how important their contribution has been to badminton world...I feel its very important for us as true fans of the sport of badminton to make sure our players feel loved and respected and know that regardless of their achievements..they will always be loved for their time and memories they have given us to cherish forever !

kwun likes this.
  6. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I have a brother like friend in China's national team department and I was trying to reach him for more details about this report and I have asked him this question and he has told me that in China usually people dont like when Players lose in the olympic games because China gives very high importance to Olympics and players losing especially against Japan or Chinese Taipei is not liked but its not like everyone hates them...its just a minority of online trolls...He told me that majority of fans love and respect athletes and just like any othrr country there are these bunch of idiots which sadly the western media picks up and makes a huge fuss about.

And I couldnt agree more..BBC and CNN are full of crap they always talk against China and other asian countries and trying ti get them to fight against each other.

Plz dont pay attention to that post of mine and I request admins to plz delete that news article that I posted of BBC as I dont wanna promote fake propoganda !

Thanks

Suilven, Justin L and kwun like this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Personally I feel like this kind of bigotry/prejudice is worth pointing out. But even your friend confirms that these types of prejudices/tensions/... are indeed common...

Not my impression at all, in fact many news outlets are very happy to not report on things that would be front-page news and spark outrage elsewhere. I won't go into details as that would veer into political/societal discussion, but I strongly disagree with this statement of yours.

I feel like this is a far cry from 'fake propaganda'. The article even points out that it is a loud minority posting these insults and complaints. Obviously any article written by a human will always have some bias, that is unavoidable, but there's a wide gulf between some of an author's bias filtering in and outright fake propaganda.
    The article shows concrete examples of everything they talk about while providing the important perspective that it is not the majority acting that way, far from it. It is entirely unreasonable to refer to it that way (in my opinion, at least...).

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I guess they went front page because South Korea stated the intent of lodging a formal complaint...? They state in the article that the phrase doesn't carry the same stigma in the Chinese language as its translation does in the English one, and they even provided the example of Shi, which made me chuckle a bit (I think I referenced him earlier when this came up)...what seems a little disproportionate to me is the South Korean reaction, not the article itself.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

All I can say is, never depend too much on Western MSM (Mainstream Media) for your news sources, you need to balance them with alternative media, esp when geopolitics is involved where most of the time you don't get real journalism but propaganda, disinformation, fake news, particularly Op-eds written with a certain spin.

I mean, when less than half of Americans trust their traditional media (i.e.mainstream media) , that speaks volumes. Read https://www.axios.com/media-trust-crisis-2bf0ec1c-00c0-4901-9069-e26b21c283a9.html

Suilven and Anks like this.
  10. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Here is the interview of the GOAT Legend Madam Zhang Ning taken just before the tokyo olympics after she was inducted in the hall of fame and here she predicts the Olympic 2020 Medalists and she is absolutely right !!

She had predicted Chen Yu Fei,Tai Tzu ying and PV Sindhu (also Nozomi Okuhara)

https://www.breakinglatest.news/spo...w-with-badminton-olympic-champion-zhang-ning/

For some reson PVS playing style looks very similar to that of Madam Zhang Ning and Madam Xie Xingfang now I dont know if its because they are all of same height and play the shots exactly in same way or something else...does anyone knows why could it be so ?

Because I watch a lot of past matches of Madam Zhang and Madam Xingfang and their shots and movement around the court reminds me of present day Sindhu may be because she is the tallest player and thats why her court movements and style of play and cross court smashes and even One hop jump smashes are exactly like these two legends...Could it be because they have similar height and thats why such tall players have this style of play or is it something else ?

kwun likes this.
  11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Soiled my eyes with his ungainly, lumbering "style" :p

I've nothing against the lad, apart from that - he comes across very well, has shown many examples of good sportsmanship... but I just find him unpleasant to watch, being an old-skool fan from the early LCW days.

#451 Mark A, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

"Unhappy with cursing"? Wow - they'd have hated our clubs nights... they made Eddie Murphy Raw look like Downton Abbey.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you think western media is bad, you'll hate Russian ones with a passion :D also, I have strong doubts it's any better in many other countries that don't belong in the Western hemisphere (China certainly has a much lower press freedom index than all of Europe, for example, only beating out Eritrea, North Korea and Turkmenistan), so don't make it about Western or non-Western or whatever. That's not helping matters. American media isn't synonymous with western media by a long shot, so keep it confined to that and please don't throw us all into a bin with them, yeah? :)
    While caution is advised when consuming media, that applies to all media, not just mainstream ones. Check whether they provide sources. If they don't, take it with a huge grain of salt. If they do, check whether they misquote or misrepresent the sources. US msm barely qualifies as a news source these days, but anyone with half a brain is aware of that...:D

Martynas likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's your assumption, I come to my own conclusion based on my own research, analyses and critical thinking, as well as comparing competing arguments, and I expect you to do the same. As for your press freedom index, which rating agency, what criteria used, how sure are you of their impartiality and objectivity? And by the way, how do they rate the American MSM, the same or at odds with the American public?

As for, say, German MSM,I admit unfamiliarity as they don't publish in English and I don't read German. Still, have you heard of Udo Ulfkotte? Read https://www.amazon.com/Presstitutes-Embedded-Pay-CIA-Confession/dp/1615770178 with an open mind.

Regarding your point in paragraph 2, I couldn't agree with you more, the exact same advice I'd dish out to everyone. Suffice to say that, any country's MSM that shares the same news sources as the American/Western MSM, and they almost always do, then forget it, you better know what you're getting into. You'd be very surprised, even shocked - most of the international news coverage in Western media is provided by only three global news agencies based in New York, London and Paris.

Do you know how many Chinese people travel abroad annually the past few years alone? Averaging 100 over million, in 2019 it reached 154 million ! As for the number of Chinese students studying overseas - in America at any one time, up to about 372,000 the last two years; In UK, around 216,000; in France more than 30,000; in Germany nearly 40,000; in Japan over 100,000; in South Korea more than 50,000; just to name a few. My point is while overseas, they are constantly exposed to Western media about their own country, yet, I can assure you, they generally trust their own Chinese media much more than, say, the Americans do their own national MSM. Not only that, the average Chinese knows and understands America better than the other way round. I think you get my drift.

Anyway, trust is a very personal thing, I don't for a moment suppose we can convince each other to change our minds on such a sensitive subject that touches on our values and beliefs. Suit yourself. Enough said.

[Frankly, I've a lot more to say but this is not the right platform and I think the moderator won't want us to go too far off-topic. Never mind, to each his own.]

#454 Justin L, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  15. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

A few cursing words? She is literally screaming f*** every single point across the whope stadium at the peak of her voice. If she does this in a subway, probably people will think she need psychiatric help

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Your fixation on America is a bit weird to me, I have nothing to do with the US and they have their own problems.
    Trust in media is not a great indicator for the accuracy or impartiality of those news, imop. Authoritarian regimes often succeed in generating (or faking) great numbers in those regards (e.g. Putin's party once won an election where in several cities, votes added up to over 110%... ). I don't think you would had a majority openly proclaim they didn't trust Stalin's government/media, for example. And please don't misconstrue this as a statement about China being one thing or another.
    Just a quick question. Do Chinese media report on the concentration camps they have in their country, for the Uyghurs for example? I really don't want to get into it deeper than that, as that's far off-topic. I just find it very hypocritical to say "Western media are always against China/Asia" when all I've seen posted here, in regards to badminton, was factual reporting, and included important context when needed - and yet you seem to consider Chinese media better than that.

Regarding the press freedom index: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index
    The US is not near the top, as that seems of particular interest to you. Theyre in spot 44, China in 177 out of 180.

#456 j4ckie, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Was hard to tell with a mask and a hat on earlier but seems his coach is from Indonesia, former player who once trained at the PB Djarum centre:

[​IMG]

"Tahukah, Sobat?

Ternyata, pelatih yang mengantarkan Kevin Cordon ke semifinal #OlimpiadeTokyo2020 yang bernama Muamar Qadafi (what a name!) adalah mantan atlet Indonesia, yang dulu pernah berlatih di PB Djarum. Wah, mimin bangga!"

#457 demolidor, Aug 6, 2021
    Justin L and kwun like this.
  18. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I like Japan team but the winners deserve.

See you at Thomas/Uber Cup
    230587711_1159895301158136_6210477420493127425_n.jpg

visor, Woesi, j4ckie and 4 others like this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How can America be even a tiny bit irrelevant when we talk about the Western world where America is the world hegemon and undisputed leader who sets the agenda, calls the shots and all her allies (and vassal states) fall into line without question, though that is showing some signs of waning lately?!

"Trust in media is not a great indicator for the accuracy or impartiality of those news"? Then what or how does the World Press Freedom Index base the ratings on? Talking about wikipedia, are you not aware Wikipedia co-founder Larry Sanger says the website can't be trusted anymore and is “badly biased,” and "no longer has an effective neutrality policy", as well as the many criticisms , list of controversies, etc.?

As for the World Press Freedom Index by RSF (Reporters Without Borders),what about, which country takes it seriously, is it a universally accepted standard-bearer of freedom of the press, a concept which like freedom of expression is not absolute and not infrequently abused, problematic, even in America? Hmm...Germany slipped to 13th in 2021 ranking; oh, the US at 44 despite all the lying and intrigues, so China has to be near rock bottom as if the 150 million Chinese frequent travelers and overseas students don't have a mind of their own.

Who decides what an authoritarian regime is? Just because it's not a liberal democracy , it must be authoritarian? No, it's not so clear-cut. It's none other than former US president Jimmy Carter who as far back as 2013 said America is no longer a democracy but an oligarchy, and I'd add also a plutocracy and aristocracy, or, to be exact, it's a plutocratic oligarchy who runs the country and controls the nation's 'news' media. Read https://www.brainerddispatch.com/opinion/jimmy-carter-america-no-longer-democracy.

And you seem to have your fixations on Russia/Putin-hating and anti-China bias and prejudices. Whether you like him or not, what's Putin's approval rating? According to NGO Levada Center, an independent pollster, it reached a high of 89% in June 2015 to as low as 59% in May 2020, most of the time hovering around 65%, not to mention he was re-elected as Russian President for the 4th time in 2018 with more than 76% of the vote, putting all the western democratically elected leaders to shame. Your charge that "votes added up to over 110%" refers to Putin's party or Putin himself? Any proof or mere allegations?

Your quick question on the so-called concentration camp for the Uyghurs in Xinjiang tells me where you are coming from. As you've strongly advised, let's seek truth from facts. What's your news source(s), where is the evidence? There Is None. Nothing. Zilch. Zero ! I'd have thought an open-minded, intelligent, analytical thinker like you to do better than to take anything at face value and that you know where to search for alternative news sites (using various web browsers to get round some of the censorships) so as to weigh the arguments on either side against one another and consider a wider range of angles before reaching your conclusion. Read https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202106/1226834.shtml

Well, it's obvious our conversation, debate and argument is going nowhere, an exercise in futility. I'm done. Thank you.

#459 Justin L, Aug 6, 2021
    Suilven likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, if I'm not wrong, I heard the commentator said something like a certain Indonesian coach but when you mentioned it could be Pedro Yang, I thought I must've misheard.

demolidor likes this.