Predicting Indian Representation in Paris

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by Airos, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Since Tokyo show is over, I am already thinking about Paris. And it's not that far away.(3 years)

First of all, this time we were only competing for 3 medals in badminton(out of a maximum of 10).
    I hope in Paris, we can fight for more medals in badminton.

Who do you guys think can make it to Paris and in Paris?
    According your assessment, who are most likely to make it?

Because it's only 3 years from now, so I think whoever will make it to Paris - we probably have already heard their names by now. Although it's possible that some improved players' performance have gone under the radar because of corona.

MS

Srikanth looked so promising in Rio.But now he looks like a pale shadow of himself.
    HS Pronnoy's ranking has dropped a lot as well.
    Sai Praneeth won WC bronze in 2019, but underperformed in Tokyo.

Sameer and Sourabh Verma will be competing to be in Paris as well.

We also have youngsters like Lakshya Sen, Siril Verma, Aditya Joshi, Maisnam Meiraba, Varun Kapur etc.
    Perhaps Lakshya, currently ranked 24(and was 23), will be our biggest hope if he is trained properly.

We also have senior players like P.Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram who might have an outside chance to make it.

WS

Sindhu will very likely be our biggest hope in Paris as well.
    Saina isn't that old. May be she will bounce back and take a shot in Paris.

A whole host of other names can also make it.

Rituparna Das(peak rank 44) and Ruthvika Shivani(peak rank 49) have proven that they are at least Kirsty Gilmour level.

Vaishnavi Reddy briefly reached a ranking of around 50, but since then it has been all downhill for her.
    Rasika Raje also briefly reached rank under 100 (at 95), but then it got worse for her.
    Shreyanshi Pardeshi also reached a rank little under 150 (at 139) but then it got worse.

Asmita Chaliha is currently ranked 91.
    Mugdha Agrey is currently ranked 96.

Promising youngsters whose names I have heard are - Gayatri Gopichand, Tasnim Mir, Samiya Farooqui etc.

MD

I normally don't follow doubles that closely. But I am keeping an eye on MD.
    I am optimistic about Chirag/Satwik duo.

XD and WD

In WD I guess Ashwini and Siki are the way to go.
    In XD, may be Ashwini(and siki) should pair up with some youngster and go for it.
    However, in both WD and XD, I can't imagine more than 1 pair qualifying.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Those were the preliminary names that came to my mind as potential candidates.

2. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Most probables you stated look more suited for Rio 2016 than Paris 2014!

3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

MS- Lakshya. No KS, BSP, HSP, PK, AJ, SV
    WS- Sindhu
    MD- SatwikChirag
    WD- NA
    XD- NA

4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I have said this before and saying again, Priyanshu is the most promising mens junior I have seen skillwise, It bums me out that there is nothing about him since last 2years. I really wish to see him in Paris but very long way for him.

My prediction:
    MS: LS, KS/Sameer
    WS: Sindhu
    MD: SatChi, Krishna Prasad/Vishnu.

MS2, MD2 possible only if they perform to their potential.

5. Baddie lover

For doubles, they have to be in top 8
    For singles they have to be in top 16. I don't see KS, Sameer to be in top 16 after 3 years.

6. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think these high salaried foreign coaches should look after more players than one player or pair.

Agus: LS, KS, Sameer, Priyanshu.
    Park: PV + couple of juniors (MS/WS)
    Boe: SatChi, KPG/VG (Boe is already training both of them) + one good junior pair.

7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Like I said, MS2, MD2 possible only if they perform to their potential.
    Focused training is needed from day 1, else not possible.

8. Baddie lover

You think MD2 will be in top 8 in 3 years even if they perform to their potential ? That's a bold statement. MS2 can come in top 16 if they're in form. For MD2 , things will be clear once that pair start graduating from IC level to 100, 300 and then 500+.

9. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yes, last time in Asian games our MD2 almost beat daddies, potential is there in our MD like KPG, DK, VG, under Boe I am expecting good improvement.

10. Baddie lover

Hmm Asian team Championship. Potential is there, but that needs to be churned out into consistent performance. From Dhruv, Krishna we saw only one match. They have played in IC, 100 event. Not done much there. In 3 years, I think them coming in top 25 is possible but top 8, I'm not that optimistic. Let's see.

11. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I know that many of them are out of form, but almost all of them except P Kashyap and Ajay J will be under 35 in Paris. And the majority will be under 30.
    Also, because of Covid, we really don't know much about who are (back) in form. We will know by the end of the year 2021, because there are many tournaments.

So, what is your pick then?

I forgot about Priyanshu Rajawat. Yes, he was impressive in PBL.

I sure hope that at least in MS and WS we are able to send 2 players instead of 1.

12. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    The only realistic chances to qualify are satwik/chirag (if they don't get an injury) and Sindhu (although in all probability, she'd be on a decline by then). Even if new players come on the scene, it would take an exceptional talent to qualify in three years (someone like An Seyoung). Even Lakshya couldn't achieve it. He has been around for few years already. Lakshya could qualify next olympics but he hasn't shown enough potential to trouble the top players, yet.

Baddie lover likes this.
  13. Baddie lover

Yes you're right. I think Lakshya path was made more difficult due to tournaments cancellation. If covid weren't there, maybe he could have qualified just maybe. Also, Lakshya didn't take advantage of whatever matches he got during the pandemic. He still hasn't reached that phase where he can be dependable. Lost many matches which he should have won. Let's see in 3 years time, what he does.

14. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Lakshya might have achieved it if he had more tournaments- many were cancelled due to covid. He did well in All England.

And I wonder who can be India's An Se-young.

15. Baddie lover

Lakshya has beaten two top players as of now- Lee Cheuk and Jonatan Christie. He did really well against Axelsen in AE. Also, he lost to Mark and HKV. Last two matches, if he would have won that would have given him more confidence but the manner in which he played those matches was unsatisfactory. Still young, needs to do a lot. He's my best shot for next gen MS.

Priyanshu, Maisnam are good but need to do more in IC level. I guess Maisnam hasn't yet played IC due to covid canceling tournaments. Varun Kapur, need to see more of him.

Lakshya and then Maisnam, Priyanshu will spearhead next gen I'm guessing.

Airos likes this.
  16. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What would have happened had LS played more tournaments?
    Let me guess: He would have lost more often, get to realize that he has a lot to learn, quickly understands the for need more variety and competitive environment and sparring, experienced/seasoned international coaching, tactical training etc. Then he will take required actions and will realize his potential in the following season. So this entire phase which is very essential got delayed for LS unfortunately.

LenaicM likes this.
  17. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    People can disagree with me here but I don't trust the competitive spirit and sparring quality of PPBA, not confident the level is adequate enough to help LS reach where he want to go.

18. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

LS, Satwik/Chirag and Sindhu. That's all, i could predict. Tasnim Mir might have a chance

19. Baddie lover

Read my full post :)

20. Baddie lover

I agree. Better sparring partners would be available at Gopi Academy. Also he could avail the services of Agus and Park. But I'm sure that trip to Hyd won't happen. Lakshya would be more comfortable with Vimal and Prakash. Also, PPBA won't let go of their golden boy so easily. It's a pity how this works in India. I wish we had a centralized coaching centre and no vested interests.