India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Surely, the draw was easy. Sen should have capitalized and won it. But as badmuse said and we all can agree, there are some off days for a player (haven't seen how Koya played against him, but it's one of those scenarios where Sen is expected to win). Sen was unlucky that third player wasn't there in his group. That's his luck. What's done is done. Now Koya needs to show that was not a one off result and needs to put on more of these kinds of performances.

2. Baddie lover

You'll see a lot of these kinds of comments from Indian players irrespective of sports "I will qualify for next Olympics" , "Had I done that, I would have got a medal", "I'll do this and be in top 10 by xyz years" , "I'll bring OG medal (some Olympians who barely qualified for OG) ".

These comments look nice when some work is done to achieve this. Otherwise it seems bland.

3. Airos

Airos Regular Member

May be, but why were Rituparna and Ruthvika not playing in the selection trials?

With Ruthvika, I guess her ranking has fallen too much.
    But Rituparna is currently #6 Indian player in terms of BWF rankings and she has played only about half the tournaments played by the 5 ranked above her . So she should have been in the trials.

4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

In game 2, Lakshya wasn't happy with a line call. He lost focus and gifted a few points losing the game 17-21`. Yes, he should have won but lost.
    Meiraba also had at least 2 bad line calls in the final in Latvia, while he wasn't happy with the calls. He focussed on the next points and won the match.

Srikanth and Sai Praneeth in the trials would have given a good indication of form. Srikanth is also famous for losing matches to anyone. Testing everyone's form would have given a better outcome or the best possible team. Now we have 2 in form players and 2 we are not sure (Srikanth and Praneeth).

Baddyforall likes this.
  5. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Definitely more players should have been a part of the trials. It's the only way new talent will rise and players will not take their places for granted.

Airos likes this.
  6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Samiya, Sankar and Lakshmi have withdrawn from Mexico IC, Akarshi is still there. Samiya is supposed participate in Brazil International Series while all the other upcoming players are heading to Ukraine.

Travelling all the way to South and North America for low level tournaments is not recommended. It's more expensive and getting used to the time difference in such a short time are a challenge. Players should just pick tournaments in Europe, Asia and Africa.

7. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    LS lost in round 1, his current form indicate he shouldn't go. Regarding KS & BSP, BSP would lose in R1 not sure how KS is though.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Best thing is to select to 6 from the qualifying + BSP, KS and conduct a tourney to select 4 players.

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

If Kiran George was in the same group with Sameer. Sameer would have also lost in Round 1.

Baddyforall likes this.
  10. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yep probably.

11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

2 inform players ?. You mean Meiraba and kiran?
    And also, we need patience. If Lakshya sen looses patience for silly things , great things that we are expecting from him will be hindered. And also he left after finishing one match?. It is not clear whether they informed him before he left about matches he need to play for ranking. But he left when all others are staying . These are the qualities that makes difference between good and the best. Hope success wont get into his head

#4211 Baddyforall, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Baddie lover and Sumanth99 like this.
  12. Baddyforall

I saw his one match . His quality of shots are of international standards . My goodness.

13. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You spoke gold.

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

The 2 in form players from this selection trial are the top 2 ranked players. Kiran George and Sameer Verma.

15. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I can see @badmuse point.
    Lakshya is top 25 player and arguably in recent times (like in AE), he has done better than Sai Praneeth and Srikanth.
    So if Praneeth and Srikanth can get a free pass, probably Lakshya should too.
    It is unfair to say that he is "out of form " based on just one loss. The very fact that he is in top 25 shows that his form has been decent in the last 1 year.

But I do agree that LS is impatient.
    Even against S.Koya, apart from the line call, his loss was partly because Koya was defending well and so LS was not getting easy points and as a result he was getting impatient and making unforced errors.

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.
  16. Baddie lover

Couldn't have said any better. I echo the same sentiments.

Airos likes this.
  17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

I just want a fair system for all Indian players. The only players who were in form before the selection trials were PV Sindhu, Satwik/Chirag. Other than them no one else should have been given a 'free pass' The lack of tournaments has hit all players really hard. Even Saina has been losing in early rounds.

All the players except PV Sindhu, Satwik/Chirag should have been made to attend the trials. This would have given an indication of form and given the players valuable match practice.

We may have our differences but all of us on this forum want the best for the Indian players. We want to see them blossom and showcase themselves at their best. India has a lot of talent waiting to be nurtured. We patiently wait for the day India becomes a badminton powerhouse! :)

18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Agree, KS and BSP should have played trails. LS who lost in R1 he shouldn't get selected, single loss etc bs won't cut it, this is Sud TUC we are talking about and only players who can defeat opponents with big margins deserve a chance (reality is different though), had KS & BSP played trails and lost I'd say the same.
    I hope KG who deserve the chance prepare well & practice hard, hope they conduct a 2/3 week training camp for KG + selected players with Agus/Park.

I watched little WS but really likes the stability of Bansod's game. Which academy is she from?

Dinku-Manjit got an interesting game (only watched few points), they need to hone those lovely skills.

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Malvika Bansod trains in Raipur, Chattisgarh. I wouldn't call it an academy as it just has a small structure with 2 courts. Just basic facilities but a good coach, Sanjay Mishra. Not an easy place to train in difficult conditions.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  20. Baddyforall