Fast Swing Speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by penguinn11, Apr 23, 2010.

1. penguinn11

penguinn11 Regular Member

Hi Guys,

This is my 1st post since joining, please help me as much as possible.

I always come across the term fast swing speed, but how do you actually define fast swing speed? As I know, u can handle a stiff racket if you have a fast swing speed, but how fast is fast? I saw all the pros actually swing very fast with their arms or wrists, but not all of them are using stiff rackets, so I get confuse even more.

If anyone here could help with explanation or even video clips of showing the difference between fast swing and slower swing speed may help to clear my doubts...

Thanks in advance...

2. penguinn11

Hey guys,

This is my 1st post and no guru actually bother to reply to me?

Those that know the answer, please spare some time to reply me, as I really wanna know the difference between the fast and slow swing speed. This can help to choose flex or stiff racket as well...

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Fast swing speed is exactly what it sounds like: you can make the racket head move fast. All other things being equal, a faster swing will cause a more powerful shot (the shuttle travels faster).

As for racket shaft stiffness -- well, you can dream up elaborate theories about what racket "should" be optimal for a particular player. The racket manufacturers encourage this kind of thinking with their marketing. They suck you into analysing which product should be right for you, because once you've started thinking like that -- "Nanospeed or Arcsaber? Model X or Model Y?" -- you're psychologically committed to buying one of their products.

It's the oldest trick in the book, yet surprisingly few consumers are aware of it. ;)

The reality is that, in defiance of all theories about which racket "should" be optimal, top players choose rackets that they like the feel of. And that's how I suggest you choose a racket: how does it feel to you?

#3 Gollum, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    well said gollum!

5. penguinn11

Thanks Gollum,

It sort of explain my doubt in the issue.

But isnt everybody can have a fast swing speed than? So whats the use of a low swing speed?

As for the racket, so we do not actually need to care about shaft stiffness? Just get those rackets that we have feel for?

6. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I think swinging slow is for slow shots, you do not swing particularly fast for a slow drop compared to say a smash.

You might want to consider the shaft stiffness because say you test two rackets and one gives you more power. It may be advantageous for you to choose that one assuming the rackets are identical in other aspects.

You might get more power in one racket but have more difficulty in defense because of the shaft stiffness or weight. There is a trade off...

So like Gollum said it's players preference.

7. penguinn11

Thanks ionoo,

i think i understand more of the swing speed, will experiment and enjoy the game at the same time...:)

8. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    guys does body weight relate to the swing speed of the racket?
    Just curious...

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Fast swing speed in badminton simply means the speed of the racquet coming in contact with the shuttle. You can have fast swing speed and you can have fast swing speed and the two can have different power.
    Fast swing speed itself does not necessarily result in great power.

Fast swing speed depends mainly on how fast your forearm and wrist/hand swings or hits at the shuttle. The forearm and wrist/hand by themselves, even if executed at great speed, do not necessarily result in great power.

To have that the rotation of the body, the whole arm and the proper technique, together with fast swing speed of the forearm and wrist/hand, will yield great power like in a full-blooded smash.

However, one can hit a shuttle at great speed with a mere snap of the wrist/hand, ala Zhao Jianhua of China, from mid court across the net on the other side. This very limited movement of the wrist/hand and a little of the forearm cannot produce great power, but for the shorter distance diagonally across the net it is so fast the opponent will be put under presuure to reply well.

Also fast swing speed can only be executed with a very relaxed arm/body in which all the muscles are relaxed and not contracted (the movement prior to shuttle contact looks very relaxed and may even look a bit in slow motion), before shuttle contact.

TuukaKuuga likes this.
  10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

In addition, fast swing speed also requires the racquet to be strung at higher tension. Low tensions are not conducive to fast swing speed because the string's longer elongation robs you of that split second start that high tensions have.

11. penguinn11

Thanks taneepak,

So can I assume that a snap of the wrist also means a fast swing speed?

So what happen if you happen to have a fast swing speed and your racket is even balance and not stiff shaft, you cant perform at your best?

So what is the use of slow swing speed than? Is there any advantages?

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, a mere snap of the wrist is good enough, that is if it is properly executed. However, pls note that simple mere snap of the wrist also invovles the hand, fingers, and forearm working together.

Whether the racquet is even balance or stiff or not so stiff is not relevant, although a very stiff racquet might be better because of less "elapsed" time.

A slow swing speed like a simple block has its place in the sun too. An example is when under great pressure, like retrieving a very difficult smash in which you can just manage to extend your racquet to block the shot.

Fast swing speed is very devastating when used with deception, and this can only be done when the whole body/arm is super-relaxed before the strike.

13. penguinn11

so in order to be able to execute all strokes correctly will be tons of practice...

so that bit of "elapsed" time is not that important or relevant even though you are swinging fast...?

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You actually need a coach who knows and then practice. The latter without the former or someone to teach you the grip and stroke execution may be a lot of wasted energy.

Stiff racquets will swing faster, AOTBE, and assuming you know how to do it. Just like stiff racquets, stiff string bed from high tensions also swing faster.

15. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    i like to use snap of wrist combined with a slice to vary the pace and maybe win the point off the deception :p

16. penguinn11

so stiff racket or flex racket suit your style of play?

17. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    If i am not wrong , the fastest swing speed racket is Nanoflare 700 and 800 ..