How can I solve my problem??o play consistently and avoid unforced errors (in singles)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nihal, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Hi,

I am an intermediate singles player, have good technique, mostly an attacking game style, pretty good defense.
    But a lot lately I've been watching a lot of badminton and I'm trying to implement the things and strokes they do into my game. And I'm just making too many errors, even on 1v1 training, I just can't get even the overhead drops sharp, either hit the net or too high and loopy. If I do a smash, the coach usually returns with a fast dive to my backhand or forehand and I usually miss that too.

During matches, I make too many mistakes, either too long shots or just hit the net.

2. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Is it that I am trying to "over" do my shots?

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Is there a chance that you make a video of one of your upcoming matches and share it in here? There are so many possible reasons behind supposedly unforced errors that it's close to impossible to nail that down without seeing some actual footage of you on court.

And the second thing - what does your coach say to this?

Nihal likes this.
  4. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

I will try to record my match clips and training clips (if the coach and player allows) and I'll update you on it.

My coach says, try to clear the shot first, don't try to do fancy stuffs, just make it straightforward. Ig I am becoming better at reducing mistakes now but at match, no scope for me

s_mair likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

In general, that's a good advice. The only problem is that in a challenging match, it just won't be enough to play safe clears all the time. So it's all about finding the right amount of risk to pressure your opponent while still playing safe - and that's the lifelong struggle of a lot of players (all?). Just ask Tai Tzu Ying. :rolleyes:

But apart from the whole risk thing, there can be a lot of things in your technique that cause the high error rate and that's where a video is the perfect tool to identify certain things.

Nihal likes this.
  6. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Okay :)
    Haha, will try that if I can contact Tai Tzu Ying (also hope she understand English cuz idk Chinese)

Yeah, maybe I try to act like the professionals and I'm just doing it wrong.
    will try to record my session today.
    Cuz I go for training 5 days a week for 2 hours, but most of it is just shuttle picking and rakcet shadow, fitness blah blah.

Thanks anyways

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good advice. It takes time to use this tactic in your games and you don’t notice it at first.

In general, when we are learning we try to copy the pros, we copy the shots which win points. We tend not to see the build up play which are the shots that don’t win points but still put pressure on the opponent.

Make sure your clears are good clears. Good clears are those which go over the opponents racquet and forces them to hit the shuttle near the back tramlines. They don’t have to be really accurate to the sidelines but they must go over the opponent to make the opponent take backward steps to the back of the court. In your practice, try to play clearing rallies with your coach. Try to play 10 clears in a row and if that’s not hard enough, then 20 clears and then 30 clears in a row. :)

Then in your practice matches, try to set a target of when you receive high serve, play a really good clear that is in - no need to go close to the sideline. If the opponent plays a clear back to you, play another good clear. Set an aim not to make a mistake in the first four shots that you play. I think you will find the opponent start to take chances in smashing, dropshots and trying to play the the sidelines and failing these shots.

In addition, you need to practice your high serves by yourself with lots of shuttles. Set a target of getting 18 out of 20 high serves in the back tramlines. It takes a lot of hours of practice. If you are able to do these basic strokes consistently and very well in a match , your opponent will have a lot of pressure, start to make mistakes gifting you points. You will feel less pressure and be more confident in making your other shots.

Nihal and ucantseeme like this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It’s important to build up strong technique and confidence in your movements. Hard work here pays off when rallies are longer, or both you and opponent are tired or tiebreak situations. Keep up the good work.

Nihal likes this.
  9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

being a casual & no coach player, i know really well. I like to do fancy stuff back then.
    Seeing some good player did a trickshot or something, i would try to mimic those all the time making alot of unforcefull error, or a stupid unnecesary shot. Like for example doing a cross smash when straight one is better or doing cross net shot when straight is empty.

Having more card in our hand is good but learning that on games would makes us want to do it all the time forgeting what should you do & what must not do. Try learn it outside games at 1st, repeat those fancy shot on warming up or feeding stroke (no games).

Like when i saw KM youtube about how to do net shot (fencing like technique). Im exchanging net shot with friend repeatly for few weeks & by the time im used to it, i can naturally do it in games when needed without to much error or it become a fancy trick just to look cool.

Nihal likes this.
  10. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Tysm for ur kind words. I think so I am more advanced in level than playing 30 or 40 clears in a row. I focus just on not to make mistakes.
    Thanks anyways :)

11. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Yeah true, but I just find it annoying tho I know its just for my good :)

12. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Happy to relate with you
    Thanks for your kind words :)

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You can play 30-40 clears in a row and all can reach the back tramlines and stay in? If you are that advanced, then why do you have a problem? :D

If you are making mistakes, then you aren’t really so advanced as you might think. ;)

Nihal and speCulatius like this.
  14. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

30 40 clears in a row but not in a match :(
    I just start to get nervous and stuffs and just toss it too flat or out
    I can do clears easily from the tramline to tramline but using it in a match is a different situation as you might have some pressure and stuffs

15. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Also I just fall for a lot of deceptions and I just don't defend well during high pressure matches.
    Even though my defence and footwork is really good (acc to my coach) I just don't know what to do in each situation :(
    I guess I need to work on my anticipation skills now and to handle pressure

16. Budi

Budi Regular Member

get your head out of the winning stuff & focus more on the games itself.

Like i said, im casual no coach player.
    Before i never play in real tournament in my life. My 1st tournament are when im working, my co worker sign my name for joining the company group tournament without my knowing.
    On early stage where its actually easy games as not all company had good player but they send their representative just to join the celebration. But funny its not easy for me to win it. Im just super nervous & my mind full of thing. Like what if i do wrong, what if my smash get countered, what if my..., what if..., & so many what if.... Im just so fear of losing & so much burden on me coz im carrying my company name.
    Btw its team match formation. On the semi final we meet a strong team. 1 of the player are ex national champ. At that time we all know, whoever meet him it will be a lost. As im new there & had play with my team for short time, my teamwork would be the worst with anyone so i tell my team, set up 2 best team & give the rest pair with me, i will sacrifice myself facing the ex champ. Im still losing but surprisingly without any burden of losing (quite obvious) i can play way better & not getting beaten badly. I really enjoy the games without to much thing in my mind & play my 100%.

Nihal likes this.
  17. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

yeah, mental health should also be stable.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, appreciate it :)

18. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

This is okay and quite naturally for this sport. The one who make less misstakes will win the match.

A good player should be able to do the following (it is basically what Cheung said):
    In a training match, play every single shot high to the backline, no attack, no drop, only lifts and clears. A good clear/lift should not be really attackable at your level. Now look what happens:
    1. Your lifts/clears went out: you need a lot more practise with them
    2. Your oppenent attacks with hard smashes: your lift/clears are too short, they need a better length
    3. You are unable to reach clears from your opponent: you are too slow, check your footwork
    4. Your opponent beats you with drop shots: you need to be aware of the shot options your opponent has
    5. You are out of stamina: you have a good opponent, you need better fitness
    6. You win easily: you have quite good hitting skills, try to find a better opponent and repeat

This is really hard to pull off in a match.

A clear and lift is easy to learn, hard to master. It is more difficult to play than it seems. You need to play with good power, good high and good depth, this is quite challenging when under pressure.

Cheung and Nihal like this.
  19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

makes me remember very long ago when a nice skilled player teach me how to do clear. 1st time my face turn white & out of breath:oops:. Really really tiring repeatly doing clear shot over & over again:confused:.
    But when you know & able to do it properly, its not so much tiring but consistently doing it under preasure are another level to learn.:D

Cheung likes this.
  20. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Wise words!
    Appreciate your time and effort :)